M1 0w-20 AFE in Toyota 3.5L V6?

Status
Not open for further replies.
All this techanical stuff(I'm being nice) doesn't amount to nuttin. If you want to use M1 0-20, use it. It will be fine for your climate.

Here's another thought...........
Does your vehicle call for oil changes every six months or 5000 miles for warranty? Our RAV4's do (3.5l V-6, both). That is the very reason I do not cough up for synthetic. I am pro synthetic but sometimes it just ain't worth the moola. I just can't see the additional expense for six months/5K worth of driving. Now we drive very little (both three model years old & under 9,000 miles)which differs from your scenario.

Point being that if the 5K/six month oil change is required on your car is it worth it to spend the money for synthetic of any type? It's not to me but may be to you, your call.

CATERHAM, I've been running Toyota 0W20 in my wife's 07 Camry but was planning to switch to M1 0W20 after the next oil change when my stock of the Toyota oil runs out. Based on what you said about cold engine flow, I'm questioning my thinking. Opinion?

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Originally Posted By: Steve S
No matter what you read you will not notice much if any difference through out the life of your vehicle unless you really go the some extreme. I am not an internet expert but retired from 23 years of working mainly fleet type work. If you use the recommended oil and viscosity for the starting temps is all that is necessary, worked on too many vehicles to say otherwise. It is simple. You will not notice a difference going from a 5w to a 0w-30 oil though there may be a microscopic gain .

How many 200 plus VI oils do you have experience with?

Exactly how many 200VI oils are there and what % of these oils will be used in vehicles on a regular basis? Where are the engine failures fron all those engines not using these oils??

Originally Posted By: tpattgeek
Well, since cold start protection and engine longevity are all I'm really worried about, and it seems 0w is "thinner" at cold start than a 5w, I may give 0w-30 a shot.... thanks for the info.
What do you expect to see by going from a 5w to a 0w oil as far as cold starting goes in your climate.

Well, since cold start protection and engine longevity are all I'm really worried about, and it seems 0w is "thinner" at cold start than a 5w, I may give 0w-30 a shot.... thanks for the info.
What do you expect to see by going from a 5w to a 0w oil as far as cold starting goes in your climate.

I went from 5w-20 to 0w20 in my Civic and noticed better fuel economy and the sound of the engine when starting cold, especially in Winter, was much quieter. And no, it wasn't in my head. Others noticed that didn't know what oil was in the car.

About the warranty, Toyota says if you put dino, do 5k/6months. If you choose synthetic, do 10k and just reset the reminder at 5k.

Why do the new models "require" 0w-20 without knowing what your situation is? Is it environmental? Better protection? Can't be lower maintenance costs because of the difference in prices between the two.

Last edited:

About the warranty, Toyota says if you put dino, do 5k/6months. If you choose synthetic, do 10k and just reset the reminder at 5k.

Why do the new models "require" 0w-20 without knowing what your situation is? Is it environmental? Better protection? Can't be lower maintenance costs because of the difference in prices between the two.

Less used oil to dispose/recycle with syn oil if you double the dino OCI.

Lower maintenance cost with syn oil if you change oil filter at each oil change and labor cost is taken into account, assume that syn oil is twice as much as dino.

Syn oil: x-quarts + 1 oil filter + 1 labor in 10k miles.

Dino oil: 2x-quarts + 2 filters + 2 labor in 10k miles (2 x 5k miles).

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

If your car originally called for 5k oci, make sure with your dealer that 10K using syn is ok under warranty. My dealer DOES NOT interpret the new syn oil specs that way. Instead, my dealer says run synthetic under warranty if you like, but you still need to change every 5k if that's what was originally specified in your onwer's manual.

Originally Posted By: teddyboy
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

If your car originally called for 5k oci, make sure with your dealer that 10K using syn is ok under warranty. My dealer DOES NOT interpret the new syn oil specs that way. Instead, my dealer says run synthetic under warranty if you like, but you still need to change every 5k if that's what was originally specified in your onwer's manual.

Mine confirmed (verbally) that syn is perfectly fine and you can stretch to 10k on it under warranty. That is why the maintenance schedule on the 2011's has 10k OCI's and requires 0w-20. That's why I'm wondering why I should NOT use it on mine, when the same engine, 1 year newer, has it on the filler cap. I'm going to spend the same amount for M1 5-30 (if I went that route), so why not use 0w-20? Won't hurt, might help, no?

My wife's car is an 07. The exact engine in 2010 was speced with 0W20 and a 10K oci and yet they told me that I would violate the warranty if I did that with her car. Knowing how important the dealer is in the event of a warranty claim, I decided not to push the issue. I would want what your dealer said in writing. If they'll give it in writing, they will stand by it. Otherwise........

Why don't you email Toyota asking if using synthetic 0W20 in your car can you extend OCI to 10k miles ? Keep the email as document to support your claim in case you need warranty work on engine.

Exactly how many 200VI oils are there and what % of these oils will be used in vehicles on a regular basis? Where are the engine failures fron all those engines not using these oils??

ugghh.....this old straw man again? I really don't see where anyone said that 5WXX is destroying engines. If you could direct me to that post, I'd love to see it.

OK, here: use any oil which meets the manufacturer's specifications and certifications, change it at the factory-recommended interval applicable for your driving conditions, and you're guaranteed not to have an oil-related problem for the useful life of the vehicle.

