Liqui Moly Mos2 additive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
Originally Posted By: yesthatsteve
With the steep price increase of the Lubro Moly product, is there any downside to using super fine (~1.5 micron) MOS2 powder mixed into the oil at each OCI? Depending on the concentration you want, and what's already in the oil, you would probably use between 1/5 gram and 1/2 gram of powder per quart of oil.

You can buy a pound for about $50 from a wholesale supplier, and 6 oz. for less than $30 from a shooting supply store.

I'm genuinely curious to hear others' thoughts on this.

I spent several hours yesterday scouring sporting goods stores for powdered moly for just this purpose, but was completely unable to find some. I did find some on eBay pretty inexpensively at roughly $18 shipped for 4oz of ultra fine 98.8% pure powder. I want to use it in some gear oil, so I plan to mix a tablespoon of it into a quart of 75w-140 to see if it will settle out or stay in suspension. If it stays mixed for at least a couple of days, I intend to use some in my rear differential, as well as my power transfer unit. I will also use it for an inexpensive replacement for Lubro Moly MoS2 because of its insane price increase.

Google Rosemill Industries. While its not cheap you can buy ultra fine grade moly which won't get trapped by an oil filter, sold by the pound. I bought it for coating bullets and have also mixed it with MMO or oil for treating engines. I bought it long before the popularity of LM MoS2 on this board, I'm pretty sure its gone up in price, but might still be worth it for you. HTH

I just checked - Rosemill has a pound of 1.5-micron moly powder for $48.50 plus shipping.

I found 6 ounces of Lyman Super Moly "Superfine" (1.5 micron) powder at the Lyman Products web site for $24 plus shipping.

Back of the envelope calculations get me 600 ppm of moly with about 0.5g of MOS2 powder per quart of oil, if the oil has no moly in its add pack. For my applications, that's a shade less than 2g per OCI in the xB and about 2.2g in the wife's Ody.

I don't shoot, and I won't use more than about 2.2g per OCI in my current vehicles. So, 6 oz is enough to last me about 17 years, assuming similar sump sizes in future vehicles. A pound would last me almost 45 years, and I doubt I'll do my own oil changes when I'm 89. I think I'll pay the additional dollar an ounce for a quantity I'm more likely to use.

Lyman on order.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
I wonder if ms02 has anything to keep it in suspension, or is it simply fine ms02 added to plain oil?

Bingo... You win. Oh yea, Mos2 also has boron in it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
Originally Posted By: yesthatsteve
With the steep price increase of the Lubro Moly product, is there any downside to using super fine (~1.5 micron) MOS2 powder mixed into the oil at each OCI? Depending on the concentration you want, and what's already in the oil, you would probably use between 1/5 gram and 1/2 gram of powder per quart of oil.

You can buy a pound for about $50 from a wholesale supplier, and 6 oz. for less than $30 from a shooting supply store.

I'm genuinely curious to hear others' thoughts on this.

I spent several hours yesterday scouring sporting goods stores for powdered moly for just this purpose, but was completely unable to find some. I did find some on eBay pretty inexpensively at roughly $18 shipped for 4oz of ultra fine 98.8% pure powder. I want to use it in some gear oil, so I plan to mix a tablespoon of it into a quart of 75w-140 to see if it will settle out or stay in suspension. If it stays mixed for at least a couple of days, I intend to use some in my rear differential, as well as my power transfer unit. I will also use it for an inexpensive replacement for Lubro Moly MoS2 because of its insane price increase.

Google Rosemill Industries. While its not cheap you can buy ultra fine grade moly which won't get trapped by an oil filter, sold by the pound. I bought it for coating bullets and have also mixed it with MMO or oil for treating engines. I bought it long before the popularity of LM MoS2 on this board, I'm pretty sure its gone up in price, but might still be worth it for you. HTH

I didn't want to buy a whole pound as I would waste it using it to lubricate everything in sight, and it was significantly more money than I wanted to spend on this experiment. Always an option in the future.

I was happy with MoS2 in the two cars I used it in. No more valvetrain noise in the 3.1L Buick. Wife's '06 Golf got improved gas mileage in town, a bit more zip, and easier cold starts.

The priced doubled at Napa. It use to be $4.xx, but today I went in the store and they wanted $8.xx. Online price is $6.xx

I knew I should have bought more last month

Last edited:
My question is will adding the rosemill powder be as good a product as the lubromoly. i know the ultrafine would be the correct type, but will it stay in suspension as well as the lubromoly?

