Linseed oil and Tung

Historically I've used BLO on various wood tool handles with the expected results. A few months back started using some raw linseed oil on some... with the expected results. No complaints. Wondering if anybody has ever used tung oil after linseed oil? Not so much as an additional coat or anything, just to switch to it in the future without refinishing....

Historically I've used BLO on various wood tool handles with the expected results. A few months back started using some raw linseed oil on some... with the expected results. No complaints. Wondering if anybody has ever used tung oil after linseed oil? Not so much as an additional coat or anything, just to switch to it in the future without refinishing....
Tung oil was dumped many decades ago by our military because a high percentage of people are allergic to it

Linseed oil vs Danish oil vs polyurthane.

Last year I sanded all the factory finish off my garden tools and applied linseed oil to them.
I mixed in some dark walnut stain.
They look nice hanging on the garage wall.
It's recommended to oil them once a year (just plain linseed oil/no stain).
There are a lot of videos on YouTube showing the use of linseed oil. It's a cult following.

Most people figure if you dig in the dirt, leave them dirty and stored outside.

We always used raw linseed oil. That was the wintertime ritual. All the handles got treated and left to dry until it was time to use them. The spot where the handle was inserted into the shovel end as an example got extra treatment.

Add to the mess: I've found a coat of pure BLO then multiple coats of a light BLO, Pure Tung (has to be real Tung) mixed with a satin poly and rubbed in with a white scotchbrite pad to produce a great sheen. Key is the time between coats to dry and many coats!

Pure Tung oil is superior to Linseed oils. It actually creates a water resistant coating and does not darken over time. It also does not sweat after being warmed up. In 1943 during WW2 the ordinance department dropped Linseed oil in favor for Tung oil for wooden stocks. Here is my favorite vendor below. Good Luck!

But does anybody know if originally linseed treated can be re-treated with tung down the road or if they are incompatible?

But does anybody know if originally linseed treated can be re-treated with tung down the road or if they are incompatible?
I've used both on the same item. No issues, but................

Down the road may mean several years with linseed completely penetrated.

May want to lightly sand or use steel wool.

As mentioned, real tung.

Just my 2 cents, I'm not a professional.
I'd say, YES, you can put tung oil over BLO.
But, looks to me that once you use tung oil, a future coating of BLO may not penetrate.

For garden tools (kept inside garage), I prefer BLO / reapplied yearly.
If I made a hardwood cabinet for inside the house, I'd look at the tung oil.

Copied from above link.

Tung Oil​

Tung oil is water resistant, preventing water molecules from seeping into the wood's grain. This is due to the curing process, during which the tung oil reacts with the oxygen in the air to form a hard protective barrier on the outside of the wood.

Linseed Oil​

Linseed oil has much less water resistance than tung oil. While the oil is hydrophobic (like all oils), it is susceptible to water damage. This means that it may slightly protect the wood beneath from spills and water exposure, but the finish itself can be damaged as a result.

Last edited:
I've worked on many vintage military rifle stocks with Tung oil. It's perfectly fine to use Tung over BLO. Here's what I recommend. Use a rag with mineral spirits and soak the piece. Then use #0000 steel wool and scrub it lightly. Then wipe clean with mineral spirits. As far as tung oil first few coats should be diluted slightly with mineral spirits to penetrate the wood. Tung oil is very easy to apply. With a brush, rag, or bare hands rub the oil in a generous coat. Let it sit 45 min then with a clean rag wipe off all the excess. Repeat this process 2-3 times a day until the wood won't absorb anymore. Then after that do this process once a day for a week or so. In-between coats after cleaning it off it's important to check on the piece a couple times a day to clean up any excess oil that sweats out and wipe it off. This step is crucial as any excess that isn't wiped in-between coats will screw up the coats. Finally when your satisfied with your coats it take roughly 3-4 weeks for Tung oil to fully harden and seal. Although after a week it will be pretty much dried to touch but NOT cured. Good Luck.

Back