Marvel Mystery Oil Rocks!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JasonK94Z
The gallon jugs of MMO are next to the gallon transmission fluid and TC3W oil at my Walmart. They don't put the gallons next to the pint and quart bottles for some reason.

How much does a gallon of MMO cost at Wal-Mart.

Originally Posted By: c3po
Originally Posted By: JasonK94Z
The gallon jugs of MMO are next to the gallon transmission fluid and TC3W oil at my Walmart. They don't put the gallons next to the pint and quart bottles for some reason.

How much does a gallon of MMO cost at Wal-Mart.
About $12

I use it for each fill up, 4 oz/10 gallons of gas is the suggested amount. Some guys use a little more, some a little less. Experiment and see what works best for you.

I have used MMO for about 10 tanks of gas. The last 3 had an average mpg of 19.5. I just ran FP(the old one) for 3 tanks and have an average of 20.2 fwiw. I drive to the same places every week, 80% highway.

It may be me but i swear at 50 or so my Jeep kicks down from overdrive less with the fuel power in it.

Either way, MMO fixed a rough idle and like a dead spot on the accelorator pedal at 55.

The mmo i am running at 8 oz or so with a fillup. Maybe going down to 6 will be better for me, i dunno.

I don't know where the point of no return is on too much. It is about the cheapest UCL that you can ask for.

When I get around to it, I might try a decent shock dose at the onset of a new tune and then do the 4oz/10gallon treat rate and see what the plugs look like longer term. When I massively dosed the tank it resulted in "one bump" starting from there on out. It was amazing in comparison. The dark side of it is that I had cause to pull the heads and the plugs and the back side of the intake valves were loaded with soft soot. I'm sure that this was due to the way overboard dose I put in the tank (like 1/2 gallon for 20 gallons). You could see the visible vapor trail while driving.

Originally Posted By: JBM
I have used MMO for about 10 tanks of gas. The last 3 had an average mpg of 19.5. I just ran FP(the old one) for 3 tanks and have an average of 20.2 fwiw. I drive to the same places every week, 80% highway.

It may be me but i swear at 50 or so my Jeep kicks down from overdrive less with the fuel power in it.

Either way, MMO fixed a rough idle and like a dead spot on the accelorator pedal at 55.

The mmo i am running at 8 oz or so with a fillup. Maybe going down to 6 will be better for me, i dunno.

Work up and then down from the suggested dose and see what you engine likes best. That's true for any UCL.

Demarpaint told me he likes to slightly increase the dose for the winter months because of the winter fuel blends. Sounded like a good idea to me. MPGs always suffer during the colder months anyway, and a little extra protection during the cold starts is probably worth it!

Originally Posted By: Eric Smith
Originally Posted By: tpitcher
I thought this was a MMO thread?

AADD is quite previlant on here.

thats oil ADD
grin2.gif

MMO was developed in WWII to help the Air Force resolve the extreme maintenance problem that was imposed by the necessary very high tetra-ethyl leaded aviation gasoline required by high compression aviation engines (dual supercharged bombers and fighters). Without fuel treatment, engines were having to be removed and cleaned by hand of the lead and carbon deposits every 6 to 9 months. The cleaning was necessary or the performance would drop so much that air superiority was lost to the enemy...a totally unacceptable result that cost lives.

MMO has 9 hydrocarbons created from the distillation process of heat and high pressure to refine crude oil. Several of the hydrocarbons are of the aromatic type which accounts for MMO's pleasant odor. MMO has an evaporation temp of about 400F which means when it is mixed into fuel and enters a cylinder on the intake stroke, it vaporizes and assists in the spread of fuel as MMO is widely dispersed throughout the cylinder. When MMO hits the rings and piston top which are generally cooler due to the spray of oil from underneath the piston, the MMO condenses on carbon and other deposits that exist on the rings and pistons, and on the entire combustion chamber. The hydrocarbons in MMO have highly penetrating as well as highly lubricating properties. MMO helps to free carbon (or, previously, lead) deposits from moving engine surfaces (so they are available to the combustion flame or exited from the cylinder on the exhaust stroke), lubricate rings so they seal properly, lubricate valve seats, lubricate valve stems, lubricate carburetor and fuel injector parts, clean the business end of spark plugs, etc. etc. It is my favorite additive. If I could only add one thing, MMO would be it.

MMO cleans engines dynamically, saves fuel when used according to directions, and supports the efficient delivery of power. It is also an excellent, gentle and extremely efficient product to use to clean an engine prior to an oil change. In this regard however, I caution that there are several older vehicle engines, as well as individual components of many modern engines, whose seals and o-rings do not seal well in the presence of MMO. For this reason I advise that using a quart of MMO in the oil should be a short-term therapy prior to an oil change to be removed in a day or so or after a 30-50 mile ride. Otherwise some lubricant leakage can occur. It is usually temporary and will subside when the MMO is removed from the crankcase and oil is able to re-establish the false seals. One note of caution: synthetics do not "gunk-up" and do not thicken in colder temperatures like regular "dino" or mineral oil and do not create the false seals that "dino" is known for. An MMO preceded oil change that produces a drip from an engine connection such as an oil cooler will often require tightening a few bolts, or the installation of some new o-rings to stem the slow drip. In spite of this, synthetics offer greatly reduced wear and tear as well as extended oil changes and once a leak is corrected through tightening or o-ring replacement, the problems have been addressed. In modern engines, synthetics are the way to go.

