Lucas red and tacky running out of parts.

I switched to this grease mostly because it has ok specs and is available everywhere. It's been well over 100F lately and it seems to be turning into oil and running out of the ball joints and what not.

Anyone else seen it do this?

Attachments

• IMG_20230723_163720555.jpg
    IMG_20230723_163720555.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 123
I'd be the first to admit I don't know chemistry the way some others do here on BITOG. What little I know about grease is that if the soaps are not compatible, they will separate and the lube will seep out of the base. This may be your issue; if the R&T isn't compatible with whatever was in there before it arrived, so to speak.

I'd be the first to admit I don't know chemistry the way some others do here on BITOG. What little I know about grease is that if the soaps are not compatible, they will separate and the lube will seep out of the base. This may be your issue; if the R&T isn't compatible with whatever was in there before it arrived, so to speak.
I only use compatable greases that are lithium based. So it's not that

I'm pre-flighting the camper tomorrow. I'll have to take a look. I've recently serviced the wet bolts and hubs with R&T. The right side of it takes full afternoon sun, and I have the tire covers off, so I'm sure they've been hotter than the mid-90's air temps.

I used Lucas Red N Tacky in the past with no problems, however my go to lately is Mag1.

Contact Lucas, possibly got a bad batch.

I'm in Phoenix Arizona which is obliterating the temperature record for consecutive days above 110 F. I use R&T in the U-joints of my 4WD 4Runner. I think the yokes are showing more oil film covered with dirt than it did when I last lubricated it 4 months ago. I'll lube it again when the weather cools in two months and see if the extruded grease texture is dry. It's not dripping, so I suspect it will be OK.

I’ve found red and tacky to do just as your described and have stopped using it because of this.

I’ve never seen this with Lucas R&T. I recently switched to Mystik red because of price and availability. I’d contact Lucas for recommendations and worst case switch to something else. I won’t tolerate dripping of any substance.

Just my $0.02

How long did it take to accumulate that much dirt on the spindle? Perhaps the ball joint rubber boot is cracked or worn. How old is it and how many miles?

Back