M1 EP 15k OCI? Filter Change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an 05 Corolla XRS with 188k miles (I'm org. owner & always used syn oil, appox. 5k-7k OCI ). I just returned QSUD jugs and bought M1 EP 5w-30. I drive about 15k mi/year now, mainly hwy, rarely stop/go. My plan is an OCI 1x year. Also, I'll finally do a UOA around 10k mi to see how the oil working.
I've done some research but am a bit turned around....

I have a stash of Purolator P1 filters. Would the filter be good for 15k mi or should that be changed 1/2 though, keeping the oil?
Thanks in advance!

You should be good to go 15K miles on this oil & filter combo because of your mostly highway driving. A 10K UOA will yield nothing about how the oil filter is holding up so I feel that is a waste of money. I would do the 15K, take a sample for the UOA and cut open the filter and have a look. Ed

If your engine is clean then the filter is fine for OCI you are looking for. I have a friend that is doing 15 K with this oil and has had no problems.

our old integra had a 7500 mile OCI and Honda recommended a filter change every other time. Seems to me that a filter is OK for 15k. I wouldnt worry about changing in between.

I would verify via UOA that the car can run just a single 15k OCI without TBN or any other aspect going out of whack...

Originally Posted By: tribocessive
purolator says 3k change on their P1; i use bosch D+ w/ 15k.

Is that what Purolator documents as warranty/guarantee/claim? Where can I find that?

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals

Is that what Purolator documents as warranty/guarantee/claim? Where can I find that?

Here's what they say, "Purolator PureONE oil filters should be replaced every 3,000 miles or 3 months depending on the driving conditions - or unless otherwise specified by the vehicle's manufacturer."

You can find it at:

http://www.purolatorautofilters.net/products/oil_filters/Pages/pureoneoilfilters.aspx

Note that Pure One oil filters filter VERY well, but they do increase oil pressure, which may reduce oil flow due to the thick filtering media. I used to use a premium DELCO oil filter on my Corvette, but I changed to WIX because it was increasing my oil pressure.

Last edited:
Good, sounds like the P1 should work for a 15k OCI without replacement. Otherwise, I was going to change the filer around 7.5 mi vs. buying a M1 EP filter for approx. $13.

I'll do the UOA yet to reassure the interval.

Originally Posted By: Corvette Owner
Originally Posted By: LeakySeals

Here's what they say, "Purolator PureONE oil filters should be replaced every 3,000 miles or 3 months depending on the driving conditions - or unless otherwise specified by the vehicle's manufacturer."

You can find it at:

http://www.purolatorautofilters.net/products/oil_filters/Pages/pureoneoilfilters.aspx

Note that Pure One oil filters filter VERY well, but they do increase oil pressure, which may reduce oil flow due to the thick filtering media. I used to use a premium DELCO oil filter on my Corvette, but I changed to WIX because it was increasing my oil pressure.

If the higher quality P1 is rated for 3k OCIs what does that make the Classic Purolator then? replacement every 1,500 miles?
33.gif

Oil filters are designed to withstand OEM specs, for the most part and the cheapest filter should at least be good for 7,500 miles.

Originally Posted By: XtraRevsSurely
Good, sounds like the P1 should work for a 15k OCI without replacement. Otherwise, I was going to change the filer around 7.5 mi vs. buying a M1 EP filter for approx. $13.

I'll do the UOA yet to reassure the interval.

Personally, I'd get Mobil 1 while they're on sale and stock up for a few years worth. It will come out to be $6-8 bucks after discounts which is the same price as P1s at retail.

Originally Posted By: XtraRevsSurely
I have an 05 Corolla XRS with 188k miles (I'm org. owner & always used syn oil, appox. 5k-7k OCI ). I just returned QSUD jugs and bought M1 EP 5w-30. I drive about 15k mi/year now, mainly hwy, rarely stop/go. My plan is an OCI 1x year. Also, I'll finally do a UOA around 10k mi to see how the oil working.
I've done some research but am a bit turned around....

I have a stash of Purolator P1 filters. Would the filter be good for 15k mi or should that be changed 1/2 though, keeping the oil?
Thanks in advance!

I am a PureOne filter person, and have been for the last 5 years. I think they are great filters, and a great buy....But...if I were going to to a 15K OCI, I would by-pass the PureOne....and move up to the new Fram XG Ultra. Its a 15K filter....and holds more than twice the amount junk than the PureOne.

At only $8.97 at WM....its an excellent buy...and IMO, superior to the PureOne for long OCI's.

I wouldn't run a P1 15,000 miles for sure. It is not an extended drain oil filter, it is not advertised as one, and if you call them they, themselves, will tell you not to run it 15,000 miles. Change the P1 out every 7500 miles or get a real extended drain filter like the two already recommended: Bosch or M1.

I used non-extended drain oil filters such as Motorcraft, Purolator Classic and P1 and Fram for 1 year/12-14k miles in my '94 LS400. The engine has almost 300k miles and still running great.

If the engine is in good condition, then any oil filter can be used for 15k highway miles easily.

I have 5 P1 filters remaining I bought for $5 ea. Honestly, I won't be able to go 15k mi with wanting to change the filter. I'll end up changing the filter every 7.5k mi so I have 2.5 years of filters remaining. If M1 or Bosch D1 go on sale I'd consider buying one or just wait to see if P1 go on sale again.
Over the last year I've driven 15,162 miles (I got me belt tensioner replaced on 8/11/11).

Purolator now does sell an extended drain filter that isn't made out of paper media like the P1. A lot of stores like AZ, AA, and Oreilly's sale 5 quarts of Mobil EP and a Mobil EP filter for around $36---an unbeatable price.

Or you may want to change the P1 filter each 5k of your 15k OCI..
Find an experienced mechanic, an older guy, and ask about the wisdom of waiting 15k (about a year to a year and a half) before changing engine oil...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back