Looking for inexpensive active stereo crossover

Status
Not open for further replies.
... for home use (needs to have RCA connectors, not XLR or 1/4").

The receiver I'm currently using has no built-in crossover/bass management capabilities, and I want to prevent my small(er) bookshelf speakers from receiving all the bass frequencies.

Would something like this provide OK sound quality? I don't need audiophile grade components since this is going into my unfinished basement where acoustics are somewhat poor to begin with.

In this price range (or slightly more), is there anything better?

seems like an ok deal.

So long as you can tolerate the rather lackluster performance (cheep op amps), you'll be fine with this pyle unit.

Take care.

Q.

p.s. some subwoofer box with built-in amps actually do have built-in crossovers for you to divert your high-pass portion out to the power amp (to drive your bookshelf speakers).

Is the woofer powered? OTW, The only way to do this 1/2 non-mickey mouse is to make a simple 1 pole filter and build it into the signal interconnect shell (or line in jack) then use a separate amp for the woofer. This solution wont do you if you plan to use the sub/sat as a extension "speaker 2" option though. Though you didnt ask, I would forget using passive components to cross over below middle C.

I currently have two powered subs that are connected to line-outs of this receiver. Using the subs' speaker level connections isn't really an option.

The receiver has RCA pre-amp outs and ins. They are currently connected to each other, but I could use them to introduce an active x-over in between. In this case, I'd want everything above about 80 Hz to flow back to the receiver's line level inputs, and everything below 80 Hz to flow to the subs' line level inputs.

It goes without saying that you should run a test tune through to find the appropriate crossover. Let me know if you need to borrow any test discs or equipment.

Originally Posted By: dparm
It goes without saying that you should run a test tune through to find the appropriate crossover.

Yeah, I threw the 80 Hz out there just as an example. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back