Lug Nuts

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am tired of the cheapo OEM silver wheel covers on my ride, so I am just going to take them off and rock the black steelies. This exposes the silvery, open end lug nuts, which doesnt look all that great. I'm thinking about getting some black, closed end lugs to replace the stock ones. Maybe get some that are a little longer, as the stock ones are open and barely to the end of the lug. How do I figure out the thread pattern (03 tundra)? Is there anything else I have to look out for? I see some listed as acorn, bulge acorn, etc...

If this works out I might do this to another vehicle too :p
never owned a car with aluminum wheels! really tired of oem plastic wheelcovers

I rock the black steel donuts too!

Makes me feel like Mad Max.

Nobody wants to mess with a guy riding on steelies in the Summer.

I was pulled over once, the Cop noticed the steelies, and let me go. I think I even saw him pick up the pace when he was walking back to his cruiser.

Spend some time at the Gorilla Automotive Products web site. Download the application manual and study their tech. pages. They cover all the basics.

Does anyone have experience and opinions of black chrome lug nuts?

After a stop at autozone and trying out a spider wrench on the stock lugnuts, looks like I have 21mm (13/16") hex head, M12x1.5 thread.

I suppose with steelies I can use either acorn or acorn bulge. All the gorilla ones have conical seat (not ball seat). The ones I have on there OEM are probably what they call acorn open end.

Im looking at acorn bulge black chrome 91137BC or 91137BCB

Last edited:
Questions: Is there a difference between black "finish" and black chrome?

I thought when I checked Gorilla's applications guide they showed yours as 14 x1.5, but I may have been mistaken. .......never mind, their book only shows 2007 and up.

Show us pics when you are done.

Last edited:
If you have to "redneck mic" your lug studs, stick an open end wrench over them. 12mm is real close to 1/2" but a 12mm wrench won't fit over a 1/2.

The "acorn" is the shape seat and is most common. Tire rack must have info on this. It's basically a 45 degree angle taper, which centers everything as the lugs are tightened. Get the wrong type and it won't stay tight and will chew up your wheels.

I believe the most common angle for a conical-seat lug is 60 degrees, not 45? But I digress. I prefer the acorn-bulge style as I don't quite like the way the regular acorn lug seat digs into the hex part of the nut. They're the same angle, but I like how there's a bit of a 'shoulder' to the acorn-bulge. Acorn-bulge will also work a bit better with aluminum wheels.

If you don't mind the spline small diamter lugs, this may be a good choice: Gorilla 21133BC Small Diameter kit 12x1.5
It doesn't seem Gorilla makes an install kit of the 21mm acorn-bulge black chrome, it only comes in four-pack or in bulk 21mm acorn-bulge gorilla lugs the acorn-bulge would likely look more 'factory' than small splines against the steel wheels and wouldn't necessitate the use of a adapter key with your spare tools.

Quote:
The "acorn" is the shape seat
Acorn denotes the dome covering the hole in the middle.

The face of the nut can be tapered or spherical (usually Honda/Acura) or other shape (Toyota's flat surface for certain alloy wheels).

Take one nut off. Take it into an auto parts store and find a bolt that fits the threads. From the bolt specs you now know the thread diameter and thread pitch (threads per inch or millimeters per thread). Look into the catalog and match the thread, the face, and adequate length to cover the exposed length of the stud.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back