LT vs P tires and durability

Curious how much of a correlation there is between running an LT vs a P-metric and increased tire durability. Specifically in regards to picking up flats/puctures. Though LT's are certain much more robust, as evidenced by significantly higher tire weights, we are also well past the days of 10 ply and most models of tire have the same number of belts between their LT and P versions.

Anecdotally I have certainly picked up FAR fewer flats on LT tires and never once in my daily driver. At work I've had a few, mostly after extended runs down a shoulder during rush hour, though. I've picked up a number of flats in p-metrics over the years, though (most recently a piece of PLASTIC flatted my wife's Michelin Primacy XC).

My P-rated 235/75/15 XL have a higher load rating than my LT235/75/15 LRC BFG tires. The BFG's were so mediocre in the snow despite their snowflake on the mountain rating, I had to change them out. Never did get a flat in them though, I'll give them that.

All I can say is that every time I took a 4wd truck or SUV on a 4wd trail with P-rated tires that the vehicles came with, I got at least one flat. Now, I swap out P-rated tires immediately on vehicles that will be driven on 4wd trails.

Also keep in mind that P-rated tires have their load capacity reduced by a factor of 1.1, when they're installed on a pickup or SUV.

LTs are just a LOT stronger, in every way, than a P metric. If you can handle the rough ride, they're pretty much always the way to go on anything that hauls/tows & can handle them. Including trailers!

Suspension systems are tuned based on what type of tire the OEM will install. It’s not just a harsher ride … some vehicles will pitch hard if a multi ply LT encounters rough roads at higher speeds … back roads or construction areas etc. I have been back and forth on these tires through the years and would shop a lower weight rated LT if not going on a PSD Super Duty et al - that is both heavy and tows heavy.

I get significantly more tread life from a LT 10-ply vs any other I've ever tried on my ½ ton truck. I've never noticed less ride quality on 10-ply tires either....and I've never had one go flat.

I get significantly more tread life from a LT 10-ply vs any other I've ever tried on my ½ ton truck. I've never noticed less ride quality on 10-ply tires either....and I've never had one go flat.
Your truck then defies the laws of physics if all that extra weight of an LT tire doesn't affect the ride. I put "XL" tires on my Silverado (much higher load rating than the OEM "P" rated) and I can feel the difference

Your truck then defies the laws of physics if all that extra weight of an LT tire doesn't affect the ride. I put "XL" tires on my Silverado (much higher load rating than the OEM "P" rated) and I can feel the difference
Ummm...I never said it doesn't "affect the ride". I clearly said I've never experienced LESS (worse) ride quality. I used to work in a shop where we installed lift kits and larger wheel/tire packages on trucks of all makes, models and sizes. Nearly all of those customers said their ride quality was often as good and sometimes even BETTER than the OE ride quality....same as what I've experienced on my personal truck.

I can assure you I've probably got as much time behind a steering wheel than anybody you know. From dirt bikes to daily drivers to race cars to 18 wheelers. I absolutely recognize a difference in ride quality when I feel it.

What about the unsprung weight of certain LT tires? Higher load ranges mean heavier wheel assemblies. I’ve owned several trucks. They have all been 2WD. I try to stay as close to OE rated tires as possible, when replacing the tires. If your truck or SUV came factory equipped with LT tires then, stay with the LT tires. Towing and off road benefit from LT tires.

I think the unsprung weight would be the biggest difference in handling. On one hand, the heavier tire may mask certain types of road disturbances, but others causing suspension movement would be more pronounced to control it. After living with those decisions in past vehicles for heavier and larger tires and wheels, my truck today is .... stock.

it reads like, to me, some trucks mask the penalties of heavier wheels and tires that others. My TRD (stiffer sprung) tundra made no bones about doling out punishment for such mods in my past. The softly sprung ford I have now would certainly mask it better, but I’m not gonna.

I used to run LT tires on my 98 chevy 1/2 ton for years but was getting tired of the rougher ride. Went back to P rated tires and now it rides like it did prior to the LT ones.

I appreciate the opinions on load ratings and ride quality but was really hoping to focus specifically on flat resistance. Do we have a consensus that the LTs really do offer better flat resistance?

I appreciate the opinions on load ratings and ride quality but was really hoping to focus specifically on flat resistance. Do we have a consensus that the LTs really do offer better flat resistance?
Not if you mean flat spots …

I would think a 6 ply tire would more resistant to flats than a 4 ply tire. Still, no guarantees.

You certainly don’t want a Load Range E tire on a 1/2 ton pickup. Load Range E tires are for 3/4 ton pickups and vans.

I switched from p-metrics to LT load range E AT tires on my avalanche. I wish i had a long time ago. The handling during towing is so much better. Steering is more responsive. A tad rougher on bumps, but smooth on the hwy. I'm running 50psi, 60 psi towing.

I switched from p-metrics to LT load range E AT tires on my avalanche. I wish i had a long time ago. The handling during towing is so much better. Steering is more responsive. A tad rougher on bumps, but smooth on the hwy. I'm running 50psi, 60 psi towing.
I have load range e duratracs on my gm 1500 also. Like you say it rides a bit harsh, but not enough my fiancee notices, but it does seem to handle really good. It's been 3-4 years since the p metric silent armors were replaced so I don't remember the difference very clearly. I feel like the stiff sidewalls make the truck handle like it's on rails. For comparison the company has a 2010 Tacoma also carrying the same weight (probably maxed out for payload) and it has p metric winter tires on it and it rides and handles like an old worn out Cadillac.

Back