M1 210 Oil filter for my Ford 4.6L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im about due to change my oil in my 4.6. Plan on using M1 0-40. Im considering using the M1 210 filter this go round. Im looking to extend out my interval on this run to around 10k. My previous filter was the MC 820S.

My question is does anyone know if this filter indeed has the thread end bypass?

Thanks for any input

for the 210 the bypass is in the dome end. If you want something similar to the M1 filter w/ the bypass at the base, the only option is Ford's racing 820S. It's a geat filter, but you'll probably have to source it online and it's a couple bucks more than the M1.

I've read that this has something to do w/ FOMCO enforcing some sort of patent, but I can't remember the whole story.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JOD
for the 210 the bypass is in the dome end. If you want something similar to the M1 filter w/ the bypass at the base, the only option is Ford's racing 820S. It's a geat filter, but you'll probably have to source it online and it's a couple bucks more than the M1.

I've read that this has something to do w/ FOMCO enforcing some sort of patent, but I can't remember the whole story.

Are you sure about the Mobil 1 oil filter. What I recall is that the bypass is in the base with the same spring type by pass as the Motorcraft oil filter. However, the P1 is in the dome. But does it really matter?

Whimsey

I can have the ford racing filter delivered to my shop. i have heard great things about both filters. Still curious about the 210. Somebody has to know the answere to this?

Yeah, pretty sure. I mean, specs change, but I've seen a few cut open and the one I looked at last week at AZ had the bypass in the dome (was checking to see if they changed it).

I know for non-Ford filters it can be found in the base, which kinda confirms the angle that patent lawyers have something to do with this.

Originally Posted By: Smokefan1977
I can have the ford racing filter delivered to my shop. i have heard great things about both filters. Still curious about the 210. Somebody has to know the answere to this?

Yes, like I said, the 210 has it in the dome end. It did many years ago when that dude published the comprehensive 820S competitor article, and it does as it currently sits on the shelf.

Originally Posted By: Smokefan1977
The Racing or the normal 820? I dont know that im that confident in the 820 for 10k

The Ford Racing filter will both flow better and filter better than the 820S. It's also a better-constructed filter; thicker base plate, more (and much higher quality) threads, silicone gasket, heavier can. As far as capacity though, it's probably a wash. It's 12 grams versus 8 grams (roughly), but it also filters more finely, so it'll catch more. In a clean engine, either one will do 10K without issue. Here's my Ford Racing filter @ 10K. The 820's I've cut open at similar mileage have looked the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back