kia engine issues...really serious or overinflated?

They're cheap, they're available, and there are lots of non-Korean brands with big issues too who don't give a 10y/100K powertrain. Buying a Ford is a whole lot riskier IMO.
The new ones aren't cheap at all, in fact they're as expensive now as the top Japanese makes. I'd still take a Toyota/Honda/Mazda any day over either of the Korean makes...

Hyun/Kia is very polarizing on this board. It’s unlikely that you’ll get much more than anecdotal evidence. The thing to know about Hyun/Kia: the 2.4L were not great engines. That said, the vast majority of them produced went well beyond their generous warranty. The other engines are generally solid. Decent power, good fuel economy, maybe a bit unrefined, but not terrible. The most important thing, in my opinion, is maintenance. I don’t think these engines take neglect well. Good maintenance will help a lot.

Anecdotal evidence time: 79k on my Elantra, no issues, no oil useage, 40 mpg on the highway.
Is that 2.4l the GEMA Chrysler/Hyundai/Mitsu engine? I'm just curious why you don't really hear of these same problems in the FCA and Mitsu vehicles?

The Lambda 3.8 and the Beta II 2.0 were the peak Hyundai/Kia. You wont find many examples that arent clapped out these days.

The Lambda 3.8 and the Beta II 2.0 were the peak Hyundai/Kia. You wont find many examples that arent clapped out these days.
We have an '08 Spectra which I believe is a 2l Beta II. It has been extremely reliable. I've changed the timing belt and water pump for maint. Never have had an issue with it, and it doesn't even leak a drop of oil after all of these years.

The Lambda 3.8 and the Beta II 2.0 were the peak Hyundai/Kia. You wont find many examples that aren't clapped out these days.
Having owned an Elantra with the Beta engine I agree it was a good one. The 3.3 and 3.8 are known to be good also. It's the lastest 2.4 that's been the most problematic and I've read that the 2.0 can be hit or miss. The strange thing is that the 2.4 was a very good engine up until 2011 which is when I believe they went to GDI. IDK if there were other significant changes on the 2011 but the 2008, 2009 and 2010 Sonata with the 2.4 were long lived (I've seen one with 400K).

Just before the spike in used car prices I helped my b-i-l find a 2008 Sonata with low miles (58K). He has put over 80K trouble free miles on it and would probably still get what he paid for it. He uses 5w30 synthetic @ 7 to 8K OCIs and might have to add 6 or 8 ounces after 5K to keep it at the top line on the dipstick.

Having said this I agree with those who say "why take a chance on a H/K especially since they aren't cheap anymore"....that's why I advised my daughter to buy a Mazda CX-30 over a Kona/Seltos.

Last edited:
I had a 2013 Hyundai GT with the 1.8 motor. It had a loud piston slap noise about 1/2 the time. I sold it at 88k trouble free miles. I did bring it to a Hyundai dealer and they said the noise was "normal." I made sure that the notes indicated the noise I was hearing. A TSB was later released...

My parents have a 2012 Sonata with 250k miles. Zero issues except maybe a wheel bearing or two. He also towed a trailer a bunch with it.

That's their big selling point. They design their models with very modern looks, and they have people believing they're as good as the Japanese makes, which they aren't...
Toyota has always faced an uphill battle in Korea - their hybrids made a slight difference but Koreans tend to buy Korean …

I had a 2013 Hyundai GT with the 1.8 motor. It had a loud piston slap noise about 1/2 the time. I sold it at 88k trouble free miles. I did bring it to a Hyundai dealer and they said the noise was "normal." I made sure that the notes indicated the noise I was hearing. A TSB was later released...

My parents have a 2012 Sonata with 250k miles. Zero issues except maybe a wheel bearing or two. He also towed a trailer a bunch with it.
The 1.8 Nu did have a lawsuit of its own
I liked the Elantra GT 😔
1000009791.jpg

An owner of a 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe, Jasmine Jewell, submitted the petition to the NHTSA. In her letter, Jewell recounts the engine failure of her SUV at 61,413 miles. Despite reaching out to four Hyundai dealerships in Rhode Island, she discovered they were all inundated with vehicles needing engine replacements.

Consequently, she had to tow her vehicle to a dealer in Massachusetts, where she was promptly informed that a new engine was necessary. The quoted cost for a replacement was $19,997, excluding labor charges
nhsta is looking into the 3.3 as of yesterday according to carscoops.

I guess bunch of anecdotes means something

Back