Low viscosity oil for all Honda bike since 2006

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Qwiky
Originally Posted By: StromRider
Originally Posted By: MrMeeks
It seems modern oils don't need to be 'thick'.

Since nearly all 10w40 turns into a 30 weight anyway, it may not make much difference in the real world. It may be worth noting that the manual for my suzuki vstrom "recommends" 10w40 but "allows" 15w40 even though the latter is more shear stable.

that logic assumes that a 30W oil won't shear as much as a 40W

A 10w30 can be made with no vii polymers so if its is a good 10w30 it need not shear at all. I suspect nearly all 10w40 oil is just heavy 10w30 plus polymers that go away almost immediately. In any case I would take a solid 10w30 with a good ht/hs over most 5w40 or 0w40 oils since I have seen how bad they can shear. The one I tried, castrol rs 4t 5w40, was close to a twenty weight in just 1300 miles of easy commuting.

I run the GN4 5/30 in a 84 VF700C Magna because of the rear cam seems fine and I'd go even lower if I could find it...fwiw I run the 5/30 in a TRX680 Rincon too.

I ran a straight 30 weight one time, that stuff, the hotter it gets the thinner it gets. Oils with viscosity improvers do not thin out as much.

I dont know which has the better protection, I hear an oil viscosity polymer offers very little lubricant , so maybe much thinner oil molecule still equals protection.

But the straight 30 weight was coming out of a 220 degree motor, it drain instantly not even any dripping, it was so thin, just like water.
The oils that really seem to do well have been the 15w40's, those light oils add in some fual and shear and i wouldnt expect any less than alittle more wear.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back