kohler k-321as oil choose

Status
Not open for further replies.

JR

Michigan born but my heart belongs in dixie
i have 1976 k321as that powers a ingersoll 224 with a loader.
i use this michine for the loader and rarely does it go over half throttle. i have been using m1 15w-50 red top since i had a stash, just dumped last two quarts in. i have used 30wt anf 15w-40 in these k-series, i run 15w-50 since i had alot and my engine builder requemended it. noo oil usage on 15w-50. i was wondering what to use now, leaning toward 15w-40.
thanks ken

I've used Rotella 15W-40 on all my OPE including several older Cub Cadets with Kohler engines. Always got super long life out of them.

My 1973 Wheel Horse rider has the K301, it still runs like new with many years using Rotella 15W-40. I've been using M1 10w-30 the last year and all is ok. This year I'll try Mag 1 HD 30w and if it doesn't like that I'll go back to Rotella 15W-40.

I run 15W-40 in my B&S 20hp. Runs great, never uses oil, and gives good economy. The manual calls for 30wt, but it's not under warranty anymore so I do what I think best. I have said this before often; if a diesel can't kill it, I doubt any gas engine can.

Quote:
jetmech1 have you noticed any oil usage using 15w-40. it seems that i used qsgb 30wt and 15w-40 oil usage was higher then with the 15w-50.
Quote:
I have said this before often; if a diesel can't kill it, I doubt any gas engine can.

No. In fact the oil consumption has been nil. I've been taking care of several pieces of OPE that recommended 10W-30 and one John Deere with only 180 hrs actually started becoming a "smoker". I switched to Rotella T 15W-40 and it stabilized and smoking quit.

I've got a new Generac power washer that I just got broke in. Looks like a chinese knock off engine. I'm going to see how it does there. HD 30wt is the reccommended weight.

Last edited:
Quote:
i have 1976 k321as that powers a ingersoll 224 with a loader

I thought all those Case/Ingersoll tractors had that opposed Onan engine. Is that an original set-up or a repower? Just curious.

Originally Posted By: marshall25
The bigger Case lawn mowers had Onans, I've got a 76 Case 220 with the K241 Kohler.

Yep, the 446's had a horizontally opposed Onan twin.

The large rear-wheeled Case/Ingersoll 442 and 444 had Kohler K-series, single cyl 12 and 14hp's (respectively).

I owned a 1979 model year 220 with a 10hp K and used 15w40 in it. Kohler K's do wonderfully on this oil, regardless of what Case/Ingersol enthusiasts argue about "SAE30 ONLY".

Joel

I use Mobile One 0w40 in all my engines as well as all customers machines. It is a fantastic oil that meets some very stringent certs, VW 502/504.1 (diesel)/505, BMW LL, ACEA A3/B4, ISAC GL-5, MB 229 among others. It is their best oil save ESP formula 5w30 which achieves the VW 507 cert.

I use Napa (Valvoline) 10w40 in hydros that spec motor oil, Such as Sunstrands, Eatons, Cessna's, Trw's, serviceable Tuff-torq's get 15w50 synthetic. The Cub 2000, 3000 series gets the Cub oil as they use a Hydro-Gear BDU-1 pump in a cast housing for the 3000 series (VERY stout unit) the 2k series use the same pump but some use an aluminum housing, some cast if I recall. Course the 1k series all use the wimpy K46 that weighs a hefty 26 lbs. they get 15w50 Mobile One if I need to pull one to change it.

This has greatly simplified my stock, 0w40 in all engines, 10w40 in most hydros, while providing outstanding protection.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: kbowley
... The Cub 2000, 3000 series gets the Cub oil as they use a Hydro-Gear BDU-1 pump..

Off topic, but ANY 40 or 50wt can be substituted for Cub Cadet Drive System Fluid Plus. 30wts HDEOs will work for that matter.

When I gathered data on it some years ago and spoke with both Cub and HydroGear corp, CC Drive System Fluid Plus was made by Shell and called (by Shell) "Shell TTF-SB"; tractor transaxle fluid - synthetic blend. It's basically Shell Rotella-T 15w40, but Cub dealers sell it for $10-12/qt.

Joel

Thanks JTK, That will simplify things even further. I have four customers with 3200 series Cubs and I have been using the Cub oil because one lost a pump at 400 hrs. It is a 2006 model and the dealer treated him very well even though it was way out of warranty. I believe they charged him about 800 installed.

Anyway, that incident made me cautious and have stuck with the Cub DSF plus. The dealer said it was critical to only use that fluid. I will certainly look into it. It surely doesnt look or smell like Rotella. More like HY-Gard.

Thats a VERY stout transmission and should not have let go, hence the dealer splitting it with him. However, that customer is a bit hard on it. He never lets it run for a few minutes in the winter...Just starts it, swings it to full throttle, drops the plow and goes.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: kbowley
..I have four customers with 3200 series Cubs and I have been using the Cub oil because one lost a pump at 400 hrs. It is a 2006 model and the dealer treated him very well even though it was way out of warranty. I believe they charged him about 800 installed..

Yep, having followed everything Cub for years, I have read of quite a few 3K series transaxle issues. Usually it's the charge pump gerotor that gives out or a differential lock mechanism that throws a wrench in the works when owners attempt to engage the diff lock while the rear wheels are still rolling.

I think just about every owner I've spoken with has changed over to something along the lines of 15w40 for their (drive sys fluid plus spec'd) trans, especially after they had to tear them down to replace broken gearing or whatnot.

You rarely hear of an issue with the drive-end (HydroGear BDU series), it's almost always with the Cub-built transaxle. The gearing in them is engineered powdered metal technology. Not necessarily a bad thing. They just tend to be much harder than they are tough.

The only other issue that for what ever reason happens with both 2 and 3K series machines is in regards to the spin-on filter for the trans. Some owners have used off-brand hydraulic or automotive filters on the trans, only to find out they can't catch prime. Switch to a Cub or quality hydraulic filter and your good to go.

I've had good luck with Napa or Carquest (Wix) hydraulic filters for my 2K, but they're no cheaper than a genuine Cub filter.

Joel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back