There. Now we can close down the main forum!

Or, people can discuss oil because they want to extend their OCI, or they just want to reduce wear just because the want the maximum performance during the entire lifespan of the automobile's life--or, just because...

I enjoy searching of for the "best" oil for my conditions (within reason/cost). Yes, I realize the benefit is minimal. No, I don't think my engine will explode on any SM-rated 5W20 changed at 5K (my factory interval). I'm betting many people on this forum do the same.

good luck to you if you do 10k oci with synthetic...

I drained the synthetic oil after 6,000 miles ( mostly highway miles ).. It is super black.

Originally Posted By: moto94536

I drained the synthetic oil after 6,000 miles ( mostly highway miles ).. It is super black.

My '94 LS400 has more than 250k miles on Odometer now, it had 6-7k OCI with dino and 12-14k OCI with syn since new. The engine has no sludge, yes it has some vanish at the fill hole. It has OEM valve cover gaskets, so I don't know if it has any vanish under the cover. It doesn't leak oil anywhere but it consumes 1/2 quart per 3-4k miles since new.

My '00 E430 has more than 120k miles, it has only syn all its life with OCI at around 12-13k miles or 1 year. It doesn't consume any measurable amount of oil between changes. It now has xW20 syn oil for more than 3 years instead of oil in MB 229.3 list and it consumes no oil either.

I have very good luck with using syn oil to 13-14k OCI without problems so far.

Originally Posted By: moto94536

I won't go with 10K OCI's. Reasons are:

I'm extremely OCD and would not be able to sleep once it hits 5,001 miles since last OC.

I know it would save me money and possibly a whale, but I really don't care. (sarcasm, I love animals) The extra $20 - 30 (depending on vehicle) per year (doing it myself) is worth the peace of mind. Plus, it gives me a reason to get under the vehicle and inspect/have fun.
smile.gif

I have a perfect understanding that I may not reap the benefits of using a synthetic with my vehicle, driving habits, etc., which is why my first question was, why not? Since Toyota themselves said 0w-20 is acceptable for my vehicle, I may use it, I may not, but at least I know it's an option that won't void my warranty, and is just as good or better than anything else as far as protection.

I KNOW my Civic sounds and feels better with 0w-20. If my Sienna doesn't, then now I know, no big deal. I would LOVE for someone to point me in the direction, any direction, that says 0w-20 is BETTER for the 2GR-FE because....... (fill in the blank). If that's not possible, fine, I just want to settle it in my mind. Grrrrr.

Originally Posted By: teddyboy

If your car originally called for 5k oci, make sure with your dealer that 10K using syn is ok under warranty. My dealer DOES NOT interpret the new syn oil specs that way.

Did your dealer manufacture your vehicle? The warranty on a new vehicle comes from the factory that produced it, NOT the dealer. If your dealer is jerking you around in such a manner, I'd find a more reputable dealer. I could give a flying fig what a car dealer "interprets" about factory maintenance specs.

As my "new" Sienna comes to the end of the warranty period, its time for a confession:

It has had a couple of changes of Mobil 1 0W30, and a couple of changes of 0W20.... all at 10K intervals. If the Toyota 0W20 becomes available at a good price, I may well use that, but it also pleases that the 0W20 Mobil 1 is now available in 5 qt jugs.
With a lot of heavy towing....5,000 lbs, 4 days a week by schedule...I will stay with synthetics to counter possibly high oil temperatures, although the towing package includes an engine oil cooler.

So far the 0W20 has been great, and it treated out last two vehicles to 300,000 mile lifetimes using 20K OCI's, although they were spec'd for 5W30 and 5 k intervals.

Glad Toyota got on board with the 0W20.

Thanks for sharing your experience with 0w-20. Did you notice a difference in fuel economy or engine noise (the notorious piston slap) in the Sienna when using 0w-20?

Originally Posted By: fsskier
As my "new" Sienna comes to the end of the warranty period, its time for a confession:

It has had a couple of changes of Mobil 1 0W30, and a couple of changes of 0W20.... all at 10K intervals. If the Toyota 0W20 becomes available at a good price, I may well use that, but it also pleases that the 0W20 Mobil 1 is now available in 5 qt jugs.
With a lot of heavy towing....5,000 lbs, 4 days a week by schedule...I will stay with synthetics to counter possibly high oil temperatures, although the towing package includes an engine oil cooler.

So far the 0W20 has been great, and it treated out last two vehicles to 300,000 mile lifetimes using 20K OCI's, although they were spec'd for 5W30 and 5 k intervals.

Your experiences with M1 0-20 is the primary reason I decided to go with 0-20 in the Fusion. I like it so well that I now have two OCs of 0-20 in the stash, and the Focus gets it in a couple of weeks. Also recently I made a trip to Florida and got 1 MPG better than ever before with interstate driving.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: fsskier

Your experiences with M1 0-20 is the primary reason I decided to go with 0-20 in the Fusion. I like it so well that I now have two OCs of 0-20 in the stash, and the Focus gets it in a couple of weeks. Also recently I made a trip to Florida and got 1 MPG better than ever before with interstate driving.

+1. In my Civic, I noticed a more responsive accelerator and slightly better mileage. Not to mention an overall quieter engine, especially at start up. This is after changing from M1 5w-20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back