Latest Harbor Freight Run

I have one of these in 3/8" drive - it was my go-to for a long time, before I began upgrading my tools away from Harbor Freight and Craftsman a few years ago. It was handy for batteries and light duty work. I would NOT use a ratchet to "lean into it" (that's what my breaker bars are for), so I wouldn't have an opportunity to damage the ratchet to be honest.

For some of my ratchets, I got a set of fiber reinforced ratchets from Teng that I use more and more. They do not have high tooth counts (like the Icon and other ratchets I have), but I find that I like using them more than the others just because they feel good in hand when using them and I can quick remove the sockets (Williams or Teng) using a push button when done, instead of fighting them off like on some of my others.

My Harbor Freight composite 3/8" IS the ratchet that I lend out if someone asks for one on occasion. It's easy and cheap to replace if it overstays its visit. ;)

The composite ratchets are the bees knees. Haven't had one fail yet. Can't say that about a Craftsman I owned.
Based on the positive reviews here, I stopped by HF over the weekend to buy the composite 1/4 and 3/8 ratchets. After spending an inordinate amount of time fondling them and wandering about the store considering and reconsidering them, I finally decided not to buy because the head is relatively big and could be a problem in an ultra-crammed engine bay. The Pittsburgh Pro composite model (sitting right next to it) had a compact head but didn't have an offset handle so that was also a no-go. Besides, I probably have enough ratchets already - at least, until they offer a compact head composite with offset handle...

Last edited:
Based on the positive reviews here, I stopped by HF over the weekend to buy the composite 1/4 and 3/8 ratchets. After spending an inordinate amount of time fondling them and wandering about the store considering and reconsidering them, I finally decided not to buy because the head is relatively big and could be a problem in an ultra-crammed engine bay. The Pittsburgh Pro composite model (sitting right next to it) had a compact head but didn't have an offset handle so that was also a no-go. Besides, I probably have enough ratchets already - at least, until they offer a compact head composite with offset handle...
So their is two different models? I’ve only ever seen the Pittsburgh Pro ones never just regular Pittsburgh.

So their is two different models? I’ve only ever seen the Pittsburgh Pro ones never just regular Pittsburgh.
The non-pro has an offset handle but large head:
Screenshot_20201208-162909_Chrome.jpg

The Pro has a compact head but straight handle:
Screenshot_20201208-163003_Chrome.jpg

I stand corrected. I thought the all-gray ratchet was not pro.
You wouldn't know for sure without going to the store. They sometimes seem to make a point not to mention if a ratchet is a pro or not. I would have thought the Tekton looking ratchets were the from the pro line. Maybe they are.

You wouldn't know for sure without going to the store. They sometimes seem to make a point not to mention if a ratchet is a pro or not. I would have thought the Tekton looking ratchets were the from the pro line. Maybe they are.
The 3/8 one I screenshot with the red/gray handle says pro on the website and in store but I didn't see that listed on the site for the 1/4 and 1/2. Now I have to stop by HF on my way to work tomorrow, just to check which ones are pro...

Dang...I'm gonna print a bunch of those $5 coupons and make multiple trips. Thankfully I have one only a few miles away. Thanks for posting the coupon!

Back