Lower octane in turbo engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: rg200amp
Originally Posted By: gathermewool
If the tune is designed to run on 87, but will occasionally pull timing, then a higher octane is warranted. Using 91 over 87 will provide an engine with a tune designed for 87 plenty of margin to detonation. Heck, maybe they cut it close with the 87 statement, but 89 would be sufficient. In that case, even 91 would be overkill. However, if the engine never experiences any knock and adds full timing using 89 or 91, then 93 would simply be a waste of money, with zero value added.

Yes, but today's computers on todays cars and VVT can also advance timing, over time, to get even better performance and MPG.

I would give 93 a try for a few fill ups and see if there is any gain before I rule it out all together.

They do, but they can only add so much. You're not going to be running 45 degrees of advanced timing or maximum VVT utilization just because you put some 100 octane in. The ECU has a set of values it will run as a base. Timing is added as the ECU sense no knock events, but can only add so much.

For instance, there are some in the STI community who are tuned for 91 octane fuel and run maximum timing on 91 octane fuel. They would not experience any gains if they decided to switch to 93 fuel, unless they were tuned right to within a gnats butt of knock and occasionally, during certain situations, knock would occur. To be conservative, 93 octane might be used, but the benefit would only be during those few instances where knock might occur, but not any other time.

Based on what some of you posted, this 2.0T is tuned pretty aggressively, seemingly too aggressively for the minimum 87 octane rating. If it were the case where knock were occurring frequently while heavily loaded and using 87 octane, but never while using 89 octane, then the ECU would add max timing, and no gains would be seen using anything higher. If, however, knock still occurred while using 89 octane, even if only during certain high load situation, then 91 might provide some gain.

Based on the above assumptions, I can't see anything higher than 91 being necessary for an engine tune for 87, even if aggressively so. I most definitely could be wrong, but it would seem that if 93 were required to prevent all knock, then just about all of those who are using 87 would be experiencing major detonation and engine damage. I know my STI wouldn't last very long if I decided to fill up with a tank full of 87 with how I drive. Even at wastegate boost, I'd still be knocking like crazy I think.

Based on what some of you posted, this 2.0T is tuned pretty aggressively, seemingly too aggressively for the minimum 87 octane rating. If it were the case where knock were occurring frequently while heavily loaded and using 87 octane, but never while using 89 octane, then the ECU would add max timing, and no gains would be seen using anything higher. If, however, knock still occurred while using 89 octane, even if only during certain high load situation, then 91 might provide some gain.

Based on the above assumptions, I can't see anything higher than 91 being necessary for an engine tune for 87, even if aggressively so. I most definitely could be wrong, but it would seem that if 93 were required to prevent all knock, then just about all of those who are using 87 would be experiencing major detonation and engine damage. I know my STI wouldn't last very long if I decided to fill up with a tank full of 87 with how I drive. Even at wastegate boost, I'd still be knocking like crazy I think.

your assuming everything here. Whos to say 89 would stop all knocking???

Just because 91 may stop all knocking, that does not mean 93 may not allow the timing to advance a hair more.

Your stating whats going to happen. You nor I know what is going to happen. We have zero idea what the car's computer is capable of with different octanes. You wish to believe 91 octane is the magic bullet and nothing higher will have any effect.

But in reality we both have no idea. I am saying, see what happens.

Try 91 octane for a few months. Try 93 for a few. See what one gets the best MPG.
21.gif

Just because 91 may stop all knocking, that does not mean 93 may not allow the timing to advance a hair more.

Your stating whats going to happen. You nor I know what is going to happen. We have zero idea what the car's computer is capable of with different octanes. You wish to believe 91 octane is the magic bullet and nothing higher will have any effect.

Try 91 octane for a few months. Try 93 for a few. See what one gets the best MPG.
21.gif

I'm assuming that Hyundai is smart enough not to tell its owners to use 87 if 93 is required to prevent knock. Again, I can see them tuning aggressively and letting the ECU learn some knock events, but to say that 93 would provide increased mileage and power over 91 would be saying that the tune is SO aggressive that running the suggested 87 octane would more than likely result in engine damage in a good number of their 2.0T motors. THAT seems like a pretty big assumption.

21.gif

I'm assuming that Hyundai is smart enough not to tell its owners to use 87 if 93 is required to prevent knock. Again, I can see them tuning aggressively and letting the ECU learn some knock events, but to say that 93 would provide increased mileage and power over 91 would be saying that the tune is SO aggressive that running the suggested 87 octane would more than likely result in engine damage in a good number of their 2.0T motors. THAT seems like a pretty big assumption.

A big assumption?!?!?!?!?!?!? I am going off what the OP has stated!!!!

Originally Posted By: poiuy223
The complaints that people have been posting pertain to detonation issues with 87 octane in the egine, causing plugs to melt.

The consensus among most Mazda DISI-turbo owners is "run 91+ or die".

I don't know on the Hyundai/Kia. I'm not sure I would step all the way down to 87 all at once. Maybe top off with 89 and see if it knocks. If not you can try a full tank of 89. Still no knock, gradually top off with more and more 87.
21.gif

I tried lower octane in the PT....at higher boost levels it knocked real bad. But that is a different creature entirely. (not direct injection)

I agree with the Americans are the only reason all cars don't need 91+ comment. My Jeep was factory tuned for 91 (and aggressively so, slightly stale 93 will ping in it), with no knock sensor. And just yesterday, I had a friend go on a rant about how premium gas is a conspiracy to make more money for the oil companies, and my Jeep must have been a result of the oil companies paying off the manufacturer, etc.

