Lube Control and carbon on rings

Status
Not open for further replies.
The carbon under discussion isn't really on the rings. Rather, it's in the ring grooves and causes the rings to stick in the grooves instead of flexing and conforming to the cylinder bore.

Ken

Usually a little wide open throttle acceleration on a regular basis gets the rings working . This cleans the stuff out.

Yes it will clean the grooves, and if you know or suspect there is carbon in the grooves I would use the Mola Soak Method. (MSM
grin.gif
)

Remove spark plugs and pour 4 oz. (120 mL) of LC in each cylinder. Let soak for 1 hour, then rotate crankshaft 1 revolution by hand using 1/2" or larger drive, ratchet wrench.

Let sit overnight and make sure LC has soaked past rings to avoid hydrolock on startup. Replace plugs, fire the mother up, and go smokin' down the highway. After test drive, replace oil and filter.

Use a maintainance dose of ARX to keep those lands and grooves clean.

[ June 20, 2003, 04:25 PM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

Molakule have you ever tried delivering LC to the intake charge in the form of an airasol? With the engine runing the rings would get a very dynamic cleaning. I was thinking that it could be cut with something that would not chemicly react with it. Could you use gas,kerosine or something as as a carrier. I was thinking that after your over night soak that this would work well to finish the job.

[ June 20, 2003, 07:37 PM: Message edited by: JohnBrowning ]

There has been discussion on this web site about carbon getting on rings used in Saturn cars. I have used Auto-RX and as far as I can tell, my engine is clean (the oil stays clean for a long time after I change oil). I have ordered some Lube Control and it should be arriving some time next week.

My question is, if there might be any carbon still left on the rings, will the Lube Control remove that carbon?

I would imagine since the LC is vapourised, there wouldnt be enough LC that would pass the rings and penetrate the ring grooves to make a difference. Soaking is the way to go!

LEO, Combustion is not even close to 100% so their would be plenty left to work into the rings. This is how dealerships especial GM clean the rings, piston crown and combustion. They also use an adapter to clean EGR ports. So the principal is already tested. The only difference would be LC instead of other cleaning agent. I was just woundering if anyone had tried it.

If I remember correctly either Bob or some of his customers were fogging their engine with Neutra by pulling off a vacuum line and sipping in the Neutra being carefull not to slug a bunch in,I would think LC would work in much the same way,I've thought about putting it in a spray bottle and misting it in the intake.

I've atomized , via spray bottle, both Neutra and SeaFoam. Each has caused piston top carbon deposits to disappear.

I have been thinking the SeaFoam may be too harsh it has a strong solvent smells like naphtha (sp).

The Neutra seems less harsh. But it also takes longer to work.

In this case that seems like a good thing.

Let us know how the Lube Control works!

[ June 22, 2003, 08:46 PM: Message edited by: Neil Womack ]

John,

Haven't tried the "Misty" method with LC or Neutra, but sounds like a good way to get small droplets of either product into the combustion chamber. I have poured Neutra directly into the intake and of course it smokes, but I would think LC would smoke a bit more since it's viscosity is a bit higher than Neutra.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back