Korean Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a rental 2011 Optima for a business trip I was on, although it appeared to be a nice car with a lof of styling, it also felt very cheap. The dashboard was cheap hard plastic, the doors felt light and flimsy.

My brother had an '02 Elantra that was decent, but parts were very expensive and it did have quite a few issues in the 100k he had it. I would peg it as average or slightly below in the reliability department.

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
Actually I do drive one of the most well-built vehicles ever made, which is why my standards are so high. I've driven new Hyundais and Kias, and they've always left me aghast at their glaring shortcomings.

Opinions vary and people value different characteristics on cars. Not liking something doesn't automatically make it junk.

I'm sure some people don't like whatever car you drive either.

That's why it is nice to have multiple car companies, that way we can all get what we want.

Originally Posted By: jim302
Actually I do drive one of the most well-built vehicles ever made, which is why my standards are so high. I've driven new Hyundais and Kias, and they've always left me aghast at their glaring shortcomings.

Opinions vary and people value different characteristics on cars. Not liking something doesn't automatically make it junk.

That's why it is nice to have multiple car companies, that way we can all get what we want.

He has a Lexus.

I had a 2001 Hyundai Elantra that I bought new. I had many electrical problems with it from headlights burning out monthly, to power mirrors moving on there on there own while driving. I was glad to be rid of it with about 70k miles on it.

I think Korean cars still have a ways to go and once if they ever really get there (and the price creeps up) I still don't see any need or reason to buy them. The media of course will tell you they are the best whether or not they are, it is already started doing that as it is.

I think it depends on what you do with it and what options you have. My good friend John drives a, I want to say 1998 but I can't remember the year, Kia Sephia. Has just over 200,000 miles on it. He just takes it to and from work so he does not have to drive his truck. Has been pretty good, but it has no options and he has done just normal maintenance. I just always buy what I am comfortable with and I get parts for.
If you are comfortable with the Korean cars, buy one.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

He has a Lexus.

Oh Geez!! A Fluffy Toyota...
smirk.gif

Originally Posted By: Tim H.
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

He has a Lexus.

Oh Geez!! A Fluffy Toyota...
smirk.gif

Toyota is the absolute best. Apparently, the most "well-built vehicles ever made" according to somebody
wink.gif

Get with the times!
grin.gif
hehehe

I had a '91 Scoupe for awhile. My late brother-in-law took it to me at Western Auto, had a new catalytic converter, new struts, tires and wheels put on, then decided he didn't want it anymore.
In order to save my sister's credit, I paid it off. $1600.

I drove it for awhile. A/C compressor was locked up but it did have 90-something thousand miles on it and I just dumped $1600 into it so I didn't fix it.

The Mitsubishi 4G15 design engine was gutless and didn't get real good gas mileage. My later Civic and Integra were more powerful and got better gas mileage. But it was reliable. The interior quality was WAY above anything in it's class and the power windows and sunroof worked flawlessly.

I gave it back to my sister so she would have a car while her husband was at work and she would be able to go to the store or wherever with her kids. (she also had an Elite 50 scooter) He sold it within a few months.

Fast forward 10 years. We bought my mother in law a Hyundai XG300. It's ride would impress any Buick driver. It drives like you would expect a Park Avenue to drive. Interior materials are mostly good...fake wood is ugly but it was no uglier than the Buick's. Leather is nice. Soft touch materials. Nice.
The car is 10 years old now and it had a catalyst fail. I'm sure that is due in part to the way it is driven. It only has 44,000 miles. Mostly down to Albertsons, across the street to Aldi, and back home. Maybe one mile round trip. Very slowly.

Same sister mentioned before has an XG350. 90,000+ miles. No problems.

Hyundai just doesn't make anything I want. The GDI turbo Sonata is intriguing, but seemed softly sprung and doesn't come with a manual transmission. I like the Genesis Coupe but I'm not sure I want to jam my kid into the back of a coupe and if I did, I would probably just get a Mustang, Challenger, or Camaro.

I had a 2011 Kia Forte as a rental for three days and aside from Bluetooth and 6spd auto transmission, there was nothing in that car that showed any improvement over my 5 year old Mazda 3.

I keep reading all these great things about Hyundai and Kia and from my limited experience with these brands, they're average at best.

I would rate Hyundai/Kia ahead of Chrysler and most GM and Ford models. They are almost on par with Honda and Toyota. They have been very reliable for the last 8-10 years. They have come a long way on style, gas mileage and build quality.

