M1 5w30 - 4000 mi - 99 Sunfire 2.4L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oil was in service probably close to 8 months. This is the wife's car and is used primarily as a commuter car. Her commute is about 15 mins and 6 miles one way. 95,000 on the car. I didn't get a TBN since I switched to Valvoline Max Life

Oil Filter - Ac-Delco PF46
Air Filter - AEM dryflow

JONATHAN: 3.0% of this sample was gas, which can come from lots of city driving or it can also be from taking the sample right after starting the engine and letting it idle. Since engine wear and oil viscosity both looked good we doubt your have a fuel injector problem. The universal averages show typical wear for the GM 2.4L 4-cylinder after 5,200 miles oil use. Your oil was in use for 4,000 miles and all wear metals read close to those averages. Silicon & insolubles were low showing good air and oil filtration. Try 5,000 miles next. Wear should still look good.

Code:

Unit Universal Ave.

Aluminum 3 4

Chromium 0 0

Iron 14 12

Copper 2 3

Lead 2 1

Tin 0 0

Molybdenum 70 60

Nickel 0 0

Manganese 1 1

Silver 0 0

Titanium 0 0

Potassium 1 1

Boron 45 87

Silicon 7 12

Sodium 5 13

Calcium 2236 1910

Magnesium 13 54

Phosphorus 624 617

Zinc 781 747

Barium 0 0

Acutal Should be

SUS Viscosity @210F 55.6 55-62

cSt Viscosity @ 100C 8.96 8.8-11.1

Flashpoint 305 >365

Fuel % 3.0
Antifreze % 0 0

Water % 0 0

Insolubles 0.3

What does everyone think of these numbers? The reason for doing this was to see what kind of shape the motor was in. We have been contemplating trading it in on something else. I'm pleased to see that there is no antifreeze and that the Silicon is so low. Guess those AEM filters really do work.

For the amount of fuel in the oil, the M1 did remarkable well - I'd have expected worse.

For city driving that is going to cause this kind of dilution, I'd go with a dino oil, and keep changing it every 3-4k. Just saves you some money....

Last edited:
The car has been switched over to Maxlife 5w30 when I took that sample. What are some possible reasons that this oil has so much fuel in it? She has been complaining about gas mileage for a while now. I find it hard to believe the two could not somehow be related.

Leaking injector(s) might be a place to start looking. Also, bad spark plugs won't burn the fuel properly and it will get into the oil...

Any advice on how to check an injector?

The "PCV" system is actually an oil/air seperator mounted lower on the block. It's just a plastic piece with some chambers from what I've been told. I think it's possible to clean it out but I'm not sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back