Longer Combination Wrenches (who wouldn’t want one?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Kawiguy454
Am i the only one that has ever used a second box end as a cheater bar? You put the first box end on the fastener and the second box end goes on the open end of the first wrench making it roughly twice as long. Cmon Bitog guys tell me you all know this old trick? Recommend you use craftsman for this as the cheaper ones the open end can snap

Yeah, after years of muddling around as a semi-competent amateur mechanic, I figured out that second-wrench trick. I use it from time to time, but it's a pain to pull off it you're working in tight quarters.

Originally Posted By: Ducked
Sometimes you can put a bottle jack under the end of the spanner (that's English for "wrench")

Not very often, but it can be a life saver.

It can also, of course, be a life threatener, if anything suddenly gives, or if the axle stands are a wee bit unstable.

I used a Taiwanese mini floor jack for 20 yrs. More than once it had a wrench handle in its cup. " give me a lever and place to stand..."

As in all make do work a rounds, the more rules you bend, the more dangerous it gets.

Several years ago I needed a long reach wrench for one bolt, so I bought a cheap wrench and cut it into, then added an extension. It worked great, but I don't think I have used it since.

Any pro mechanic will have multiple wrench lengths.

I have a theory that mechanics that love and always reach for long wrenches first, are working under lifts.

True, a comprehensive set of long pattern and short pattern wrenches is the norm along with special ones like double ring, starter, etc.

Originally Posted by Kawiguy454
Am i the only one that has ever used a second box end as a cheater bar? You put the first box end on the fastener and the second box end goes on the open end of the first wrench making it roughly twice as long. Cmon Bitog guys tell me you all know this old trick? Recommend you use craftsman for this as the cheaper ones the open end can snap

I am not saying I don't do it but it is a good way to get yourself hurt. Lots of people bust knuckles and faces doing it.

I hammer my own chromes with a 3 lb sledge. Doesn't ding them up too badly.

For bigger stuff at work, where space is tight, I've been known to run a "slugging wrench" and heavier hammer. It's as medieval an experience as it looks.

[Linked Image]

Something strange in the last 10 years has happened
tools that were cheap, common and off the shelf no longer exist and must be custom fabbed.

It used to be you could buy very long wrenches, we still have one set left at work, says super wrench on them, some are almost 3x as long as regular

Same thing with solid lug wrenches, used to find them in every trunk but now impossible to buy anything without a pivoting square drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back