Light surface rust on trailer

I have a 2020 LoadRite boat trailer and the top of the trailer jack and the locking handle of the hitch are both orange with surface rust. They came new galvanized. It's almost like the galvanizing process was substandard in areas.

Most of the other galvanized parts are fine. The trailer frame is aluminum.

The trailer has never been submersed to launch a boat and is kept outside at a marina that is a mile or two from the Delaware Bay.

I have some cold galvanizing spray somewhere on a shelf.

Id scrub it with ospho and maybe a stainless brush or scotchbrite if youre lucky. Then paint it, cold galvanize (which is typically pretty soft and so not necessarily the best IMO), etc. Then coat it with a rust preventative (lanolin, wax, etc.).

I’ve had very good luck with cold galvanizing spray. I think surface prep is the key. Follow the instructions and it’ll be better than new IMO.

Id scrub it with ospho and maybe a stainless brush or scotchbrite if youre lucky. Then paint it, cold galvanize (which is typically pretty soft and so not necessarily the best IMO), etc. Then coat it with a rust preventative (lanolin, wax, etc.).
One piece that is rusting is the handle that I need to use to lock the hitch to the ball or release it. Not sure I want a rust preventative product on it. Get on my hands and wear off.

One piece that is rusting is the handle that I need to use to lock the hitch to the ball or release it. Not sure I want a rust preventative product on it. Get on my hands and wear off.
Sure that makes sense. Believe that bolts on with the female receptacle. I’d replace it if it bothers you that much.

I think cold zinc which is pretty soft, will also come off. I’d probably spray it black with Eastwood rust encapsulator.

Back