Least stinky TCW-3

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
I once bought a gallon of supertech TCW-3 (sealed). It stunk, stunk like half-burned diesel fuel. Yuck.

Pennzoil is much better but still has some of that odor.

I dont recall if Amsoil Saber 100:1 TCW-3 has any odor at all. It may not.

Opened a bottle of Texaco TCW-3, and it had zero odor.

Since I like to keep a bottle in my car as part of my additive rotation, it is nice to have a TCW-3 that doesnt stink.

Anyone know of others? My biggest issue is finding the Texaco stuff where it doesnt cost an arm and a leg.

The two types of detergents/dispersants most commonly used in 2-stoke oil formations are Ashless and Low Ash. Medium Ash and High Ash detergents are not used in 2-stoke oils. Ashless detergents are used in low temperature applications such as TCW3 oils where the ring land temperature is held below 300 deg/f. Ashless detergents are manufactured form organic nitrogen compounds (Hydrazine) instead of heavy metal compounds; therefore, they produce no ash as they are burned away. This is where the name “Ashless” comes from. Oils containing this type detergent have a characteristic Ammonia odor.

You could buy some Ipone; it smells like Strawberries...

Last edited:
Supertech Mercon V is similarily disgusting.

I'm wondering whether it serves as a good olfactory indicator for blind motorists who can't see when the dye is losing it's redness.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Ashless detergents are manufactured form organic nitrogen compounds (Hydrazine) instead of heavy metal compounds; therefore, they produce no ash as they are burned away. This is where the name “Ashless” comes from. Oils containing this type detergent have a characteristic Ammonia odor.

Thanks!

This is good to know since I just bought a gallon of the Red Line Watercraft Injection TCW-3, and it has that characteristic ammonia-like smell which gets even stronger when mixed with their SL-1 fuel system additive.

Many inexpensive TC-W3 oils contain large amounts of solvents. Super Tech, according to its MSDS was 60% solvent. A good ester based synthetic will have no solvents, and as such will have a more pleasant aroma. Without the solvents they can often be run at lower concentration with just as much benefit.

If it was 60% solvent, I don't think it would be doing much lubricating...
21.gif

It's covered in the ratios. A 100% oil mixed at 100:1 and the same oil cut 50% with solvent mixed at 50:1 result in the same oil:gas ratio.

Ed

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
SInce most 2-stroke engines are oil injected, how would the oil pump know to adjust ratios for oil with 60% solvents?

They are set for solvent based oil. Some injectors have adjustments you can make. I think Johnson had one that would change the amount of oil the engine used depending on engine load. The 100:1 Amsoil might be too thick to pump through some oil injection systems.

I just opened a bottle of Lucas semi-synthetic 2 stroke oil that I got for 50 cent (I paid 50 cents, I didn't buy it for that rapper dude). It did not smell at all. It was a translucent green. Almost like dark olive oil.

I just started to use Pennzoil full Syn TCW-3 in my fuel, it smells like play-dough??

I was using Pennzoil conventional multi-purpose TCW-3 before that, and it smells like petrolium, but not really that bad.

They both look the same, but very different smell.

Originally Posted By: SOHCman
I just started to use Pennzoil full Syn TCW-3 in my fuel, it smells like play-dough??

Where does everyone find this stuff??!

Is it ONLY on the shelves of marine/boating suppliers? (I've NEVER seen it at an auto supply/parts place, anywhere!)

Originally Posted By: dailydriver

Is it ONLY on the shelves of marine/boating suppliers? (I've NEVER seen it at an auto supply/parts place, anywhere!)

Some Walmarts have/had it.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver

Advance Auto will have it usually, a few months ago one by a job I was on had it for like 9-10 bucks a gallon but I believe that was a sale.

Last edited:
AZ carries Pennzoil Marine, TC-W3 along with other brands. I'm sure the other Auto Parts stores also have it available.

WM carries it in the automotive and in the "Outdoor Sports" section for boating supplies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back