marvel mystery oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Loobed
Originally Posted By: wileyE
yes, the voa's were mmo. Personally seen it provide top end lubrication in dry fueled engines (propane, natural gas),.......

Phosphorus in the fuel, isn't that bad???

The GM myth thread about ZDDP says:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1049762#Post1049762

"However, phosphorus is a poison for exhaust catalysts. So, ZDP levels have been reduced over the last 10-15 years. It's now down to a maximum of 0.08% for Starburst oils. This was supported by the introduction of modern ashless antioxidants that contain no phosphorus."

With the MMO showing 790ppm of phosphorus, why would someone run it in a car with a catalytic converter?

from http://www.marvelmysteryoil.com FAQ page

Is Marvel Mystery Oil safe to use in today’s “high-tech” cars?
Yes! Marvel Mystery Oil is completely safe in today’s high-tech cars and provide the same benefits as it has since 1923-cleaner engines, upper cylinder lubrication, reduced acid and sludge build up, improved fuel economy, clean and lubricated fuel systems and many more!

ADDING TO FUEL

How much Marvel Mystery Oil (MMO) do I put in my gasoline tank?
Marvel recommends using 4oz of MMO for every 10 gallons of gasoline.

Can I use MMO with every fill-up?
Yes. In fact many Marvel users who use MMO with every fill-up report significant increases in fuel mileage.

Will MMO cause any damage to oxygen sensors, fuel sensors or catalytic converters?
No. MMO has undergone rigorous testing to ensure the safety of all internal components in your vehicle including highly-sensitive oxygen sensors, fuel sensors and catalytic converters.

Can MMO be use in vehicles with fuel injectors?
Yes. MMO can be used in vehicles with fuel injectors. MMO provides additional lubrication to the injectors and helps prevent the formation of hard carbon deposits on the injectors. Injectors fouled with hard carbon deposits do not perform optimally and reduce mileage and performance.

I do not have any sludged vechiles I have tried AUto-Rx and I did not notice anything muchin the way of cleaning or improved performance. Now that does not mean that it did not do anything!!! I did notice a lot of cleaning in a transmission I used it in but it did not in any way fix that transmission since the problems were mechanical in nature.In a non-sludged vechile I do not see where it does that much! You can easily clean the ring pack area with a piston soak over night. So the ring pack area cleaning is not that big of deal more of a side benifit if the rest of the engine is also dirty! LC worked very well for me in several different applications for cleaning.Then their is Schaffer's N131 wich has also worked well. Now I will concide that ARX is the bomb for sludge but it is not the holy grail of all things engine cleaning. I mean whylimit oneself to just one product? Even if it is better then what you are useing how much better do you need for some simple routine cleaning? Howmuchmore wear is it causeing when used as directed? You know the sky is not falling.... I had one vechile that got 4 quart's of Castrol Syntec 5W50 and one quart of MMO 3 time a year for 2-3 year's until it was clean... The engine was sludged up when I bought the vechile worse then anythign I have yet to see on this site. Eventualy it was as clean as a whistle and continued to run just fine until it was scraped. It was a 1982 Toyota Starlet and was just given away this year to a cousin that turned into a 4X4 mud bug vehecile..... That engine never burned any oil at all and the day it was given away it could still light up it's tires!

Originally Posted By: JohnBrowning
I do not have any sludged vechiles I have tried AUto-Rx and I did not notice anything muchin the way of cleaning or improved performance. Now that does not mean that it did not do anything!!! I did notice a lot of cleaning in a transmission I used it in but it did not in any way fix that transmission since the problems were mechanical in nature.In a non-sludged vechile I do not see where it does that much! You can easily clean the ring pack area with a piston soak over night. So the ring pack area cleaning is not that big of deal more of a side benifit if the rest of the engine is also dirty! LC worked very well for me in several different applications for cleaning.Then their is Schaffer's N131 wich has also worked well. Now I will concide that ARX is the bomb for sludge but it is not the holy grail of all things engine cleaning. I mean whylimit oneself to just one product? Even if it is better then what you are useing how much better do you need for some simple routine cleaning? Howmuchmore wear is it causeing when used as directed? You know the sky is not falling.... I had one vechile that got 4 quart's of Castrol Syntec 5W50 and one quart of MMO 3 time a year for 2-3 year's until it was clean... The engine was sludged up when I bought the vechile worse then anythign I have yet to see on this site. Eventualy it was as clean as a whistle and continued to run just fine until it was scraped. It was a 1982 Toyota Starlet and was just given away this year to a cousin that turned into a 4X4 mud bug vehecile..... That engine never burned any oil at all and the day it was given away it could still light up it's tires!

