Lubri Moly MoS2 Can Rinse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just added my first can to my 1990 K1500 5.7TBI 170k miles with 10w40 M1 HM.

Note to users of LM MoS2...I rinsed the metal bottle 4 times with approx. 3-5 oz. each time, and the virgin M1 oil came out a similar color of the full strength product each time.

Rinse your empty bottles.

I think of the 5 quart's I put into my sister's Ford Taurus I went through rinsing out that can with 4 of them before it looked like "normal" oil.
It doesn't take much MOS2 to make oil look black.

+1 I usually add the mos2 before adding the last qt. then I use that qt to rinse out the mos2 can until I get bored. usually like 3 to 6 times.

I guess it shows how well MoS2 can bond to metal. The inside of the Lubromoly can was still black after rinsing it with 3qts of oil.

Next can I'll probably cut it open and see how much I can wipe off with my finger.

Lubro-moly states their particles are small and uniform in size(IIRC one conversation with those folks stated most of their particles to be under 2um.) This may explain, in part, why it doesn't fall out of suspension/hand in hand with adheres to the internals of the engine.

Add me to the list of bottle rinsing members. I add 3 qts of oil, then use the remaining oil to rinse the MoS2 bottle out. I pour a few ounces in, shake and pour, then repeat until that bottle is fairly clean. You'll probably never get it all out, lol. It takes a little extra time, but while I'm doing it I'm cleaning up after the oil change.

i just don't understand why you select few continue to use a mos2 in your oil! its not for motor oil but for greases!!that stuff leaves deposits and build up sludge all over the place..and no i have no paper on it its what i have seen in the engines.my opinion.read mola's on moly uses just a few days ago.he hit it right on as always!!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: boxcartommie22
i just don't understand why you select few continue to use a mos2 in your oil! its not for motor oil but for greases!!that stuff leaves deposits and build up sludge all over the place..and no i have no paper on it its what i have seen in the engines.my opinion.read mola's on moly uses just a few days ago.he hit it right on as always!!

In the engines I've used of tested it in the product worked quite well. Many others here had similar results. Would I use it every time I change the oil? No, there is no need to, IMO once the product plates it will stick around for quite a while. Some found that adding an ounce per qt of oil each OCI after the initial full bottle is all that is needed. Opinions vary. I'd love to see the sludged up engines caused by this product that weren't neglected.

BTW I feel Biotech Engine Protectant is a better product for those that feel the need to add something each OCI.

What are you talking about? It's a fine grain of metal (usually 0.2 micros) like in Lubro Moly MoS2. There is no way that it a particle of metal can cause sludging. Sludging is caused by ORGANIC material. That's why slude is greasy. I've never seen Moly used in any chemical reaction as a catalyst either. I can't possible fathom how moly itself can cause an oil to sludge, and I'm a chemist.

You got a link to some genius theory as to why this happens? I'd love to see it.

Let's see...
Many piston rings, pistons, cams, lifters, etc., come with a moly coating. Most engine oils use a form of moly.
But if WE add a bit to the oil, some think it is harmful or non beneficial? [This is not Slick 50.] They were selling versions of moly additive 25 years ago in German car dealerships here and abroad.

If it does nothing, then why would those who are against it also say do NOT use it in manual transmissions [because of potential synchro slipping]?? Think about that one! You can't have it both ways!

Anyways, I also add oil and shake it around to glean the last vestiges of Lubro Moly from the can. At least once!

32.gif

This thread's not about why we are using it, it's about bottle rinsing! Yes, I rinse my bottles as well!
thumbsup2.gif

I didn't use MoS2 yet, I do rinse VSOT which is very thick to get the as much as I can from the bottle. I add few ounces of oil to the near empty bottle and leave it in the engine compartment to heat it up, when I go to a gas station to fill up the bottle is semi-hot and the fluid is easily pour into the fill hole.

I'd at least give it a good rinse once before tossing the can in the garbage. Question, is there a way to recycle the can since it has this residue? Not to get OT. Re-close it and should be no problem, right?

Originally Posted By: spasm3
i save the can, and add fresh oil. this goes in the pushmover each spring.

Good idea. 300ml = roughly 10oz and the mower takes 20oz - what a great concept. I think I'll steal this.

Originally Posted By: bigmike

Good idea. 300ml = roughly 10oz and the mower takes 20oz - what a great concept. I think I'll steal this.

I'm pretty sure he fills the mower, he's just not wasting that leftover good Moly.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: bigmike

I'm pretty sure he fills the mower, he's just not wasting that leftover good Moly.
smile.gif

Yeah, I could have been clearer in my post. I was just thinking that measuring 20oz is always a bit of a pain for me, but using a Lubro Moly can would be nice because it measures 10oz, which is half the fill for my Toro push mower. And, it recycles the can into another use, which is always a plus.

Originally Posted By: wirelessF
I guess it shows how well MoS2 can bond to metal. The inside of the Lubromoly can was still black after rinsing it with 3qts of oil.

Next can I'll probably cut it open and see how much I can wipe off with my finger.

LOL If simply sloshing around some motor oil will take it off the sides of the can, what do you think will happen with oil under pressure from a pump?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back