M&P Shield- slight case bulging with +P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: The_Eric
I can't be 100% certain, but no, I don't think there are any cracks- at least none that my eyes can detect.

That sure looks like a crack in the case in the photo. Maybe take another photo?

Did the feed ramp get worked over on this gun to made the case even more unsupported than factory stock?

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
Are you sure this is not a crack (in red below)?

Yes, I'm 99.9% sure it's not a crack. I realize it sure looks like it, but it's just a very abrupt beginning to the bulge. As for pics, I can get another- but won't be of that exact one. It got tossed in with other brass. There should be plenty of +P to choose from.

Zee0Six- this pistol is 100% completely stock.

I'm starting to wonder if it's a matter of a loose fitting chamber? I dug out the box the pistol came in and the spent cartridge they sent along when they test fired- it too has bulge. A BARELY perceivable bulge. You can't see it, just barely feel it when you run your fingers along the length. Does that sound feasible?

I'm starting to wonder if it's a matter of a loose fitting chamber? I dug out the box the pistol came in and the spent cartridge they sent along when they test fired- it too has bulge. A BARELY perceivable bulge. You can't see it, just barely feel it when you run your fingers along the length. Does that sound feasible?

Have you shot any regular pressure loaded brass cased ammo through it? How do those spent cases compare to the test round case?

Beats me. I never paid any attention to them, and they got tossed in with the rest of the 9mm brass I'll probably never get around to reloading... When I feel a little better, I may go out and run a few mags of standard pressure rounds through it to see what is happening. My guess is they will be similar to the test case.

Beats me. I never paid any attention to them, and they got tossed in with the rest of the 9mm brass I'll probably never get around to reloading... When I feel a little better, I may go out and run a few mags of standard pressure rounds through it to see what is happening. My guess is they will be similar to the test case.

It should not happen in standard 9mm ammo. Could be a case(no pun intended) over overly loaded or otherwise out of spec ammo in combination with the unsupported chamber. Just keep an eye on your cases with the gun.

Originally Posted By: Slick17601
I'm not sure that was caused by an unsupported chamber..it's too far forward.

That's a good point, and I agree: you'd expect any bulging or cracking to occur at the stress point, or near where the case "hangs out" of the chamber. The Shield doesn't have a fully supported chamber, but the round certainly seats further than that.

16901d1320885550-fully-supported-chamber-chamber-pics-007.jpg

Not my photo, and I realize that it's a .40 vs a 9mm. But the 9mm is similar in terms of how far the round seats.

Well guys, I think you got me thinking. A quick inspection showed me this... A machining line. A step of sorts.

20150309_071615_zpsenphfnso.jpg

Well guys, I think you got me thinking. A quick inspection showed me this... A machining line. A step of sorts,

Can you feel that line as a "ridge"? Is it a rough, sharp edge? If it is (and I suspect that it is), I would not fire this weapon with any ammo until S&W checked it out. All it would take is for a cartridge with a weak spot and you could have a catastrophic failure. It seems the machine work was not properly done or completed on the chamber.

That barrel looks wonky. Agree with above that you might have a problem.

As far as the original pic of the shell casing, there is a difference between an actual case "bulge", and a case expanding to fit the chamber. It is normal to have a case expand like that to fit a chamber, especially on 9mm when you have a tapered chamber. I have reloaded many cases that have expanded a lot, and no problems. If a case actually "bulges" to a diameter larger than the chamber, likely on the unsupported area above the feed ramp, then you have problems, potential kaboom type problems.

An update: S&W replied to my e-mail- they want the pistol back. They sent a pre-paid call tag, so I have to get it all boxed up and sent off, maybe tomorrow.

I'd call that fairly prompt and good customer service.

Well guys, I think you got me thinking. A quick inspection showed me this... A machining line. A step of sorts.

20150309_071615_zpsenphfnso.jpg

That step in the chamber isn't normal. Sounds like S&W is all over it.

An update: S&W replied to my e-mail- they want the pistol back. They sent a pre-paid call tag, so I have to get it all boxed up and sent off, maybe tomorrow.

I'd call that fairly prompt and good customer service.

The real test is how fast you get it back. I know of one major gun company that hurriedly sent out call tags to a bunch of people and they are only 6 months behind schedule on getting their replacement pistols. *coughs...Remington*

Agreed. I looked at a friend's Shield yesterday and his lacked that funky machining line- just a smooth transition from feed ramp to chamber.

Agreed. I looked at a friend's Shield yesterday and his lacked that funky machining line- just a smooth transition from feed ramp to chamber.

Yep, new barrel and you'll be all fixed up.

Well, it's in the wind- FedEx picked it up this afternoon. I'm just a little uneasy about not having direct control of my firearm at all times, but I suppose it's done all the time.

Well, it's in the wind- FedEx picked it up this afternoon. I'm just a little uneasy about not having direct control of my firearm at all times, but I suppose it's done all the time.

Yep -- you have a "chain of custody" of sorts. You have an email or phone record from Smith requesting the pistol back and you have a tracking number from FedEx. Did you ship through a FFL, or ship it from yourself, individually? I believe that you are allowed to individually ship a firearm, but cannot individually receive it unless you hold a FFL.

I think you're good to go. I'd expect Smith to take a few weeks. If you don't hear back by April, I'd check back with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back