Little disappointed in PP last Oil Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not going to send my oil in but was kinda suprised by my last change. I had always used M1 with a M1 filter for my outlook and oil changes went between 5-10k. my last 2 changes have been PP and the first one went 6k and you could just tell by it that he had more time left. I had just recently did the wife at 5k change(same deal PP with M1 filter)and at 5K the oil def. had some time left. still light brown and thick as sh**. I changed mine today in the outlook due to a long trip and at about the same mileage 5-6k, the oil was pitch black and thin as [censored]. i couldnt believe it wore down so fast. even compared to my last change with the same oil

Why did it change? Are you having a fuel dilution issue? Is your PVC valve going out? Perhaps a difference between Summer and Winter gas? Maybe a difference in driving conditions or style?

The inconvenient truth is that a lack of real science leads to a fancy guessing game.

pitch black would mean your running diesel or something.... or you have coolant issues normal conditions would oxidate the oil and turn it brown not black.. black would be very bad aka sludge or heavy levels of soot but this would typically be in diesel turning black..

the outlook from what i have read does not have a PVC valve. Gas mileage has been in the [censored] the last 2 tanks so it would have something to do with a winter blend but i didnt think they used them here in Charlotte I may be off with the pitch black, could be a very dark brown

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SuperDave456
Why did it change? Are you having a fuel dilution issue? Is your PVC valve going out? Perhaps a difference between Summer and Winter gas? Maybe a difference in driving conditions or style?

The inconvenient truth is that a lack of real science leads to a fancy guessing game.

I agree. This probably has little to do with the oil and more to do with other factors-worthy of investigation IMO.

color means nothing, but if it is truly thickening (did you change it hot or cold?), then Id be looking for something else going wrong. Even a dino shouldnt be showing severe (noticable) thickening in 5k.

Saturn Outlook. the oil wasnt thicking, it was very thin and the oil was warm

compnurd:

with all due respect, unless you have had a UOA performed on your last oil change, it is unlikely you know what the TBN is, and thus whether or not it "wore down fast."

Did you refill with PP?

If so, consider having a UOA performed on your next 6k mile oil change, to include a TBN. If you really want an in-depth analysis (and you will pay for it), try Dyson Analysis. If you "just want the numbers," try Blackstone.

Be certain the oil is at normal operating temperature (coolant temp has nothing to do with oil temp, in most cases) and you do not have a lot of idling occurring just before you draw the sample.

Do you normally use an M-1 oil filter for 5-6k mile oil changes?

Yes i always use the M1 Filter for those changes. I usually get it on a deal, otherwise i would use like a pureone. Yes I did refill with PP

I had the same isssue when I tried PP in the Jetta. The oil came out very thin and it was black. It never did this with the Rotella I had been using previously. Stopped using PP right then and there. Switched back to my old standby-Rotella Syn 5W40 and all is good again. There's something with the way PP "wears out" in an engine.

Originally Posted By: compnurd
Saturn Outlook. the oil wasnt thicking, it was very thin and the oil was warm

Checking the oil when cold and rubbing between your fingers, it will seem thick and slippery, maybe even a bit tacky. Checking the oil when warm will give a less effect. It will seem a bit thin between the fingers. And when the oil is HOT, it will even feel watery.

i will see what happens with this change with PP. if i dont like it again i will just stick to M1. The PP runs great in the wifes car and ran great in the first change here. It could have been other factors. will see how it goes. just wanted to vent guys, thanks for listening

If this is a spec'd grade for a non- "special needs" engine, then one oil is about as good as another unless you're putting extreme demands on it or (same thing) are in some unique service where some distinction could emerge. PP is as good as any other in unremarkable service along OEM recommendations. It's a fine product that owes much of its acceptance to its price point in comparison to its competitors.

You might want to look at the UOAs in that section of BITOG for the engine in your Outlook (assuming it is the GM 3.6L). You might be surprised as to how that engine beats up oil in somewaht short order.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back