Lawn Mower oil was gray.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I owned a landscaping biz for 7 years and have changed more oil on aircooled mowers than bullets were fired in WWII, ok maybe not but I digress. It is very common on small engines (under 8HP) to have the gray and milky used oil come out. On the larger engines it rarely did this. My only guess is that the larger engines were commercial quality and were built for the long haul where as the smaller engines have very loose tolerances. Of course I only went through a couple of push mowers in 7 years and they were the cheap versions so I would say that if you change the oil once a year and check/change the air filter, the engine will last 10 years easily.

When i changed my GCV160's oil after the first 5 hours it was still brand new. Now that i have Amsoil small engine oil 25 hours later it was a nice honey color.

I would never have thought to change it so quickly. I suppose with the small sump and no filter it makes sense.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
I would never have thought to change it so quickly. I suppose with the small sump and no filter it makes sense.

I did the same thing to my edger.

You can't change the oil too frequently in a OPE engine with less than 10-12 hours on it. NEED to flush that break-in debris out as it becomes an abrasive, shrapnel-laden slurry ("sliver soup") that does the engine no good at all.

This will also occur after a Kablamo (read: oil blowing out the exhaust). Some first time experience (OPE engine that is) with that this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back