Manual transmission oil for 1995 Nissan Maxima?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oops , what I meant was a 80W90 specified in 1995 gear box would be equivalent to current day SAE J306 of two sub-categories of :-

a )8xW110 (AGMA 5EP/ISO 220) ; or

b )80W90 (AGMA 4EP/ISO 150)

In other words, a current day J306 retail 80W90 could possibly be weaker than a pre-1990's retail 80W90 .

spoiler said:
Thanks MolaKule: So the Redline statement about "perfect synchronizer coefficient of friction" is what makes it a good choice for my transmission? [/spoiler]

Koorrect.

Also, these oils say they are suitable for transaxles. Are there dedicated manual transmission fluids, or are they all dual-purpose?[/spoiler]

Most 75W90 transaxle fluids such as MT-90 and Amsoil MTG are dedicated synchromesh manual transmission fluids and are appropriate for manual transaxles.

For the Maxima, are you saying the geared portion of the drive train is a manual transaxle; a combination of manual transmission and differential in one case?

Hi MolaKule:

Your question got me to thinking. When I mentioned transaxle, I was just curious why the GL4 oils list both manual transmission and transaxle applications - not that I thought I have a combination of MT and differential in one case. I have no idea about this and must confess ignorance. I thought there was only the manual transmission and engine in my vehicle. Does it matter?

For the Brad Penn choice, you didn't see anything on their data sheet equivalent to what Redline says about perfect coefficient of friction for synchronizers? If not, I will eliminate this as a candidate and probably just stick with the Redline MT90.

Hi again: I checked my factory service manual and under fluid recommendations, it has recommendations for "manual transaxle" and "automatic transaxle". So I guess I should have originally solicited recommendations for a manual transaxle. Since the Redline product indicates manual transmission and front wheel drive transaxles, I should be in good shape, right?

Many dedicated GL-4 MTF's are appropriate for both manual transmissions and manual transaxles.

I am not entirely sure but I believe the Maxima has a transaxle.

I would dismiss the Brad Penn as I see no compelling evidence it is a dedicated MTF.

Again, Redline MT-85, Amsoil MTG, or Redline MT-90 should function well, while I would still lean toward Redline MT-85.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back