Kendall with Liquid Titanium Full Syn SN 5w-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
This oil has a 167 VI. Here's a link to the pds so you can see what CP lists. (copy &paste) http://www.conocophillipslubricants.com/documents/conoco/industrial_oils/Ken%20GT1%20Full%20Synthetic%20MO%20(Ti)%20TDS%20Web.pdf

Blackstone's numbers were pretty accurate.

Comments: We guessed this oil was Kendall's 5W/30, but the viscosity would be okay for a 10W/40 as well. There really isn't much of a viscosity difference between the two grades oils anymore. You can see the liquid Titanium additive present, along with some molybdenum, boron, calcium, phosphorus and zinc. We're not sure if the titanium is an anti-wear type additive or a dispersant type, or maybe it's a little of both. TheTBN starts strong at 8.8 and no contaminants were found. This oil is in serviceable condition and should do
well in your F-150.

Code:

ALUMINUM 0

CHROMIUM 0

IRON 1

COPPER 1

LEAD 0

TIN 0

MOLYBDENUM 75

NICKEL 0

MANGANESE 0

SILVER 1

TITANIUM 88

POTASSIUM 0

BORON 212

SILICON 5

SODIUM 2

CALCIUM 2198

MAGNESIUM 8

PHOSPHORUS 714

ZINC 802

BARIUM 0

SUS @ 210F: 62.3

cST @ 100C: 10.87

Flashpoint: 435

Fuel: 0.5

Antifreeze: 0

Water: 0

Insolubles: 0.0

TBN: 8.8

Last edited:
What do you make of the 10w-40 comment? This will be run in my ecoboost and I'm fine with a bit of a thicker oil since its a TGDI engine. Looks like a good solid oil, same add pack as the syn blend.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: volk06

Blackstone's numbers were pretty accurate.

Comments: We guessed this oil was Kendall's 5W/30, but the viscosity would be okay for a 10W/40 as well.

Apparently Blackstone doesn't understand the difference between 5W30 and 10W40. The KV100 range for 30 wt is 9.3 - 12.5. The KV100 range for 40 wt is 12.5 - 16.3. The only way a viscosity could be okay for a 30 wt and 40 wt is if the KV100 was exactly 12.5, which it was not for this oil.

Since the CCP and MRV values for 5W are lower than 10W and tested at a lower temperature, it would be OK to say that a 5W would work for a 10W, although not based on any of the tests Blackstone ran.

Trying to understand why they class it as thick as a 10W40. The PDS shows HTHS at only 3.0, two clicks lower than the syn blend's 3.2

No matter the discrepancies (which looks like a B_S mistake) it appears to be one of the finest formulated oils on the market PERIOD. I mean look at the additive pack you get boron, ti, moly, good calcium and ZDDP. I am seriously thinking about a switch to this lube.

Note: I realize that though it is a great formula it doesn't necessarily mean they are the finest "ingredients" but COP is no slacker company.

Kendall's GT-1 Syn 0w20 (w/Ti).....has a great add pack as well....but I can't find any Kendall products here in Central Oregon.....

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Trying to understand why they class it as thick as a 10W40. The PDS shows HTHS at only 3.0, two clicks lower than the syn blend's 3.2

+1

Originally Posted By: Oregoonian
Kendall's GT-1 Syn 0w20 (w/Ti).....has a great add pack as well....but I can't find any Kendall products here in Central Oregon.....

Give Carson Oil in Prineville a call. They are a Kendall distributor in the NW.

Originally Posted By: Finklejag
Originally Posted By: Oregoonian

Give Carson Oil in Prineville a call. They are a Kendall distributor in the NW.

Thanks....I'll give them a call.

Originally Posted By: odie
Aubuchon Hardware stores sell the semi-syn blend at $4.29 a quart . They're located in the Connecticut , Maine , Massachusetts , New Hampshire , New York , and Vermont . Here's their website http://www.hardwarestore.com/ .

Originally Posted By: odie
Here's the Kendall at Aubochon . http://brands.hardwarestore.com/kendall-motor-oil.aspx . They also carry the 5w-30 and a few other weights .

Autozone has it on sale for 3.29/qt

Last edited:
Volk06
Did you put this in your EB yet? Time for my change and I am torn between using the GT-1 or the PU I have.

Last edited:
No yet, I should be in about 3 weeks, I'm 700 miles away from an OCI and I'll be gone on a work conference next week. I will have by valentines day.

Originally Posted By: BeerCan
Volk06
Did you put this in your EB yet? Time for my change and I am torn between using the GT-1 or the PU I have.

Sent u a PM

Looks great, thanks for posting.

Blackstone is out to lunch about the viscosity comment - it's not even a 'thick' 30-weight!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back