It is interesting that MMO, known for decades by the military, has become popular as synthetics, also known for decades by the military, have become commonplace.

Will it work in all engines? In piston driven 4-cycle reciprocating gasoline engines, normally aspirated, turbocharged or supercharged, the answer is YES!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
I thought the smell of MMO came from the sue of Oil of Wintergreen?

Wintergreen is a aromatic hydrocarbon (the ester Methyl salicylate)

MMO was developed in the 1920's.

http://www.marvelmysteryoil.com/index.php/site/about/

MARVEL MYSTERY OIL® HISTORY

Old Advertisement Marvel Mystery Oil®, boasting an enviable reputation among vehicle owners world-wide, is truly a legend of its own. From an auspicious beginning, it is now recognized as a product that has stood the test of time and continues to provide unsurpassed performance and benefits in motors in the automotive, industrial and marine world.

Burt Pierce founded the Marvel Oil Company in 1923. His reputation for ingenuity preceded him as he was already well-known for inventing the Marvel Carburetor, standard equipment on 80% of all vehicles produced after World War I.

Vehicles of the post WWI era encountered carburetor problems, the most perplexing being clogged jets due to high lead content and other contaminants found in the gasoline of the time. The problem motivated Mr. Pierce to direct his creative ingenuity towards formulating a blend of chemicals and petroleum products to clean and maintain clogged jets. He was successful beyond his wildest expectations and the legend was born!

“Mystery Oil”, as it was originally called, proved to have other beneficial effects on the engine. By creating a top ring seal, it produced higher compression and, by preventing blow-by on power strokes, it resulted in more power. Mystery Oil also improved gas mileage and minimized engine wear.

Old AdvertismentInitially based in Chicago, the company moved to New York City and then in 1941 moved to its long-time home in Port Chester, New York. In 1999, the Marvel Oil Company was acquired by Turtle Wax, Inc. and is now headquartered back in its hometown in the Chicago area.

Marvel Mystery Oil® continues to be an extremely relevant and effective product, even in today’s “high-tech” vehicles. With the cost of vehicle maintenance increasing every year, preventive maintenance is the key in avoiding astronomical repair bills.

Why the name Mystery Oil? Burt Pierce refused to divulge the formula for his new product and answered all inquiries as to its make-up with “It’s a Mystery!” The name caught on and is still recognized today for its “mysterious” ability to cure and prevent almost any engine ailment.

Originally Posted By: lipadj46
Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
I thought the smell of MMO came from the sue of Oil of Wintergreen?

Wintergreen is a aromatic hydrocarbon (the ester Methyl salicylate)

Yeah, but he said that it was from crude. At least, that's how I took it.

Quote:
Put 12-16oz [of MMO} in the oil..

What was the starting viscosity of your PCMO before adding MMO and what was the resulting viscosity of your oil after adding MMO?

I suspect the main benefit here is similar to the old practise of adding ATF to the oil; it is not the additives that are cleaning but the reduction in viscosity of the resulting oil due to the thinning by MMO.

Yes, MMO does have some solvents and a bit of AW additive in naphthenic oil, but it is also a very thin (low viscosity) oil.

Quote:
By creating a top ring seal, it produced higher compression and, by preventing blow-by on power strokes, it resulted in more power. Mystery Oil also improved gas mileage and minimized engine wear.

How does it do that? If it cleans the ring pack, as does other engine cleaners, that would explain this claim somewhat.

Quote:
Mystery Oil also improved gas mileage and minimized engine wear.

A thinner oil certainly will improve fuel mileage abit, but that oil has to have the right base oils and additive components to prevent wear.

Last edited:
MolaKule: I own a 01 7.3L PowerStroke Diesel. I would never pour MMO in my crankcase. But I would like your opinion on pouring it into my diesel tank. I'm looking for a little help in lubrication and some cleaning as well.

Our old Judsen Supercharger for VWs used a trickle oiler for the vanes and top end. It was metered by counting the drops per minute to the little reservoir before being ingested by the engine.

MMO was the only recommended oil to use.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Our old Judsen Supercharger for VWs used a trickle oiler for the vanes and top end. It was metered by counting the drops per minute to the little reservoir before being ingested by the engine.

MMO was the only recommended oil to use.

I have two of those oilers, I've used them for over 25 years. They call them Inverse Oilers. I have one sitting in a box I took off a van I sold, and another I just removed because it wasn't metering correctly, so I thought. I will test it shortly and re-install it. Plugs always come out nice and clean, vehicles ran great with them on. They work very well as long as you don't run them dry.

I was at Henry Ford Museum on Sunday, and they fired up a HUGE industrial steam engine which used an open-bath oiling system, along with those little adjustable canister McCoy oilers for many of the bearings.

It turned a 27 ton wheel!

Here it is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIbuyEEKF8c

The engineer stated they use Marvel Mystery Oil. I know it is probably a low-stress job for the oil, but the fact that they trust it to protect the historic machine must mean something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back