Matrix oil filter removal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
thumbsup2.gif

Don't over-tighten the cap back on after changing the cartridge filter, but don't have the cap too loose to fall off while driving either.

And another piece of unsolicited advice: Buy a new cap from your Toyota dealer.

Originally Posted By: kohnen
thumbsup2.gif

Don't over-tighten the cap back on after changing the cartridge filter, but don't have the cap too loose to fall off while driving either.

And another piece of unsolicited advice: Buy a new cap from your Toyota dealer.

Maybe, later, for cosmetic reasons. I think I was quoted $68
All seems well now, my welded removal cap/tool is still on the housing (and probably will remain there for ever-more).

Look around on line - the PARTS website has the following:

Engine / transaxle, Engine parts, Filter case Filter case - 1.8 liter is $29.91

You aren't in a hurry to replace it, so you can take your time, and shop by price online.

Surely you can take a picture of your "grade school welding project" and share it with us? Hehe.

thumbsup2.gif

If it was mine, I'd use the low end of the torque spec and go with that when installing.

I can't believe how tight that thing was on there.

Originally Posted By: db130
Surely you can take a picture of your "grade school welding project" and share it with us? Hehe.

Not in a million years ;-)

But it worked, even if it does add 5lbs to the GVW

Oh, I have to add, the MIG welder came back without my helmet, so I welded with closed eyes.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
thumbsup2.gif

If it was mine, I'd use the low end of the torque spec and go with that when installing.

I can't believe how tight that thing was on there.

MUST have been an air wrench.
The 'O' ring does the sealing, it only need be as tight as to not un-do itself. There is even a clip to prevent the holder turning.

The Toyota dealer did my first change. Same problem - too tight. I ended up spraying it with some Blaster, then using a 5" piece of square stock and a hammer. The cap has 2 square ledges for the locking clip. I put the square stock on the ledge not by the clip and kept tapping with a hammer. After 20 or so hits, it started to move. Worried the entire time I would crack the plastic cap...

I ran into that on my TDI Golf (well, it was the wife's but I gradually made the car mine). On the first oil change I did myself, the one prior had been done by a dealership. Overtightened, couldn't get it off. Had to get a metal cap style wrench which my brother mailed to me, since he was closer to the US border, and the only place I knew with the right one was Autozone (based on posts by others with that engine). Put a dry rag between the cap wrench and filter housing, turned the thing with my ratchet and the spot welds gave. Took a channel lock and wrapped it around the now stuck on cap, and it finally freed after some force. Left the wrench cap on there.

Glad to hear you got it off. I've run into the same problem on various Corollas at work. The Snap-On cap wrenches combined with a 3 foot breaker bar usually do the job but I have had to turn away one person's car when the cap was so rounded off that even the Snap-On cap wouldn't grip.

Originally Posted By: teambeechstreet
Glad to hear you got it off. I've run into the same problem on various Corollas at work. The Snap-On cap wrenches combined with a 3 foot breaker bar usually do the job but I have had to turn away one person's car when the cap was so rounded off that even the Snap-On cap wouldn't grip.

I work at a toyota dealer and i a 3/8" socket cap, execpt when there on there tight and i get the "Assenmacher" Aluminum cap and a 3 foot breaker bar. Get's it every time. I have yet to run into one that is so rounded a have to turn it town, but you can tell when someone has used the wrong tool. The cap is usually fubar'd.

use a paper towel around the filter, then put a filter wrench on top of the paper towel/oil filter. then take it off. I had to use this technique for the factory oil filter from a 06 pontiac vibe.

Hi guys, sorry to resurrect such an old thread. I purchased a 2010 Matrix last week and took it in for an oil change at a friend's shop. He was unable to get the Oil Filter Cap off as it seems to have been mangled at some point in the past. I've read through this thread, don't have access to a welder to make my own tool, LOL. Is there a way to attach a picture of the cap's condition and get an opinion of how I should proceed?

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
I would break down and take it in to a reputable mechanic, watch them do the job and make sure they DON'T torque it back on. The problem with the screw driver is if it doesn't work you are (forgive the pun) screwed. Take it to a professional.

I couldn't agree more! If you drive a screwdriver through the canister and if you're really unlucky and the canister separates from the base...then what do you do? The base is stuck on the block and your options to remove it are very limited!

Also, once you pierce the canister body you can't drive the car! So if you STILL can't get the filter off...you're going to pay to have your car towed to a mechanic AND pay the labor rates per hour to have them struggle with it!

Ed

I'm lucky to have a 2008 matrix which takes a standard spin on oil filter.

Smallest oil filter I have ever seen on a car by the way.

I use a cap style oil filter tool to take the old filter off, then spin the new one on by hand with a piece of sandpaper in my hand.

I have learned not to take this car to those 19 dollar firestone oil change places, as the last one did not replace the gasket for the oil pan drain plug, and they cranked the filter and the oil pan drain plug on way too tight.

There is even a little instruction that comes with the toyota filter that says 1/4 turn past hand tight.

So it costs me more than 19 dollars to change the oil in the wifes matrix, but I do it myself and don't have to worry about leaks.

Originally Posted By: Danimal
Hi guys, sorry to resurrect such an old thread. I purchased a 2010 Matrix last week and took it in for an oil change at a friend's shop. He was unable to get the Oil Filter Cap off as it seems to have been mangled at some point in the past. I've read through this thread, don't have access to a welder to make my own tool, LOL. Is there a way to attach a picture of the cap's condition and get an opinion of how I should proceed?

Would a normal oil filter band wrench work?

I wouldn't take my vehicle to Firestone for anything, and I wouldn't have a Firestone tire if they gave it to me. Learned my lesson with the Firestone 500 fiasco about 1978/79. An old American brand that went down the tubes.

Two questions:

• Why would a dealer be putting the filter cap on too tight? Don't they know how to service their own vehicles?
  • Why the switch to cartridge filters? Was there something wrong with the spin on filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back