Looking to switch oils in a BMW 330CI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been using Mobil 1 0w-40 in it since I bought it with 53,000 miles. It now has 104,000. The car takes 6.9 quarts for an oil change, and I always use Wix filters. I change routinely at about 7,000 miles even though BMW recommends 15,000 which I think is crazy.

Thinking about switching to Mobil 1 5w-30 but it doesn't meet BMW's Longlife requirements like the 0w-40.

Anybody see a problem with this? I've heard of other BMW guys using the 5W-30 with no issues. TIA.

It doesn't meet the requirements because the HTHS is much lower -- in essence it's a thinner oil.

M1 5w30 and 0w40 are priced the same...why change? 0w40 is robust and proven.

Technically, you should be using an oil with HT/HS of 3.5 cP or higher, so that excludes the M1 5w-30, but if you don't drive the car in a very spirited manner, it may not be much of an issue.

Why do you want to move away from M1 0w-40? What are you trying to accomplish?

There are a number of other BMW LL01 approved oils out there: Edge/Syntec 0w-30 (GC), BMW 5w-30, Pennzoil Ultra Euro 5w-40, Edge/Syntec 5w-40.

Originally Posted By: dparm
It doesn't meet the requirements because the HTHS is much lower -- in essence it's a thinner oil.

Nope. 5w30 is $24.00 for a 5 quart jug, 0w40 is $8.00 a quart (and going up at Autozone).

That's the only reason I'm considering switching.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
M1 0w-40 was just on sale at AZ: $30 for 5 quarts and an oil filter. Just stock up when it's on sale.

Interesting. I have two Autozones in town, neither carries the 5 quart jug.

Originally Posted By: crimedog
M1 0w-40 was just on sale at AZ: $30 for 5 quarts and an oil filter. Just stock up when it's on sale.

Interesting. I have two Autozones in town, neither carries the 5 quart jug.

I meant 5 quarts as in five 1 quart bottles.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2488901#Post2488901

Granted, the Bosch filter that's included in the promotion may not fit your M54, but you may be able to get a filter for one of your other vehicles or the store manager may be willing to substitute another filter...

Thanks Pete.

Like I stated, no reason to change other than cost. Have four vehicles and the price of oil is starting to be a pain in the budget.

Originally Posted By: dparm

Nope. 5w30 is $24.00 for a 5 quart jug, 0w40 is $8.00 a quart (and going up at Autozone).

I've been to two autozones in my town looking for the 0w40. Despite the website saying its carried, the store shelves are bare and there seems to no longer be a place for it.

If I can find it, I'll buy the 0w40, but I've been searching for a substitute lately for this reason.

Two that I found that SEEM to meet the specs are the 10w40 High Mileage and the 15w50. I'm in florida, so 10 and 15w for winter isn't a big deal for me. Check them out.

...Nope. 5w30 is $24.00 for a 5 quart jug, 0w40 is $8.00 a quart (and going up at Autozone).

Hmmm. I can't argue with your logic and it'll probably work fine. That said, I bought 32 quarts of M1 0w-40 at O'Reilly's last year for $4.99 a quart, so I'm good for quite a while yet at 7 quarts per change on my wife's car.

I think the valvoline 5w-40 High mileage oil has the BMW LL-01 spec.

I used to have this car, so I used to follow the UOA section on this engine with interest. If you look at some old UOAs I think you'll see a number of guys running Rotella 5w-40 in the same engine for at least 7.5k OCIs with very good results.

I wouldn't hesitate to run Rotella 5w-40 in this car for that distance. With a huge sump, normally aspirated and no direct injection, this car is pretty easy on oil.

Why would you want to deviate from what BMW recommends? It calls for an LL-01 oil, so use one. It doesn't have to be M1 0w40, but I do question the logic of buying a car (expensive) and then try to save a few bucks by trying to undermine the recommendations set by the manufacturer as to what to use as a lubricant. What if saving a few dollars costs you an engine?

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
What if saving a few dollars costs you an engine?

The common consumer would then blame BMW for quality issues and selling junk, even though it was their fault.

Stick to a LL-01 oil, DO NOT use M1 5w30.

Dang. They go for about $150 nowadays.

LOL. Obviously this reply was meant for a different thread. Sorry, guys.
smile.gif

The following is a UOA with 1900 miles on the BMW 5W-30 oil:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...727#Post2218727
The oil shears a good 10% immediately in service.

As has been alluded, you won't test the minimum viscosity requirement running M1 5W-30 or any other 5W-30 in you're Bimmer.
But as you mentioned it's not a long drain oil. If your cars not under warranty and you don't push the OCIs, you can use any 5W-30 synthetic with confidence, I'm sure millions of BMW owners do.

M1 0W-40 is thicker than necessary for your Bimmer but this is compensated for in part by it's high 185 VI so it's not a whole lot thicker on start-up than a light 5W-30 syn'. The thing is, this oil is so readily available and often acquired cheaply on sale it's use is really a no brainer in the States.
If you're car is not under warranty you could consider something like M1 5W-30 EP if you want to maximize the OCI assuming you can get the oil cheaply.

Go Walmart. All my local Walmarts have the 0W-40 in 5 qt jugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back