I had an extend Sonata rental. The car was big, powerful, looked good and had amazing gas mileage. However, the seats were uncomfortable with a hard fabric (felt like burlap) and the dash still used some cheap and ugly plastic bits. There was also this strip of rubber on the steering wheel that felt like a deflated balloon. I am guessing that the higher end models might be better.

One of my biggest issues with Hyundai is the dealerships. They have a bargain basement used car thing going on.

Originally Posted By: Tim H.

Probably not any more junk than what your driving...

It may be five more years before they're truly on par with their segment leaders, if they continue their current pace of improvement - or it may be never.

So why does it remain a mystery?

The Korean car Co's are certainly trying hard as did the Japanese car Co's during their hayday of the '80s/'90s.
The Korean Co's may eventually pass every other car company in terms of quality/riliability/sales.

The Kia dealer in town here is the only one that has ads like, "No credit? NO PROBLEM!!!" or "We will pay off the loan on your old beater and get you into a NEW KIA WITH A 100K MILE WARRANTY!" or "NO ONE is refused credit!!"

Just that is so much of a turn-off that I don't want to be seen at the dealer or seen anywhere near a Kia. They cater to low-lifes who cannot manage their finances and that's the perception I get of people who drive one.

Based on their rate of ascension into the mainstream the Koreans are a force to be reckoned with.

But IMO, with apologies to their owners if offended, they just don't work for me. They're full of gadgets but lack refinement in comparison with my expectations. I don't want gizmos, I want driving satisfaction, and I can't get it from most of the offerings from Korea. I have the same problem with most Japanese cars, but at least some of them have worked the NVH and suspension issues out much better than the Koreans.

Just my opinion, each of us is very different in what we expect from a car.

The Accents are our first Korean cars. Dull as all get out. She likes hers more than I like mine. But, and this is a big one- they have been the most reliable trouble free vehicles either of has owned, so far beating the Japanese cars, which beat everything else.

I miss having power and the fun to drive experience. My next car may be a restored 914, another MGB, or TR6. That is where my heart is.

But when the pen meets the sales contract, it will probably be a Kia Forte Koup with the 2.4 and 6 speed manual.

Edit: I realize that none of the classics are fast. But an MGB or 914 feels faster than they are. Words cannot explain how slooow and gutless the Accents are. I am wonndering what is faster, an Accent or a Yugo GV. Seriously.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 82DMC12
The Kia dealer in town here is the only one that has ads like, "No credit? NO PROBLEM!!!" or "We will pay off the loan on your old beater and get you into a NEW KIA WITH A 100K MILE WARRANTY!" or "NO ONE is refused credit!!"

Just that is so much of a turn-off that I don't want to be seen at the dealer or seen anywhere near a Kia. They cater to low-lifes who cannot manage their finances and that's the perception I get of people who drive one.

You should really hate Drivers Select.

They cater to people with bad credit. Every car I've had come into my shop with Driverselect markings it's been a high end car.
Hey! You got a Lexus ES350....at only 20% interest!
I just browsed the inventory. Acura, Audi, BMW, Cadillac, page after page after page...then just a couple of Chevies.

And if Kia does put someone who cannot manage thier finances into a Rio or base Seoul...at least they aren't $25,000 under on a used Lexus.
21.gif

Ford had a similar program years ago. Virtually everyone qualified for a "Red Carpet Lease". You missed a payment and they had the repo-men on you immediately. Even if you made all your payments on time they had you at the end of your lease. You were almost guaranteed to be upside down. The only way out? Pay up or lease another Ford. Those people that didn't manage their finances well could not buy their way out.
My old roomate finally bought a Dodge Ram to get out of the endless Ford lease cycle. They bought him out of the lease and he had to finance his truck for 6 years to get out of the loop. Probably an extra year of payments.

I told him to choose the purchase option at the end of the lease...to me that was a better option. Maybe 3 or 4 more years of payments on a truck that was in better condition than the Ford dealer would have indicated it was and you are free of the cycle. He didn't like my suggestion at all.

Originally Posted By: 82DMC12

This type of financing and advertising is NOT exclusive to Kia or Hyundai dealers. I have seen these types of offers advertised at many dealers across different brands.

Seriously, dealers are independent from the manufacturer and I can't believe anyone would look down upon a whole brand because of one dealer (especially due to the dealer's finance policies). They all have different ways to finance a car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back