Let's make a list of the 10 worst GM cars ever

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

I have to say I don't recall much about the Quad 4, other than it was supposed to be the 'Small Block of the 90's'.
It must have been a high winding engine to put out 200 hp
But I only recall hearing of it in Largish, unsporting cars.
I remember someone once lamenting that it was never put in the Fiero. Why?

yeah 190hp at 6500 rpm! they were in the compacts that olds and pontiac put out at the time.

Quote:

BTW, anyone heard of the Cosworth? That was way ahead of it's time.

Cosworth Vega:
110 hp, 0-60 12.3sec, 1/4 mile 18.5, Top Speed 112mph.
Marketing Slogan : "One Vega for the price of Two"
Who could resisit that!!
crushedcar.gif

The problem for GM is they Could/Can make a very good car, but it would proberbly only be recognized as 'good' perhaps 10 years after it's release. A Bad car not only get recognition straight away, it stays in our memory longer!
It seems we well remember the Vega, That was 30 years ago!

The 2 liter Cosworth engine was on the drawing boards as early as 71. It featured an all aluminum block and DOHC head with 4 valves per cylinder in a pentroof chamber, electronic fuel injection, and a stainless steel header among other things. These are features you find in engines today.

The prototype made 130+ horsepower but GM couldn't get it past emissions and the car itself was heavy. With emissions choking it down to 110 hp and a fat car, it was a slug. To bad technology wasn't available back then to get this engine up to it's potential in production trim. Competition versions of this engine with a HD block made 300 naturally aspirated horsepower at 9000 rpm. The one in the picture was built for reliability and 'only' made 270 horsepower @ 8700 rpm. http://www.race-cars.com/engsold/cosworth/1165985049/1165985049ss.htm

1165985049wc.jpg

Didn't those Cosworths have a lot of trouble with block / head warping? I think it was the techs in the GM garage where I worked that said they could actually watch one of those engines warp out of shape and blow head gaskets while idling in the shop. Something to do with bad casting processes and inconsistent heating / cooling.

I had a 78 Monza. No prize winnner in the ergonomics department and it was SO nose heavy. Understeered like a pig and I was always hitting the bump stops on the front suspension, even after new front shocks were installed. But, I think it was a better car than a Vega. It did have a very solid, heavy feel to it even though it had a lot of rough edges. I cut my teeth as a detailer on this car. Paint was badly oxidized, engine compartment filthy and tires bald when I bought it in 1986 for $1100. Sold it in 1988, shining like a new penny for $1400. Unfortunately I still suffered a loss since I put in a new clutch, brake master cylinder, lifters, heater core, radiator, tires, stereo and countless hours of my time rubbing out the paint. Very dependable car until the temperature dropped below -10. It had to go when I fell in love with a spicy red 86 Civic Si. Vroooom

A friend of a friend had a later model Sunbird, my buddy was having a hard time trying to replace his Buddies Dash instrument lights and asked if I knew anything. I had a look and was at a loss as to how to get behind the Dash. In the end we all went to the GM service counter, we discovered you had to remove the windshield and destroy the Dash pad ($500 Can) just to get at the lights. The car was sold the following September, un-fixed.

Quote:

A friend of a friend had a later model Sunbird, .... we discovered you had to remove the windshield and destroy the Dash pad ($500 Can) just to get at the lights.

An H-body or a J-body Sunbird?

The instrument cluster is easily removed on the J-bodys.

I always laughed at the chevy Sprint, the 3 cylinder heap. And dont forget for the racing people the Turbo Sprint.

Quote:

I always laughed at the chevy Sprint, the 3 cylinder heap. And dont forget for the racing people the Turbo Sprint.

H body was a heap, the Sprint was a basic small car that many people ran the ---- out of for over 150,000 miles with no problems. It was one of the best sub-sub-compacts made.

Quote:

Quote:

How about the late 70's Chevy Monza and it's twin, the Pontiac Sunturd?

crushedcar.gif

Those would definitely be contenders...

Let's not forget the OTHER badge-engineered monza clone: The Buick Skyhawk.

Quote:

I had a 78 Monza. No prize winnner in the ergonomics department and it was SO nose heavy. Understeered like a pig and I was always hitting the bump stops on the front suspension, even after new front shocks were installed. But, I think it was a better car than a Vega. It did have a very solid, heavy feel to it even though it had a lot of rough edges. I cut my teeth as a detailer on this car.

Ditto on all that with my 1976 Buick skyhawk. It handled like a lawnmower, had no traction on the rear, and was ugly as sin. But I will say that for a mid-70's econobox, the wierd 3.8L oddfire engine ran good- despite sounding like a V8 with a bad miss... 'cause that's exactly what it was. It came out with an early version of the T-5 transmission, which I THINK (somebody correct me if I'm wrong) was only available in the Buick version of this awful little car. I will say, though, that the thing got 28mpg... which was impressive all things considered.

I got rid of it when a control arm mount for the rear axle rusted off.

Quote:

Quote:

A friend of a friend had a later model Sunbird, .... we discovered you had to remove the windshield and destroy the Dash pad ($500 Can) just to get at the lights.

An H-body or a J-body Sunbird?

The instrument cluster is easily removed on the J-bodys.

Sorry I don't recall, I guess it was early 90's, The Dash cluster was marked 'Vauxhall' I guess it was borrowed from GM's U.K. subsidiary.

J bodies like the pontiac 6000 and buick century. Driving in my friends old entury was like russian roulette, because it had a tendancy to cut off suring crucial moments like left turns!! the acadian/chevette is in it's own category.

The Sprint was, of course, a Suzuki, just like the Metro that replaced it. They were quite good cars for 150K or so of almost no fuel cost motoring.
I know of one Metro (driven by someone with whom I work, who has a really long commute) with well over 220K, still driven every day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back