Marine engine fuel injectors

Aside from changing the fuel filter on schedule and using fresh fuel what can one to to keep fuel injectors clean and not needing to be pulled and cleaned? In this case engine is a VP 5.7L I/O.

Additives? Blue Stabil marine forumla.

I would think if you use good fresh fuel and try not to idle the boat for excessive amounts of time you should be good. I would think you would have a significant amount of time under decent load to help keep things in good shape. FWIW I haven't pulled an injector on a passenger vehicle yet... If it helps you sleep at night you could use some injector cleaner like Techron, MMO, Lucas injector clean or something of that sort.

Just my $0.02

Maintaining all the filters in front of the injectors...

I have an early build yamaha 4 stroke, circa 2000. At the time, Yamaha did not require a spin on water fuel separator for initial installs / factory rigging. They made that change many years later, and the install of one takes care of most injector issues after they are cleaned. In my case, it was the install of the spin on, regular replacement of the spin on and internal small filter, and the VST filter done when I cleaned the injectors. No issues since.

Regular use of marine stabil and seafoam is the rest of the normal routine here...

Just make sure your filter is the 5 or 10 micron and not the 30 micron filter. I like fuel stabilizers too, marine fuel tanks are vented, so fuel sours quicker than on a sealed system like your car or truck.
I get the factory Volvo Penta fuel filters. Are you suggesting I should look for a filter with a lower micron rating?

I get the factory Volvo Penta fuel filters. Are you suggesting I should look for a filter with a lower micron rating?
I don't know about Volvo Penta, but MerCruiser and aftermarket sell filters that look the same but have different micron ratings. 10 microns for fuel injected engines and 30 microns for carbureted engines. Fuel injected engines need better filtering. They do have different part numbers, just make sure the filter is for your exact engine.

Back