Low beams went out on 2006 Chevrolet Silverado

Status
Not open for further replies.
2006 Silverado 1500HD, 220K miles.

Suddenly lost the low beams. Everything else works. I replaced the HDLP-LOW relay without success. Both headlights are a few months old and unlikely they would both go out at the same time.

Don't get solid hits via searches, let alone how to resolve it. What's the most likely issue, high/low switch on the steering wheel? And how do you replace it?

Or the headlight switch, whose repair is documented here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hMEcH3CrNU

There was a similar issue here:

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/35936-no-low-beams/

And here:

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/153241-low-beams-stopped-working-on-05-tahoe/

Originally Posted By: pacem
Both headlights are a few months old and unlikely they would both go out at the same time.

Don't bet on it. Two bulbs, manufactured to the same specifications on the same assembly line, powered on the same amount of time, subjected to the same bumps and vibrations, could very well go out at about the same time.

Get out your test meter-it's not hard to remove one and test the socket to be certain. Then you'll know rather than guess.

Since I am unable to edit the OP --

Just noticed the DRL are also out. Does that point to the multi-function switch?

Is the HDLP-LOW the same thing as the HDM? Do the trucks have a HDM? Because that's what I immediately thought of.

If your high beams work, I would say the ground source is good. The switch is the next likely candidate for replacement. The one video shows where it is, and how to do it . Seems pretty straight forward.,,,

Since I am unable to edit the OP --

Just noticed the DRL are also out. Does that point to the multi-function switch?

Check the 30A fuse under the hood labeled Park LP IIRC

Originally Posted By: TmanP
Is the HDLP-LOW the same thing as the HDM? Do the trucks have a HDM? Because that's what I immediately thought of.

Not sure what the HDM is but replacing the HDLP-LOW didn't do a thing, I was confidence that was the thing until I noticed today the daytime running lights are out also.

BBB Industries a has a free online wiring diagram database. You'll have to give them your email address, but they're completely safe. Pull up the diagram, check the fuse on the low beam circuit, and go from there.

I recommend you guys bookmark this link if you don't have a factory service manual.

http://bbbind.com/tech_database.html

Please, don't assume bulbs are good! Replace the bulbs first before doing anything else. You will not be the first person who did NOT notice driving on one headlight for a while before losing the second one.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Both headlights are a few months old and unlikely they would both go out at the same time.

Don't bet on it. Two bulbs, manufactured to the same specifications on the same assembly line, powered on the same amount of time, subjected to the same bumps and vibrations, could very well go out at about the same time.

Get out your test meter-it's not hard to remove one and test the socket to be certain. Then you'll know rather than guess.

Well, I will be xxx. That's what it was. Both low beam bulbs burned out at exactly the same time, weird.

Silvania 9005/9006 if that makes any difference. I thought I got them recently but checking the delivery date, they lasted for a year. Not sure if that is a normal time span.

Last edited:
Had an 06 equinox ,same problems.daytime running light relay was bad. Up under wheel well liner. All corroded. It knocks the supply down to 6 volts,can short out other bulbs on circuit if bad

This is incredibly valuable. I will look for that relay.

On the 06 Silverado it has to be in the fuse box.

I mean, I got 14 months out of these bulbs, it's not that bad.

Last edited:
Check for over-voltage from the charging system, that can burn out all the bulbs quickly. Also it will ruin the battery.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Please, don't assume bulbs are good! Replace the bulbs check for voltage at the bulb connectors first before doing anything else. You will not be the first person who did NOT notice driving on one headlight for a while before losing the second one.

Fixed it for you. No need to waste money replacing parts that are still perfectly fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back