I know with ARX you are suppose to use dino oil so it can, for lack of better words, clean better. I wonder if MMO would have cleaned faster if u used it with dino oil. Either way, MMO worked for you and it sounds like another good MMO story. Toyotas are pretty much bullet proof too. Good luck and Happy Holidays.

Originally Posted By: tackleberry625
Toyotas are pretty much bullet proof too.
Boy, now there is a quote right out of the perception bible.

Originally Posted By: Jaybird

LOL. I thought the exact same thing.

Post From article on Toyota 4x 4 Web Site.

# Solvent is one and it only cleans out deposits left by using a poor oil. If you use a good oil you should not need to use a solvent in your engine. Think about it, there is many places in your engine that don’t drain all the oil out of. You know the small little valleys that hold the oil and doesn’t drain oil. That still has the solvent it them and will contaminate your new fresh oil. Solvent will clean out your engine but at what cost? Solvent is made to break down oils and I for one would never use a solvent in my engine because it would start to break down my new fresh oil and reduce the oils ability to properly lubricate my engine.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
Originally Posted By: Jaybird

LOL. I thought the exact same thing.

oh lawd here we go again.........another topic
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: INDYMAC

As the name MMO implies, it is still a mystery as to how or why it works for so many stubborn automotive problems...

My recent UOA with Dyson (1.46% fuel dilution) shows no ill effect to the bearing wear rate, as Terry states he would have expected from this product. He suggests that the formula may have changed.

He has two other products that he prefers over MMO as a fuel lube...

New here, hope it's not a problem to revive an old thread.

Anyway, while doing a search I stumbled upon the above post.

Two quick questions ~

Who is Terry, and ... more importantly ...

What are the two other products "that he prefers over MMO as a fuel lube ..." ???

TIA for any input.

Originally Posted By: Winn

Two quick questions ~

What are the two other products "that he prefers over MMO as a fuel lube ..." ???

TIA for any input.

One is probably Techron. Not sure of the other.
http://www.chevron.com/products/ourfuels/prodserv/additives/tcp.aspx

Terry is a very, very good Oil Analyst

I have seen him many times recommend for a Gas Additive:
Lube Control's FP Plus and Schaeffer's Soy Ultra (for Gas)

and for Oil Additive:
Auto-RX and Lube Control LC20

As the name MMO implies, it is still a mystery as to how or why it works for so many stubborn automotive problems...

My recent UOA with Dyson (1.46% fuel dilution) shows no ill effect to the bearing wear rate, as Terry states he would have expected from this product. He suggests that the formula may have changed.

Two quick questions ~

TIA for any input.

Originally Posted By: Jax_RX8
Terry is a very, very good Oil Analyst

I have seen him many times recommend for a Gas Additive:
Lube Control's FP Plus and Schaeffer's Soy Ultra (for Gas)

and for Oil Additive:
Auto-RX and Lube Control LC20

Two quick questions ~

TIA for any input.

Thank you.

Long Time User Of Competitive Product
Tries Auto-Rx

"My fiancée’s car (1991 Honda Civic DX) began to get a very bad rough idle about 6-8 months ago, so I began to add some Marvel Mystery Oil (MMO) in the oil for a few oil changes. At that time the car had 101k miles on it. The idle got a little better after the MMO treatment but it was still nowhere as smooth as it use to be about 3 years ago. The idle was getting so bad that when the A/C kicked on while the car was in gear sitting at a light, the whole car would vibrate/shake. I changed the plugs, wires, distributor cap, PCV valve and checked for vacuum leaks. The car would also burn about 1 quart of regular non-synthetic motor oil every 2,500 - 3k miles.

I heard so much about Auto-Rx (ARX) on Bob is the oil guy and how well it worked. I have worked on cars and built engines for about 15 years. I have always used MMO with great success in the past, and I was very skeptical to try something "new", even though ARX was talked so highly about. I did not think MMO was going to correct the rough idle any better, so I decided to try ARX. Before I began an ARX clean phase, I looked inside the oil filler hole and noticed a lot of varnish on the base of the head and the rocker arms. I also noticed some minor oil deposits on the valve springs. Keep in mind, I had used ½ of a quart to1 quart of MMO in the engine for 6k-8k miles already (2 oil changes).There has never been an accumulation of heavy sludge inside the engine.

I am 2,500 miles into the first rinse phase. I recently looked inside the oil filler cap and noticed a lot of the varnish was gone and just about all of the small oil deposits on the valve springs were also gone.

