like some of you, linux is a curiocity of mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
the last linux distro i used was mandrake 8.1? i dont quite remember but it was atleast 5 years ago.
back then linux still had ALOT to be desired. you could get lost just configuring the operating system at the installation, nevermind the hard drive(s). it seemed like linux gave you too many options. yeah that sounds funny but why would one need to choose between 5 boot loaders?

then there was the package dependencys. want to run some program, like microsoft messenger? you sure could but you had to install other programmes just to run messenger. and some of those other programmes required yet more programmes. this "software dependency" thing that was going on really put off alot of new users, like me. in windows, if a programme requires extra programmes or plugins, they are almost awalys included in the original installation and they integrate seamlessly. i cant tell you how long it took me to hunt down all the things i needed to get gaim running. and you want to watch a dvd or play an mp3? forget it. the complexity made the hassle not worth it back then.

well fast foreward to 2007. im on fedora core 6 typing this to you guys. first time ive been on a linux box in this millenium. and ive got gaim configured. i have firefox running with a flash plugin (i could never get flash to work years ago). im going to takle java in a little while.

well see how this goes. the only thing thats bothering me is my dual widescreren display. currently its got both 19 inch wide screen lcd's as the same display, instead of a single stretched decktop across both monitors. i hope this isnt going to be alot of trouble.

ill update you guys tomorrow.

I don't want to hijack your weekend project, but Ubuntu and Automatix is the easiest way to get a linux desktop going; You just "install it" with 4 clicks. Ubuntu is the base distribution, Automatix is an gui tool that installs NVIDIA drivers, java, flash, Googleearth, Win codecs (if you want them) etc. Dependencies are resolved by the package manager. Community support is moderated and excellent for beginners. No RTFM responses are allowed.

http://www.ubuntu.com/
http://getautomatix.com/

Last edited:
For simplicity's sake, I agree with s_g 100%

I dig SuSE 10.2. Do a full-boat installation at first installation and you'll never look back. The PackMan dvd & audio updates for SuSE include all the dependency stuff. Not as point-n-click easy as s_g's suggestion though.

I'm not a Fedora or Redhat fan. Mainly, because of their lack of wireless support. And all the extras seem more difficult to obtain. I believe nvidia driver installs are still a pain too. But, if you are more into getting your feet wet with the command line and learning "real"linux, these are good distros as is Slackware.

I'm typing this from PclinuxOS. Based on Mandriva with all the goodies readily available(via synaptic, which is a superb software manager) or already installed. Wireless support is superb. New version 2007 will be available soon.

Mepis, Kanotix, and Elive are great stuff too.

so far ive updated fedora, updated firefox, installed some mp3 plugins, got gaim running and my printer working.
i also fixed my dual head display.

man ive been trying to install vlc for a few hours now. im starting to remember why i deleted linux and bought the $200 windows xp cd. in windows if you want to install vlc you download the exe and double click it and follow the few prompts. then vlc runs. installation takes all of about 14 seconds and you dont even use the keyboard.

in linux ive been trying to build some sort of repository, i dont even know what it does but apparently its required to install vlc. ive been working on this for some hours now, ive tried a couple different methods and it isnt working for me.

if i could just get vlc working and a few other apps i wouldnt even need windows anymore.

I sometimes use Ubuntu to boot from a CD ROM. It's mainly done to back up important files from the C: drive when Windows c raps out and needs to be reinstalled.

vlc 0.8.4 is part of the default ubuntu 6.10 install;

Fedora is not a distro for the masses; it is for a business desktop.

Last edited:
i finally got it working. i got everything working.

the only proglem now is the fact that i cant find ANY gui based apps which can convert a divx avi video file to dvd format. (and burn it to dvd would be nice too)

like nero recode does for windows.

cheers2.gif
Nice job!

I'm currently running Fedora Core 6 on my Athlon 64 machine and am quite happy with it; I also have the same installed on my laptop PC but, yes, the wireless network issue is an issue. Additionally, I recently assembled a Linux server which runs the open-source Koha Integrated Library System software on Fedora Core 5 (Core 6 would not run- Gentoo Linux almost ran- BIOS issues with the motherboard).

Linux, IMO, is much closer to being "for the masses" than it was just a couple of years ago. However, there are still a (rather small) number of things where you have to roll up your sleeves and be willing to get dirty, so to speak.

It is free and ROCK STABLE. One can leave a machine running for weeks on end without needing a single reboot- a virtual impossibility with WinXP, etc. (though NT 4 was very good for me stability-wise). It is a downright fun operating system to play with if you like hacking your PC, too ("hacking" is being used here in the traditional, positive Linux sense).

Linux is well worth jumping any installation hurdles that may be encountered.

Had Mandriva on a several-year old laptop. Wireless networking worked great. Even had samba shares to windows and had it printserving. Only draws about 15 watts idling with the screen shut off.

Software support for my goofy lacrosse weatherstation killed it. Am now running XP so I can track weather data. Am running Apache on it though.
smile.gif

Linux was just the kick in the pants that old laptop needed. Made it a great tv-watching occasional surfing companion.

Seems like Wireless is a pain in the butt to get working on some distros. I couldn't get it working within Ubuntu since it wouldn't recognize my wireless adapter.

I talked to our Linux genius at work and he pretty much confirmed that they have some work to do in that area.

i went back to windows vista.
l;inux wasnt able to correctly support my video card and dual 19 inch lcd widescreen monitors.

everything else about it was graet, but i paid a good sum of money for my dual display and it IS going to work.

if they ever get around to supporting my ati radeon video card that has hookups for 2 monitors, i might.

maybe in a few years when this computer is old and useless i may build a new one and use an nvidia card which is suppose to have better support in linux compared to ati.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back