Lever style electrical receptacles and switches

I'm constantly rethinking my work; I guess that's my personality.

I'd originally cut out a soldered connection in a box and reconnected with 3-port WAGO 221. I believe the insulator was slid over for the solder joint (leaving a couple of inches of bare wire) and the other wire wrapped around and then taped. At the time I didn't think I had enough room for wire nuts. After looking it over again there was probably enough room to try, and there was also a bit of solder still left on the ends. Still - 3 12 AWG wires are still kind of hard to get into one red wire nut (the biggest I have), especially if it doesn't extend too far out the box. I wasn't going to twist since it typically requires trimming more wire for any rework. The worst thing was that the wire spring deforms/shortens on tightening, so if one wire didn't get in (but the other wires were tightenend) there it's either harder the next time or it needs a new nut.

I guess lever connectors have their place if there's really no room, but I'm rethinking using them that often. I am using a bunch of 2-port Ideal L2s as quick disconnects, but that's not to bridge downstream power. I'd have to really have to have almost nothing to work with if I were going to use a lever connector for that kind of connection again.

Back