Lawn mower batttery got worse from charging

I have an older u1 battery for my riding mower. Its been sitting for a while and was reading 11.6v which is dead dead but should mean that the plates are still viable. I put it on the trickle charger for a few days and it reached full capacity. I took the charger off and let it sit for a few days to get an accurate reading. Now the battery reads 6.5v. Why would the battery go bad after being charged up?

I put it on the trickle charger for a few days

How powerful a charger?
When I put the riding lawn mower on a Battery Tender Jr it only takes an hour or so to get the light to go green.

Having written that, consider changing the oil to something like 5W-30 synthetic, getting a mulching attachment (for the purposes of mulching leaves), and using the mower a greater % of the year.

Having bought a ton of them over the years, I have drawn one conclusion.
Regardless of how much one pays for them, they are basically junk.
This is evident, based on the fact that they only have a 6 month warranty.
Just view them as a consumable, and shop for the cheapest you can get (generally Walmart, Rural King, or a farm store.)
If you can get 4 years out of one (my best is 6, my worst is 1 year,) it is a good run.

Just view them as a consumable, and shop for the cheapest you can get (generally Walmart, Rural King, or a farm store.)
If you can get 4 years out of one (my best is 6, my worst is 1 year,) it is a good run.
This.. I leave mine on one of the $5.99 HF float chargers 24/7 and that seems to get me at least 3 years.

I have an older u1 battery for my riding mower. Its been sitting for a while and was reading 11.6v which is dead dead but should mean that the plates are still viable. I put it on the trickle charger for a few days and it reached full capacity. I took the charger off and let it sit for a few days to get an accurate reading. Now the battery reads 6.5v. Why would the battery go bad after being charged up?

Heat from charging killing an already old damaged cell(s).

Id say the market is 95% junk.

The thin plate pure lead batteries (TPPL) design (of which there are very few vendors) have been superb and Ive got a 14 year old one in my truck.

When you have to own and maintain 20 batts yourself and in the course of run a shop see hundreds of batteries in a variety of vehicles only a few stand out.

I also suspect that the warranty is short because off season they aren't used and self destruct due to lack of battery maintainer use.

I wonder how an AGM battery might compare.

I know the battery is junk i was more curious as to the cause of lower voltage after charging

Go bad after charging? It was shot before you charged it.

I learned here a long time that it's because the battery lives in much harsher environment in a mower with way more vibration than in a car.

11.6 volts is 100% discharged. Sitting this way for a prolonged period of time will cause irreversible damage. The goose was cooked before you put the charger on it.

I avoid buying U1.

my ariens came with an oem agm. Made it 6-7 years.

i tried an AGM Motorsport AGM from Walmart for $60. It lasted 3.

turns out Ariens will indeed sell you their AGMs for $60 or so. Bought one of those again. IDK who makes them but they seem to be robust and made towards OPE environments.

I use Odyssey AGMs in the mower. Get about 10 years out of one. No need for a battery maintainer. Maybe a 10 minute boost in the spring.

I'm got 5 years on the Costco Interstate U1 battery in my rider and it just started getting tired this fall. I just take it out over the winter and put one of those little Harbor Freight maintainers on it after giving it a full charge.

Back