The oil consumption is down to just under ½ a quart with 500 miles to go in this rinse cycle. I believe ARX has cleaned around the ring packs to reduce the oil consumption from 1 quart to ½ quart and the MMO failed to clean the rings. I still have one more clean/rinse cycle to go and I very pleased with the results I have seen thus far. I am going to give up using MMO in my engines and stick with ARX because it has proven to me beyond any doubt to be far superior than MMO. "

Feel free to post this on your site. You have my full permission and I have no problem with that.

It is 2:30am and I just got home from work a little while ago. Once again, thank you for making such a great product of ARX. My father lives in Jacksonville FL and next time I get up there, I am going to begin his 1999 F150 on an ARX clean phase because it is begining to use oil.

^^^ Once again another unrelated thread turns into a commercial for ARX

Stop the spamming! You guys are getting worse than a danm used car salesman!

Originally Posted By: kingrob

Kingrob, you are right on target here.

I have held my tongue long enough on this issue. Auto-Rx spamming is really getting old here.

Moderators, is there a way we can address this?

Originally Posted By: Big O Dave
MMO is the elixir of the Gods!

I Whole heartedly agree. I love it, it just makes me feel a little better that I have it in there; the Gas tank, AND the sump.

I'm the default 'car-guy' in a circle of 12, and sorry everyone, MMO is the only thing that'll go in when theres any trouble.

MMO forever!

-A

Jeep Wrangler (x) 2002 90k MMO
Mazda Protege 2002 60k MMO
Dodge Neon 2002 70k MMO
Dodge Shadow 100k MMO
###
Audi A4 2004 120k MMO
Toyota Corolla 2002 120k MMO
Toyota Corolla 2004 100k MMO
Hyundai Elantra 2002 100k MMO

banana2.gif

Originally Posted By: ARMY_Guy
Originally Posted By: Big O Dave
MMO is the elixir of the Gods!

I'm the default 'car-guy' in a circle of 12, and sorry everyone, MMO is the only thing that'll go in when theres any trouble.

banana2.gif

What do you have to be sorry about? You like MMO, as do many others.
cheers3.gif

I'm sure that it's ok to bring up a testimonial in discussion.. but out of nowhere is not nessesary. I don't bother reading them.

Originally Posted By: Saturn_Fan
Originally Posted By: kingrob

Kingrob, you are right on target here.

I have held my tongue long enough on this issue. Auto-Rx spamming is really getting old here.

Moderators, is there a way we can address this?

+1

Hi,

Just a note from a member/lurker about the effectiveness of MMO as an engine cleaner additive. In '82 I bought a 1967 VW Bug for $200. Only 3 of the cyliners were working, and after about of week of WOT driving, still only 3 of the cylinders were working. In the morning of that 7th day, I drained the oil and and filled the crankcase with MMO. For the rest of the day I would start the engine and just let it idle until warm and shut it down to let the the MMO soak into wherever it could.

About 4 in the afternoon, I took it for a drive. Going up a hill about 1/4 mile from my house, whatever it was that was stuck (I'm assuming one or both of the valves on the cylinder) became unstuck. The cloud of black smoke that came from that engine looked like the smoke screen laid down by a WWII movie destroyer in order to hide the rest of the convoy from the enemy.

I returned home after driving about another 20 miles and exchanged the MMO for 10w-40 motor oil and the engine lived happily ever after, until the body rusted so badly that I had to sell it off. No further use of MMO in the oil after this. Its thinness kind of frightened me.

I use ARX in my Tribute now and it seems to be working its gentle magic, but I also feel the frustration of the last couple of posters that every question about every oil additive becomes a reason for some to turn it into an ARX thread. Again, because I post so seldom (my last post included a promise to post pics of my oil filter after a second rinse phase when the the rinse mileage went from 1500 miles to 3000. Unfortunately the filter was tossed by my GF before it drained thoroughly.) so maybe I should keep quiet.

As a side note, those VWs had no oil filter, only a screen attached to a removable plate over a low flow area where GKW would accumulate. The manual reccomended 1000 mile OCIs, but I did 3000 mile "extended" OCIs.

I can understand frustration, but it is hard for some people to not post about ARX because it works so well and people want to talk about stuff that gives results. I think it would benefit everyone to keep ARX discussion in ARX threads, that way everyone is happy!

Basically all I am saying is I can't disagree completely with above posters and it would be beneficial to keep ARX talk in those threads and MMO talk in MMO threads etc, etc. Then we could avoid all this useless bickering (although I'm not sure that will happen either,
23.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back