Keeping up your guard buying OEM parts at a new car dealership

At MSRP, the margins are insufficient, especially for dealing with the general public. A lot of manufacturers will pay their dealers well over msrp (for parts) on warranty repairs.
Are they though? My favorite place to order OEM parts, East Coast Moparts aka Waldorf Dodge, will sell me the front rotors of my minivan for $65.80 under MSRP.

Yup I've experienced this at Honda dealers.. One place jacks up the price way above list price, then offered me 10% off.. um.. wow.. when you've raised it 25% to begin with? Pass.. Luckily I know a guy at a different Honda dealer and always gives me a discount (below retail price).. also a great guy to talk cars with! (y)

so they've been getting my retail business.. I buy stuff like coolant in person, shipping is free!

I miss being tight with the Toyota parts counter people
I paid my dues taking the bus there in highschool paying $9 for a YZZD1 oil filter
List less 25% really helped out, but alas they quit 😔

Back to on-line ordering I go 😔

For that kind of money I would have purchased aftermarket FOBS and found a local locksmith.
Generally speaking nobody is a "local locksmith" anymore. Google searches are all fake web-sites showing local locations, but go to a call center that farms out the work. It takes a lot of work to find a locksmith, and then how good are they? I did search for local locksmith that might be able to cut and program a master Lexus in the Tacoma area and found nothing.

There is a huge risk involved having a local locksmith program master keys on certain makes/ models. If the local locksmith screws it up, then it is a tow to the dealer. Just a lot of risk for savings a few hundred bucks.

This is not a hate on local locksmiths, far from it. I am sure plenty of BITOGERs know a @Trav or @clinebarger type locksmith (as they are to mechanical), but the truth a large percent of locksmiths today are about as competent as the fresh out of high school jiffy lube tech servicing your car. Sure they can remove a filter and drain the pan but have little more to offer than that. The last two locksmiths I had come out for basic rekeying of household locks were incompetent. At a Lexus dealer, if something goes wrong with the programming, at least the Lexus dealer has an authorized hotline to Lexus manufacturer service/ support. Last thing I need is for a hack locksmith to screw up the security programming on 2005 model year Lexus, and then have the Lexus dealer tell me they don't service 2005.........

You did good by finding the key cheaper, but the real question now is this: will the dealership actually program your key for the same price or at all?
That is a good question. As I am not desperate, if this dealer won't I will wait until I find one that does. I just don't want to lose the key I have and be stuck.

I stopped by a local Toyota dealer, they said they can't program sell nor program Lexus keys- I will a little surprised.

Maybe time for a knockoff Techstream, or a further look into the Autel you bought

They both should be able to do immobilizer and keyfob programming with little difficulty

If you need the key code, it's stamped on the drivers door barrel, which is quickly removed

With blank in hand, DIY programming abilities, and a reasonable locksmith
You shouldn't have to pay much
I refuse to 😤

@The Critic is right. They (OEMs) definitely pay over cost and list on warranty parts at a dealer. It’s very lucrative for the parts department on warranty work

I’m a dealer tech and do a TON of warranty work on big stuff engines and transmissions by the dozens and the mark up is quite good for the parts dept (right now I have 7 transmissions and 1 engine on order or going in under warranty)

@The Critic is right. They (OEMs) definitely pay over cost and list on warranty parts at a dealer. It’s very lucrative for the parts department on warranty work

I’m a dealer tech and do a TON of warranty work on big stuff engines and transmissions by the dozens and the mark up is quite good for the parts dept (right now I have 7 transmissions and 1 engine on order or going in under warranty)
Please post some invoices. Until then- it is an urban legend (in my life experience)........ all I have ever heard is warranty work is slim margins for a dealer.

Please post some invoices. Until then- it is an urban legend (in my life experience)........ all I have ever heard is warranty work is slim margins for a dealer.

Can’t post an internal invoice. But here is the approval worksheet

80% over cost at our dealer

Attachments

• IMG_6263.jpeg
    IMG_6263.jpeg
    112 KB · Views: 50
Can’t post an internal invoice. But here is the approval worksheet

80% over cost at our dealer
Although what you posted is not useable- need an actual invoice to Stellantis, what you posted shows a markup of under $100 over MSRP, cost is irrelevant in this discussion, which is centered on some new car dealers charging over MSRP for parts, and often charging a lot over MSRP.

Here is what you posted in real numbers- but again need multiple actual invoices to accredit that Manufacturers of automobiles are paying well above MSRP for parts used for warranty work........

MSRP: $2,045.00

$1530 dealer cost

$1530 x 1.4= $2142

https://www.moparpart.com/oem-parts/mopar-with-torque-converter-transmission-kit-r8453637ab

Back