loosen lugnuts with torque wrench?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If tightning torque is 80 ft/lb, can I set it to 100 to loosen it? Or should I use a different wrench (what would this be called)

Never use a Torque Wrench to loosen or "crack" a fastener.

It should ONLY be used the final 40-50 degrees rotation before the "click" is felt or heard.

Always use a breaker bar to crack the lug, and the torque wrench to set the final torque.

Otherwise, you wear out and break or loose accuracy from a precision tool.

Sending them out for recalibration is very expensive. It is more worth it to have 2 wrenches of roughly the same range to check them against each other.

NO!

Everyone else gave you good advice so far.

Torque wrenches are precision tools that are only used for tightening fasteners (although that can include tightening reverse thread fasteners if you have a torque wrench capable of doing that).

For breaking loose fasteners you should use a wrench or breaker bar. Obviously a wrench won't work on wheels, so a breaker bar, a large ratchet or lug nut wrench would be the best tools.

To tighten to 100 ft lb, can I get 25-250 ft lb wrench? I read it might be less accurate than 25-150 ft lb wrench.

I lent my torque wrench to my old neighbor many years ago to tighten some fasteners on his small old trailer. When I got it back it was damaged..... He told me he was breaking bolts with it as well as torquing things later.

I sent it in for calibration and it only works clockwise now......Lefty way no longer works.

Yes, for lugs I'd get the 25-250 ft lb. 1/2" drive torque wrench.

The reason being is you don't need massive precision, the prices aren't usually that much different, and you'll get a LONGER handle with the 25-250 torque wrench.

This gives you much greater leverage so you don't have to struggle to tighten the lug nuts.

And, because it is more in it's "range", it will take on less wear and tear as a beefier tool.

And if you bump into a friend with a small truck you can use it there too, or on axle nuts etc.

Originally Posted By: cathy
To tighten to 100 ft lb, can I get 25-250 ft lb wrench? I read it might be less accurate than 25-150 ft lb wrench.
Yes ... typically a micrometer type torque wrench will meet specified accuracy from 20% to 100% of full scale, which means a 250 lb-ft wrench should be usable down to 50 lb-ft. I use a 250 lb-ft capable torque wrench to tighten lug nuts to 80 lb-ft.

Just remember to dial down micrometer type torque wrenches to their minimum setting after use to help them maintain their accuracy.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Two important points, both equal in importance.

1) Do not use a torque wrench to loosen.

2) Do not lend a torque wrench.

3) If you get a clicker-type, always set it to the minimum setting to store it.

As far as point #2, I learned the hard way. Lent mine to a co-worker when he pulled the heads off his old pickup. Gave him very specific instructions on proper use of the torque wrench, and confirmed that he understood. Stopped by his garage that evening, and found him using it as a breaker bar, and being pretty rough with it. I took it home with me right then. Now I need to send it in for cal...just don't trust it anymore.

Originally Posted By: zrxkawboy

3) If you get a clicker-type, always set it to the minimum setting to store it.

The the exception is a split-beam torque wrench ... you can leave them set to any torque value.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cathy
If tightning torque is 80 ft/lb, can I set it to 100 to loosen it? Or should I use a different wrench (what would this be called)

You can buy a 24" 1/2" drive breaker bar at Harbor Freight Tools often for less than $10. It offers plenty of leverage and works great for loosening lug nuts. Personally, I prefer to use a 1/2" drive cordless impact wrench.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
NO!! You only tighten with a torque wrench. If you need to loosen a lug nut, use a breaker bar.

+1

I broke torque wrench ( my 1st one ) trying open up tranny plug.
You should be able to put the pug nut opener almost horizontaly and stand on it ( if needed , not recomending this ) if its too darn hard to take it off.

The smaller torque wrench is most likely 3/8" drive. The larger wrench is likely 1/2" drive. I bet you don't have a lot of 1/2" drive sockets.

The smaller one is more than likely the only one you'll need, and will work with 3/8" sockets that you most likely already have.

Unless you plan on doing brakes and things on a truck, which might require a bigger torque wrench. Then you'll have to buy a couple of sets of 1/2" drive sockets, standard and deep well.

If all you're doing is lug nuts to 80lbs, the smaller one would do just fine.

Originally Posted By: SIXSPEED
Just remember to dial down micrometer type torque wrenches to their minimum setting after use to help them maintain their accuracy.

^^^THIS as well!!
thumbsup2.gif

I am so OCD about mine that even if I am changing over/taking off all four wheels, I will dial down my SK wrench even in between each wheel removal/install in order to save the calibration!!
crazy2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back