As far as the Hyundais, if they say it needs 87, and it pings there, try some 89 and see what happens. Give 91 or 93 a shot as well, and see where the pinging stops and which one gives best power / mpg.

For those of you whom have never owned a gas turbocharged engine I have to wonder what you would do if this were yours? I have owned over the years 2 Corvair turbos(yes I am old but not stupid yet) and also 2 Mopar turbos, an 86 LeBaron Highline and an 06 PTGT,knock is detonation and detonation can burn holes in pistons or just flat go boom.In my experience I have always used 92 or 93 octane to insure first do no harm and second to enjoy the performance which could be why some people buy turbos. Be careful with your free advice since it is not your investment and also because you may not know what you are talking about. IMHO.

Filled the tank with 91 last night. Went on a 40mi trip and the car revs smoother. Acceleration feels easy and RPMs are lower. My foot now needs to lose some weight. I guess premium gas does benefit me

21.gif

A big assumption?!?!?!?!?!?!? I am going off what the OP has stated!!!!

Originally Posted By: poiuy223
The complaints that people have been posting pertain to detonation issues with 87 octane in the egine, causing plugs to melt.

I didn't mean to start an argument. My point is that, like my advice, the OP's thread is based on other interwebbers posting about their problems with out any actual data or proof - no logs, pics of melted plugs, etc. The damage I'm talking about with this level of supposed detonation wouldn't just melt some plugs. The difference between 87 octane and 93 octane is huge, especially for MODERN turbo-charged cars, with modern knock control schemes, so the difference between needing 93 octane and 87 octane to prevent all knock and allow for max timing to be added is huge.

I think we're on the same page, based on what the OP has stated, that 87 in this application is a bad idea, if indeed they are knocking, but it seems we're stuck on semantics. Again, my point was simply that it seems like very bad business for Hyundai to design an engine that REQUIRES 93 octane and then state that 87 octane is ok. At the very least, people would be immediately complaining to their nearest dealer that they had very little power and mileage was in the dumps.

I can see knock correction in my logs when I get a less-than-adequate tank of 93 octane fuel. I'd never do this, but I believe my ECM would be able to pull back dynamic advance and learn knock sufficiently to protect my motor if I ran 91 octane. If I ran 87 octane, I doubt my ring lands, bearings or pistons as a whole would last long at all. That is unless I drove everywhere at less than the load required for onset of knock.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: getnpsi
I dont think its worth it to see if your ecu is faster than a flame. Run 91 or higher in a turbo all the time everytime.

Definitely agree now. I did run a tank of 89 a couple months back, but that didn't see any difference. 91 made the ride a little smoother, not substantial, but enough to make me use 91 from now on

At first I thought the 87 might be a misprint or "generic" OM that didn't really cover the turbo. A quick Google proved that wrong. They did indeed engineer this engine to run on 87 with larger cooling passages, etc. It's 9.5 compression ratio and up to 17+ lbs of boost. That's nuts IMHO. I think the difference between the test bench and the real world is going to bite Hyundai in the behind on this one. Run 91-93.

Ed

Regular (unleaded) is usually 87 octane.
Mid-Grade is usually 89 octane
Premium is usually 91 to 93 octane.

I have not been to a Sunoco lately, but they offered a 4th choice between the 89 and 93-ish octane.

My point is, USUALLY 91-93 is the premium fuel.....and costs about 20 cents more than regular (87) fuel.
So a choice between 91 and 93 octane usually means going to another station.

For the OP, experiment and see what works best for you.
If the 91 premium worked for you, then I would use that instead of the 87 octane and all the pinging.
If you want to expermiment more, you might try the 89 octane.
HOWEVER, I suspect that you will find a difference between stations (brands) with the midgrade (89 octane).
I have found a difference between stations with the Premium fuel.
I try to get my fuel from a brand that is rated at "Top Tier"

The owner's manual for my Toyota states minimum of 87 octane, but for improved performance octane of 91 or higher recommended.
In my case, I like the premium fuel better.

My last vehicle did not seem to run any better on midgrade or premium as compared to the regular.
So, it is vehicle dependant......what is best for my vehicle is not necessarily best for a different vehicle.

One thing I might note, it "may" take some time for the computer to fully "learn" the best data for a different fuel, so don't jump to conclusions from the beginning of a new tank of fuel.....but pay attention over the whole tank of fuel.
Giving the computer a chance to "learn", should be within the first 1/4 tank, should give you the best overall data.

As the OP's vehicle is new, and should be in good working order (no carbon buildup over time in the combustion chamber), then we are not trying to correct a problem but to find the best fuel for this particular vehicle in its factory tuned state.

Originally Posted By: wiswind

For the OP, experiment and see what works best for you.
If the 91 premium worked for you, then I would use that instead of the 87 octane and all the pinging.
If you want to expermiment more, you might try the 89 octane.
HOWEVER, I suspect that you will find a difference between stations (brands) with the midgrade (89 octane).
I have found a difference between stations with the Premium fuel.
I try to get my fuel from a brand that is rated at "Top Tier"

I tried 89 once and didn't notice much. My first time trying 91 and got a smoother ride. I went to a Mobil gas station. Chevron, Shell, or 76 any better? Guess I have more testing to do...try both 89 and 91 of each brand..

All the more reason to rack up more miles

Quick question popped in my head:

Since CA has no 93 around, how does pumping 91 and adding octane booster sound?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back