Mahle = Made in Taiwan?

Many of the European suppliers are very fond of near-sourcing in and around the EU, so you'll see Mann air filters made in the Czech Republic, Bosch horns made in Spain, Ronal wheels made in Poland, etc. The whole business is very globalized compared to even back in the 90's, I recently changed the front struts on a friend's Japanese built Mazda3 and the OE struts where made in Poland.

Originally Posted by Jake_J
... The whole business is very globalized compared to even back in the 90's, I recently changed the front struts on a friend's Japanese built Mazda3 and the OE struts where made in Poland.
The US-branded replacement struts I bought for my Mazda in the late 80s or early 90s were made in Australia.

Originally Posted by nascarnation
Like most mega suppliers these days, Mahle is multinational.
Here's an excerpt from their corp blurb:

80,000 employees work in 160+ production plants and sixteen major research and development centers in Germany, Great Britain, United States, Brazil, Japan, China, India, Spain, Slovenia and Luxembourg.

But my parts say "Made in Taiwan" ... Should I suspect that the parts I received are counterfeit? I bought the from Amazon.

Originally Posted by Alfred_B
I've seen OEM parts made in Czech Republic and Austria in my Audi
15.gif

I wanted a German car, not some mutt assembled with parts from I don't know where

VW is going East Europe to save on overhead - I've seen Hungarian, Polish and Slovakian parts on a friend's EOS. New VWs are using Chinese glass and more Mexican components.

Originally Posted by nthach
15.gif

I wanted a German car, not some mutt assembled with parts from I don't know where

VW is going East Europe to save on overhead - I've seen Hungarian, Polish and Slovakian parts on a friend's EOS. New VWs are using Chinese glass and more Mexican components.

Well, VW/Audi has factories in both Mexico and Hungary, so that would seem to make sense.

The factory in Gyor, Hungary is HUGE, between cars and engines builds about a million units a year.

Originally Posted by Twisted1
Originally Posted by nascarnation
Like most mega suppliers these days, Mahle is multinational.
Here's an excerpt from their corp blurb:

80,000 employees work in 160+ production plants and sixteen major research and development centers in Germany, Great Britain, United States, Brazil, Japan, China, India, Spain, Slovenia and Luxembourg.

But my parts say "Made in Taiwan" ... Should I suspect that the parts I received are counterfeit? I bought the from Amazon.

I'd recommend contacting Mahle N. Am.
>>>>
http://www.us.mahle.com/en/products-and-services/aftermarket/

Just wanted to update for posterity and if anyone else ran into this question in the future. I found 1 O'Reilly Auto Parts store out of the 6 around me that had the exact same gaskets in stock. I went into the store and low and behold it too also said "Made in Taiwan". Mahle... why.. lol

Originally Posted by Twisted1
I went into the store and low and behold it too also said "Made in Taiwan". Mahle... why.. lol

No need for any worries.

Obviously the brand wouldn't open a factory somewhere if they didn't think the quality could be as good.

Mahle is just trying to remain competitive so they can remain relevant.

Everyone else is doing it too.

I picked up a set of shock absorbers today. Sachs is OEM for my car, made in their Mexican factory. I expected the aftermarket version to be made in Mexico too but nope:

IMG_1457.jpg

Last edited:
BMW is building a car manufacturing plant in Mexico. Cheap labor. That's why it opened plants in the former East Germany.

What with the upstanding pedigree, casual VAG lineage and impeccable record of Audi's "Truth in Engineering,"
we've every right to be concerned!

I've been getting Mahle oil filters for my two Scions ( 2AZ-FE & 2ZR-FE) for some years. All of them so far have been from Austria. I recently received two Mahle air filters that were "made in China". I haven't tried the fit on them yet. The last air filter I got for the 2AZ was my go to brand of Wix. That was just off sized enough to not be useable. I don't recall the country of origin.

Back