Longest Syn Blend oil change and custom blending

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've been running 9,000 mile oil change intervals in a 1mzfe camry with oversized l20195 and full synthetics. I have 2 quarts syn QS 5w-30 and 3 regular green conventional. If I mix will the blend be able to handle 9,000 miles? Does synthetic mixed with the conventional just improve flow properties or does it improve durability properties as well? I know mobil's clean 7500 can do 7500 and who knows how much synthetic is actually in that but ther'll be 40 percent synthetic in my blend. Car is driven with a light foot, even mix of city and highway. Also what is the longest synthetic and conventional oil changes ever on BITOG? Thanks =)

I think the blend would do 9000 miles with no problem. The blend will improve the flow properties, and I would expect several of the durability properties also would improve over the conventional product's properties. I would run this combination for 9000 miles with no worries.

Oil analysis would be in order. The 1MZ-FE has sludge issues. Be sure to change your PCV valve frequently! The owners manual says nothing about it, which was part of the problem. It's very hard to say if it would be an issue in the engine. This falls into the nail-biting category.

grrr. i thought that was the older 1mzfes? Its an 05 camry i thought they had the problem fixed by then? Any one know? Thanks for the replies

if it`s an 05 then it is the 3mz-fe like mine. but i still dont go past the recommended 5k oci.and definitely check/replace your pcv valve.

Last edited:
nah the 3mzfe was in the se or le. i have an xle and its the 1mzfe. 99 percent sure. do you use conventional?

Originally Posted By: rangerfan24
nah the 3mzfe was in the se or le. i have an xle and its the 1mzfe. 99 percent sure. do you use conventional?

sometimes. my last run of conventional oil was pyb. now have valvoline synpower in. very smooth on the synpower.

Bump for back on topic.
"Longest Syn Blend oil change and custom blending"

Originally Posted By: mongo161
Here are some nice long 9K runs with Valvoline Durablend, 5W-30.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1247356&page=1

There are also some long runs with Castrol Synthetic Blend 5W-30.

That run was on a Honda 4 cyl, not a Toyota V6. Those Honda engines will run forever on any oil. I wouldn't be surprised if you could use Mazola oil with the 4 cyl Hondas.

Until you can substantiate longer OCIs with UOAs, I'd stick with the manufacturer recommended OCI.

Last edited:
Old Cowboy.....you need to read the title of the thread. It says post longest Syn Blend oil change and custom blending that you have seen. It does not state for each person to post their longest run with a synthetic blend.

I listed the Honda run since it is one of the longest....if not longest....that I have read on BITOG.

Originally Posted By: OldCowboy
Originally Posted By: mongo161
Here are some nice long 9K runs with Valvoline Durablend, 5W-30.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1247356&page=1

There are also some long runs with Castrol Synthetic Blend 5W-30.

That run was on a Honda 4 cyl, not a Toyota V6. Those Honda engines will run forever on any oil. I wouldn't be surprised if you could use Mazola oil with the 4 cyl Hondas.

Until you can substantiate longer OCIs with UOAs, I'd stick with the manufacturer recommended OCI.

I am running 40% QSUD with 60% QSAD in a '10 Elantra which I use as my suburban commuter . To be safe , I plan to run OCI's of 5K / 5 month . Would the QSAD do that by itself ? Most likely . I mix the QSAD in my blend as a measure of insurance against varnish and sludge which may develop from stop and go traffic , short trips and low percentage of actual interstate / highway use . Could I go longer than 5K miles on this blend ? Perhaps - but my thinking is any blend which includes dino is nearing end of life at around 5K miles and with the Elantra's 4.2 qrt. sump the oil has been beat up pretty good.

Chris, If you run this blend all of the time, IMO, it would be very good to do a UOA to see if the blend can do more miles.

IMO...the Dino is fortified with the synthetic and should last quite a bit longer than 5K.....even with severe driving.

But the only way to know for sure is to have a UOA done on your personal vehicle. It might be worth the price of the UOA if you run this "Blend" all of the time.

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
I am running 40% QSUD with 60% QSAD in a '10 Elantra which I use as my suburban commuter . To be safe , I plan to run OCI's of 5K / 5 month . Would the QSAD do that by itself ? Most likely . I mix the QSAD in my blend as a measure of insurance against varnish and sludge which may develop from stop and go traffic , short trips and low percentage of actual interstate / highway use . Could I go longer than 5K miles on this blend ? Perhaps - but my thinking is any blend which includes dino is nearing end of life at around 5K miles and with the Elantra's 4.2 qrt. sump the oil has been beat up pretty good.

Thanks Mongo - I have another year worth of oil changes with this blend then I plan to switch to PP, M1 or QSUD and go 6K / 6month OCI's.

A bit apples-n-oranges... but I run 7.5 to 8K+ changes out to about 18 months on 4 qts. Castrol GTX and 1 qt Syntec in a '00 Accord 3.0L V6. Gradually stretched it out to about 8K and UOA'ed (look though my old posts for the UOAs). I have oil enough stashed for about two more OCs before I switch to another oil and will likely end it at about a 9K interval. Operating conditions are everything, and this car has an ideal one. Plus, it's a Honda V6, which is an engine that is very kind to oil.

I'm still under the 100K / 10 year Hyundai plan , so for me severe service is 3750 and normal is 7000 miles for OCI's .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back