Originally Posted By: spasm3
My question is will adding the rosemill powder be as good a product as the lubromoly. i know the ultrafine would be the correct type, but will it stay in suspension as well as the lubromoly?

My opinion is that it will stay in suspension. Modern oil has dispersants that keep contaminants and the additives in suspension.

I mixed some Break Free gun oil with motor oil at 4:1 ratio, and the Teflon stayed in suspension for several months. The Teflon usually falls out of suspension within 5 minutes if it is straight Break Free.

Hi Guys.
Today i have changed my Elantra's engine oil and filter.(With Castrol Edge OE-X 5w-30)
Didn't add LM Mos2 feel the deference straight away.(Lacking power)
I am thinking of trying LM motor protect stuff instead of LM Mos2 additive.

Originally Posted By: toyota62
Hi Guys.
Today i have changed my Elantra's engine oil and filter.(With Castrol Edge OE-X 5w-30)
Didn't add LM Mos2 feel the deference straight away.(Lacking power)
I am thinking of trying LM motor protect stuff instead of LM Mos2 additive.
Try Ceratec, it should hold on for 30k miles. Motor Protect is(old) father of Ceratec. Can be found for around $30

Ceratec hard to find in Australia.Mos2 and Motor protect are the only two engine oil additives selling here by LM australia.

Didn't notice Australia in your profile, well then go for it. They recommend to use flush before using Engine Protect.
It is called "Engine Detox" in Australia, I had one delivered from Australia.
So this OCI just add MoS2, Engine flush in the end, then Motor Protect

So, toyota62, for your elantra you 'didnt' add MoS2, and are associating a lack of power to not using MoS2?

Just to be clear. I'm just not sure how that is possible, really.

^ butt dyno
smile.gif
MoS2 should be more noticeable in small engines, like Hyundai has
smile.gif

Acceleration lot more smoother and lot more quicker with Mos2.Much higher cold start RPM normally 1200-1500RPM with Mos2 goes and sitting at 1800-200RPM.

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
So, toyota62, for your elantra you 'didnt' add MoS2, and are associating a lack of power to not using MoS2?

Just to be clear. I'm just not sure how that is possible, really.

Lacking power mean not as much as power with Mos2 stuff.100% sure Mos2 stuff make car goes better.That's why Hyundai hybrid vehicles have Mos2 coated pistons.

Engine

Powered by an LPI Gamma engine displacing 1.6 liters, a 15kW (105 Nm) electric motor and a Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT), the Elantra LPI HEV is a mild–type hybrid capable with a fuel economy rating of 17.2km/l (or gasoline equivalent of 21.5km/l): This represents a 41.4 percent improvement over a conventional 1.6L auto-equipped Elantra.

For improved thermal efficiency, the Atkinson cycle is employed and the compression ratio has been increased from 10.5 to 12.0. To increase mechanical efficiency, the valve spring load and piston ring tension were reduced. Further reductions in friction were achieved by coating the tappets with a Diamond-like Carbon (DLC) coating and adding a Molybdenum Disulfide (MoS2) coating to the piston skirt. Also, Continuously Variable Valve Timing (CVVT) was applied on the intake camshaft and an Electronic Throttle Control was adopted.

http://worldwide.hyundai.com/company-ove...archWord=search

Originally Posted By: zyxelenator
^ butt dyno
smile.gif
MoS2 should be more noticeable in small engines, like Hyundai has
smile.gif

Not only 2.0L small engine in my Elantra, even V6 camry and V6 Honda accord both goes much better with Mos2.

Reviving the thread...

I tried the Lubro-Moly MoS2 in my BMW E39 528i with M52TU engine (2.8L I6). Same engine, same driving style and conditions.

UOA results showed the following:

Sample 1: Mobil 1 0W-40, 4068 mi
Sample 2: Mobil 1 15W-50, 3800 mi + 1 300ml bottle Lubro-Moly MoS2

Moly increased from 84 to 198
Iron reduced from 16 to 12
Copper reduced from 12 to 8
Lead reduced from 5 to 1

Note: Sample 1 showed slightly higher Zinc 1006 vs. 956 and slightly lower Phosphorous 851 vs 869. I don't think this is significant but I'm mentioning it.

Based on my experience, the Lubro-Moly MoS2 is effective. The newer OEM BMW engine oils are testing at around 125 ppm Molybdenum. It seems to me that this would be a good level to shoot for (by supplementing whatever oil you use with the MoS2 to get to 125 ppm).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back