LC as transmission cleaner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the correct dosage for LC if I wanted to use it for a "quick cleaning" in an automatic transmission? TIA.

I think The Critic wantes to use it since LC does clean; now that being stated I do not know how it can be used as a "flush" in a tranny.

I think you want him to use ARX here?

6 oz. of ARX in Auto Tranny for 1000 to 1500 miles. Do a complete flush/exchange of tranny fluid. Put anywhere from 1 oz total to 1 oz/qt of LC in initial new tranny fluid with 1 oz maintenance doses at every 10,000 miles. This is what the LC bottles and website say. Hope this helps.

I talked to Odis about this a couple of years ago and he said he has not used it this way. He did think It would be OK to use in this application, but I don't remember how much he said to use.

Be careful with tranny additives, tranny fluid is designed with a specific friction characteristic in mind. Adding something that could change it might not be a good idea. I doubt LC would modify it TOO much but, be careful.

I am a fan of the "just change the fluids at shorter intervals" approach. That will keep the fluid younger and less likely to form sludge(varnish) and thus muck up the tranny.

I wanted to throw some non-empirical evidence in here. Both my motorcycle, and my current car got LC, bike in the shared sump, and the car got a few oz in the tranny. Both vehicles seemed to love it for a few hundred miles. The bike for about 500 miles, and the car for probably a few hundred. The bike took 15-40 and the car takes Dexron 3 I think. The weight of the dex 3 shouldn’t be changed any, but it seemed to eat it up and the start doing things that it hadn’t before. Whether that can be attributed to the LC directly, or a change of driver and driving pattern and weight pushing near or above the capacity, I can’t say, but I myself would only put ARX in a tranny. I ran 13 oz of LC is a 3 liter sump before, but no thanks on the tranny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back