M/T tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
AT/3 is a normal AT tire. its going to be better in slush/icy frozen stuff, worse in deep snow and mud.

The Cooper ST is about halfway between a mud and AT tire.

Originally Posted By: Rand
AT/3 is a normal AT tire. its going to be better in slush/icy frozen stuff, worse in deep snow and mud.

The Cooper ST is about halfway between a mud and AT tire.

I like those coopers.

My private lane has 3 fairly serious grade changes, and we get our fair share yearly of 6-9-12 inches of snow, and of course when the ground is wet and im off road, it doesnt take long to start digging in corn fields.. The AT3's ARE OK, however they dont inspire the way my last set did. I live in a very remote location down the gravel roads and then down a quarter mile private lane to get to my property.. snow trucks come here last.. and they dont come down our lane.. In a bad storm it may be days later before they clear the gravel roads leading out to my place. the ability to dig my way out to clear roads with a set of nasty tires and 4x4 is important esp if we loose power and i have 2 kids under my roof ages under 4 yrs old.. so a set of fair weather AT3'S and a set of NASTY ?? M/T tires are on my short list.. its not just for hunting, its granting myself the ability to enter and exit my property when i need to. I cant tell you how many times my wifes been stuck in the car on our lane and ive had to go tow her in or out.. truth be told ive posted on here before about buying a second 4x4 95% of the time we dont need it, but when we do need it we really need it..

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
Check out Goodyear Duratracs. They're not MTs, but they are very aggressive ATs and they also carry the severe winter service rating.

gy_wranglerdt_owl_ci2_l.jpg

How are they in rain? Are they as bad as a M/T Tire?

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
Check out Goodyear Duratracs. They're not MTs, but they are very aggressive ATs and they also carry the severe winter service rating.

gy_wranglerdt_owl_ci2_l.jpg

How are they in rain? Are they as bad as a M/T Tire?
'

Not at all. The GY Duratrac tires are 10000000 times better than a M/T in rain and icy conditions.

^^ Thanks ^^ I've read a lot of good things about them, but there were a few reports of them not being that good in rain.

Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1

My private lane has 3 fairly serious grade changes, and we get our fair share yearly of 6-9-12 inches of snow, and of course when the ground is wet and im off road, it doesnt take long to start digging in corn fields.. The AT3's ARE OK, however they dont inspire the way my last set did. I live in a very remote location down the gravel roads and then down a quarter mile private lane to get to my property.. snow trucks come here last.. and they dont come down our lane.. In a bad storm it may be days later before they clear the gravel roads leading out to my place. the ability to dig my way out to clear roads with a set of nasty tires and 4x4 is important esp if we loose power and i have 2 kids under my roof ages under 4 yrs old.. so a set of fair weather AT3'S and a set of NASTY ?? M/T tires are on my short list.. its not just for hunting, its granting myself the ability to enter and exit my property when i need to. I cant tell you how many times my wifes been stuck in the car on our lane and ive had to go tow her in or out.. truth be told ive posted on here before about buying a second 4x4 95% of the time we dont need it, but when we do need it we really need it..

I remember that post about the backup 4x4.

Based on this description, I would be in a bit of a quandary. When we start talking about a foot of snow over GRAVEL and DIRT, I think a true MT may have more value than a A/T or M/T hybrid with lots of siping. Reason being, the ground beneath is soft... and therefore the snow won't "pack hard" as much--- it will cave in and sink. But if the ground is frozen solid, that is reversed-- you'd want siping. I'd also bring into question tire width--- where too wide would be bad--- not enough force per sq inch of lug on the ground--- you'd want narrow tires that cut down and deep and grab terra firma.

Sort of a unique need. Gravl roads in deep snow like that can be a little different. So can soft ground under lots of snow. In my experience, if it's muddy under the snow, it's the mud that becomes the problem.

that duratrac above could be interesting--- unusual blend of somewhat aggressive lugs, AND siping.

for me, it'd be something like that or just an all-out M/T---- which one comes stock on the jeep JK? They are surprising quiet on road.

Originally Posted By: meep
that duratrac above could be interesting--- unusual blend of somewhat aggressive lugs, AND siping.

for me, it'd be something like that or just an all-out M/T---- which one comes stock on the jeep JK? They are surprising quiet on road.

The cooper ST (not to be confused with STT)

is much more a mud tire than just about any other AT. It has special features that allow it to not pack up in mud.

Still my top vote unless you are going all out mud tire--which will be terrible on-road in the winter

t_20111109.copvl1.xl.jpg

also are studable
49.gif

http://us.coopertire.com/Tires/Light-Truck/DISCOVERER-S-T.aspx

Duratracs look very interesting too. Probably abit better onroad in the winter.

Would come down to prices

Just keep in mind the more "offroad" the design the worse they will be in winter on-road.

I honestly cant imagine getting stuck with regular AT's in snow unless there is mud underneath the snow.

I used to take my ranger with toyo AT's through all kinds of offroad 1ft deep ice whatever. It was actually better than some of the MT's that would be too aggressive and dig a giant hole in 2seconds. They would throw the snow and get much less traction.

Duratrac's would be my other choice
I have actually driven trucks with the cooper ST

No experience with the GY but they seem wildly popular.. they are also studable.

Last edited:
I have some experience running M/T's.

I ran a set of Pro Comp X-terrain on my lifted 02 Sierra, great all around tire, stuck to the road on the rain and did pretty good off road. But they were on road 95% of the time.

Another very good M/T is the Toyo O/C M/T. Great traction, not too loud, wore great, these were still on my truck when I sold her.

Both had very good on and off road manners.

HTH.

these coopers look a awfull lot like Cooper A/T3's.. the Mickeys look a bit more aggressive.. fact is though i dont care what they look like.. its how they dig.. I barely got offroad this weekend with the AT3's and was in about 2-4 inches of soupy mud in a wet corfield.. Just getting out of the field back on to the road i ended up in 4X4.. Even for a A/T tire i think thats a little pathetic.. as soon as it gets a little soupy they are about worthless..

no perfect solution. if you are in soup, the things that work best for soup won't work well for street. you do have 4x4, and you may have to accept that you'll NEED it in some situations.

I think those GYs are going to pack up on you in a heartbeat. the grooves will also be slightly narrower as they wear. But they will be the most on-road driveable and safe of the bunch (safe due to siping). I think I would look at on-road safety as a bit of a priority.... if you get stuck, you get stuck. if you slide into someone, then there is damage and injury.

or maybe put M/Ts on the back, and something with siping (sees the most brake duty) up front.

Originally Posted By: meep
no perfect solution. if you are in soup, the things that work best for soup won't work well for street. you do have 4x4, and you may have to accept that you'll NEED it in some situations.

I think those GYs are going to pack up on you in a heartbeat. the grooves will also be slightly narrower as they wear. But they will be the most on-road driveable and safe of the bunch (safe due to siping). I think I would look at on-road safety as a bit of a priority.... if you get stuck, you get stuck. if you slide into someone, then there is damage and injury.

or maybe put M/Ts on the back, and something with siping (sees the most brake duty) up front.

great points

Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1
these coopers look a awfull lot like Cooper A/T3's.. the Mickeys look a bit more aggressive.. fact is though i dont care what they look like.. its how they dig.. I barely got offroad this weekend with the AT3's and was in about 2-4 inches of soupy mud in a wet corfield.. Just getting out of the field back on to the road i ended up in 4X4.. Even for a A/T tire i think thats a little pathetic.. as soon as it gets a little soupy they are about worthless..

The only similarities I see between A/T3 and ST Maxx, are the words "Cooper" and Discoverer" on the sidewall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back