Looking for alternative size for 245/70R17

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking for a slightly taller and wider alternative to the OEM 245/70R17's on a 17x7.5" factory aluminum rim. This is for a 2wd Silverado. I am interested in a 275/65R17. Does anyone have experience substituting these sizes or can you recommend a similar size. Changing the factory rims is not an option at this point. I'm looking for a "street attitude" appearance without greatly disturbing speedometer calibration or causing abnormal tire wear. Thanks! TLAR640

Thanks for the quick replys. Yes, they are P245/70R17's.

I have considered the P265/70R17 and found the outside diameter (31.6") is about 1 inch more than the OEM tire, depending on the brand. This affects the speedo by about 2 mph.

Does anyone have experience with Cooper Discoverer H/T tires?

Try: http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html You can play with the various sizes that might fit and it will show you the differences in the tires. Make certain the new size will fit the wheel width of your original rim (unless you're replacing your wheels, also). In my case, 255/65/16 was the nearest tire size with a nearly identical diameter (29.0 vs. 29.1), but it was for wheel widths of 7 - 9 inches and my wheels are 6.5.

Thanks, the size calculator is a very useful tool. I think I'm going with P275/65R17 on the 17x7.5 factory rim.
Now I'm considering the Toyo Open Country H/T. Unfortunately, this particular size Toyo is blackwall only, I prefer OWL. I'll just have to get over it.
If anyone has a good or bad experience with this tire, please let me know. TLAR640

Does it matter that it the speedo will be off by 2mph?

It may be hard to find a 275/65r17 in stock if you ever have to replace one b/c of a blow out or a sidewall puncture.

265/70r17 is a lot more common and will give you more choices of tire selection.

Upsizing to 265/70r17's will not "greatly disturb speedometer calibration or cause abnormal tire wear" as you stated in your post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back