Magnets

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think about this from time to time, but just haven't thought about it while on these forums.

I have been placing a small (1/2" round, 1/4" thick) neodymium magnet on the side of the oil filters on my vehicles to catch iron particles inside the filter, without affecting the bypass valve.

The good thing is that it is removing the iron/steel wear particles, thus preventing recirculation of the particles, thereby reducing wear. The particles are also handily disposed of at filter change.

The conundrum is UOA's: The iron readings *should* be lower than without the magnet. So, I guess the primary concern is how to determine the wear rate in a UOA when the iron is being removed with the filter.

Blackstone sees no difference. The particles picked up by the magnet are too small to be seen in a UOA. Try a search. google site:bobistheoilguy.com magnet uoa

Originally Posted By: justinf89
so why wouldn't the filter pick up these particles?

Exactly. Those metal particles are either so small that they get suspended in the oil, in which case they're too small to be harmful, or they're big enough to be captured by the filter, and therefore not causing any harm to the engine either. A magnet is redundant.

As for the UOA, I'm guessing the particles that the magnet catches are so big, that they wouldn't show up on a UOA anyway. Well, maybe they'd show up as insolubles, but not as iron. But that's only if the filter didn't catch them, which it would.

Originally Posted By: bepperb
Blackstone sees no difference. The particles picked up by the magnet are too small to be seen in a UOA.

Too small? I would think they'd be too big.

Originally Posted By: lasmacgod

I have been placing a small (1/2" round, 1/4" thick) neodymium magnet on the side of the oil filters on my vehicles to catch iron particles inside the filter, without affecting the bypass valve.

If a magnet was in fact needed, wouldn't every car manufacturer install one at the factory?

IMO, your oil filter is already doing this job. Why take this job away from it?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Agreed, there is enough unemployment now.

Originally Posted By: bepperb
Blackstone sees no difference. The particles picked up by the magnet are too small to be seen in a UOA. Try a search. google site:bobistheoilguy.com magnet uoa

How can that make sense? If your saying that the particles that are PICKED up by the magnet or I presume your implying the particles STICKING to the magnet. Then OBVIOUSLY the UOA would not see those particles because they are stuck on the magnet and not floating in the solution for the blackstone test.

Then on the other hand, why do we always discuss the filtering capability down to the 99.9% of .20 microns to make sure we have the best in filtration. Correct me if my termiology is wrong because I am just a layperson myself when it comes to oil.

So how big is the typical particles picked up by magnets? I just want somebody to help me understand. So let's say the stuff down to the micron level a filter has 97% efficiency at > then 20 microns.

So are we saying the stuff that the magnet collects is harmless because it is WAY SMALLER than 20 microns. SO if we want a good oil filter and wanted a great filtration at 97% at > 20 microns which is supposedly good. BUT the magnet is theoretically redundant (useless) because the stuff it attracts is way smaller to be filtered by an oil filter or found in a UOA, then does that REALLY MEAN that those particles are HARMLESS?

If anybody could give input, I appreciate it. Because my head hurts.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Quattro Pete said:

I use filtermag to make my oil filter into a SUPER oil filter. (on top of it being a full synthetic extended $13.49 plus tax oil filter)

If a magnet was in fact needed, wouldn't every car manufacturer install one at the factory?

Easy answer. NOPE.

I think about this from time to time, but just haven't thought about it while on these forums.

The good thing is that it is removing the iron/steel wear particles, thus preventing recirculation of the particles, thereby reducing wear. The particles are also handily disposed of at filter change.

The conundrum is UOA's: The iron readings *should* be lower than without the magnet. So, I guess the primary concern is how to determine the wear rate in a UOA when the iron is being removed with the filter.

Cool idea! I did this on a Buick 3800 iron lump and man, they pick up a lot of sparklies. I had them stuck inbetween flow holes on the filter face (inlet). Should some buildup dislodge (very unlikely), they would have to pass the filter media first.

Originally Posted By: AdRock

Easy answer. NOPE.

NOPE what? Care to elaborate?

So what wear metals in the engine are being caught by the magnet?

DSCF0252.jpg

1. Getting as many abrasive particles out of the oil is a good idea.
2. Sometimes the particles are too small for the filter to catch.
3. Sometimes the filter is in bypass mode so the magnet could help when the filter was not working fully.

**I have them on my vehicles and they also capture iron particles.

Personally, I think that they are a great idea.

Some manufacturers even put in magnetic drain plugs...and manufacturer's usually don't spend a dollar unless they think it's necessary.

I have a filtermag on my car and i can't wait to see what i get out of this oil change.

Even if the filter was going to catch the metal particles, you are saving the media so it can catch other things; the filter can only hold so many grams of junk...

Also i do believe there are particles of such a small micron rating that the filter won't catch them but you will see a benefit to keep them out of your oil.

The filtermag and other magnetshave proven themselves if they have caught anything, and they have been catching things as evidence by the tons of pictures on the net from independent sources.

Are we perhaps starting to see the limits of an UOA if it in fact is true that it can neither detect very small and very large particles??? I also would assume that the magnets are redundant and that the vehicle is fine without them but if you really feel the need to protect your car from these evil metallic particles be my guest.

Originally Posted By: Capa
Are we perhaps starting to see the limits of an UOA if it in fact is true that it can neither detect very small and very large particles??? I also would assume that the magnets are redundant and that the vehicle is fine without them but if you really feel the need to protect your car from these evil metallic particles be my guest.

You are correct the vehicle is fine without them; Anything smaller than 10 microns will pass through the system ans do no harm. But...this is BITOG, and we do anything possible, no matter how far over the top to usurp the manufacturers design and make the engines last as long as possible...Triple in-line oil filter, Remote ATF in-line filters, cooling system filters, nothing is sacred,or can be filtered to much..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back