Lighter oils, lower zinc, et al

Status
Not open for further replies.
The AutoZone/Advanced(which is it?) in front of Walmart on Cin-day Road by the I75 ramps north of Cincinnati sells it, I have bought it many times (Torco).

Originally Posted By: JaseD
As far as I know Torco is really good stuff though, they make some lower priced oils as well but even they're not cheap for a daily driver.

Yes, they also make an SR-1, which if I remember correctly has less (if any) PAO/POE basestock content, as well as a less stout anti-wear/anti-friction add pack.
The SR-5 add pack has SKY HIGH, catcon DESTROYING; moly, ZDDP, and (I think?) boron levels, as well as high percentage group 4/5 basestock content.

Originally Posted By: nleksan
The AutoZone/Advanced(which is it?) in front of Walmart on Cin-day Road by the I75 ramps north of Cincinnati sells it, I have bought it many times (Torco).

SR-5 or their SR-1??

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Who would be ignorant enough to run OTC street oils in highly modified or racing engines?

This guy is not enough of a chemist to know there are other unseen AW additives besides ZDDP.

Sounds like an endorsement for Pennrite to me.

Line at the bottom of P2 says that the information was provided by Penrite...so a sort of advertorial of sorts.

Which is weird that they only focused on the zinc, as the Penrite signature ad pack for the racing oils is

2960 ppm Ca
630 ppm B
100ppm Mo
1760ppm Zn

The point is often made here that our beloved oil analyses are indicators only and only evaluating the oil in practice yields the "truth" such as it is. The gist of Kojima's article is about the transition of addpacks into this new fuel economy and catalytic regime. And the fact that, in retrospection, since that time engine builders like himself and others are seeing more oil related failures caused by increased wear.

He references Zinc too much I agree but it's just an indicator to him. Something is afoot with regard to failures and they are groping to understand why. To me it sounded a bit analogous to the sometimes troublesome transition to the various syns in the early 70's until they got their formulations down. With the myriad variations we are seeing in the oils of this new generation/regime/requirement, call it what you will, it appears to me that there is a whole lot of Beta testing going on. We ain't there yet in this lower zinc/lower phosphate world.

Mole is right, the guy is no chemist. He is an extremely talented racer/engineer/engine builder and knows that something is up with his lubrication. He is shilling no more for Pennrite in his Land Speed Race Car than Koenigsegg was for Castrol. Neither, in my estimation, would find it appropriate to outright lie about the products they are partnered with or completely sell out. Not happening.

Having been in competitive engineering marketing all my life I have learned to look through the [censored] to see if there is something to be gleaned there or not. Succumbing to the immediate knee-jerk temptation to diss information without a close look even when the source is unknown to you is poor intelligence analysis and you will miss ideas you might have benefited from. Vacuum all the data up and then sort and grind it, there will be plenty of time to call [censored] if indeed that's all it is. You can't do that in the first five seconds. Just my little bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back