K & N Air Filters Good Or Bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are a number of independent test of various filters out there that could be quoted, most notably the SwRI test from 2007 (project # 08.12717.01.004) but let's just agree that oiled cotton gauze filters (OCG), K&N and any others, have "average" efficiency. No worse than most OE replacement filters, perhaps better than some of the cheapies, but not as good as the high efficiency media. Average is good enough in most situations, especially in low-dirt environments.

IMO,the major issues with OCG come when they improperly cleaned/oiled or cleaned too often. The instructions detail how to properly clean them but I have seen so many people who do it wrong... even my own darn self... because we get lazy. In the SwRI test above, K&N efficiency dropped 1.02 percent after five correct washings, so even if you do it right you may lose efficiency. Other filters ( AEM, AFE & AirAid) were tested the same way lost much less that that, from 0.10 to 0.50 percent. There are a few tests out there showing unoiled OCGs (about 50 percent efficiency) and improperly cleaned OCG (from 93% to about 80%) but they are old and probably no longer accurate. The most current independent test I have of a K&N shows about 96 percent using fine dust under the ISO 5011:2000 protocols.

ANY filter's efficiency will improve as it loads up, the OCG more than most. OCGs are known for their flow but they can have an eighth-inch of dirt on them and still flow well. Ironically, that's the point at which they achieve their highest efficiency.

If average is good enough for your situation, that's fine. I just don't see the point in paying a premium price for average filtration.

Some will highlight the performance aspects as icing on the cake. They can play a part, depending on the individual situation. In the stock airbox, a drop-in filter replacement doesn't offer much, in any, performance improvement. If it does, it's in the upper rpm ranges. A full system may do better but that's often as much the tuning of the new "system" (ducting, boxes, etc.) as it is the filter but it's also a product of how good the new is versus the old. Where the performance aspects really come into play is when the airflow needs of the engine have been increased via other mods and the capabilities of the stock system/filter are outstripped. You aren't so much "gaining" as "not losing" when you increase airflow capacity.

If I was running a K&N, I would use the optional foam sock if possible. That puts them into the high efficiency category, even if it costs a little flow.

^I agree completely. Great post, you nailed it. +1,000!

01.gif

I tried BMC/K&N on the P car while I had it. Mind you I tried both brand new out the box and it did not like it at all. I probably went through 3 MAF's because of it. I tried the CNC MAF cleaner and it didn't last long.

If your car uses a MAF, I just wouldn't recommend it. Filtration wasn't the biggest issue for where I lived as NYC hardly has a lot of dust storms. :p

K&N filters are not for your mother-in-law's car. They are designed to be checked, cleaned, and properly oiled by someone who knows how to follow directions. If used properly they will filter as well as any paper element while allowing greater air flow. If you need more filtration from a K&N, they offer "PreCharger" wraps for most of their filter styles.

I'm running a K&N filter and intake on my 03 Durango 287. It's a great product backed by great customer service.

Sorry, but you cannot have any filter that does a better job with more flow. One or the other, you've got to pick. K&N definitely do not filter as well as most paper filters. But they do filter well enough for many cars and their owners.

BTW, most K&N's are messed with way too often, they actually need very little attention.

Originally Posted By: Axeman
It's a great product backed by great customer service.

Very true. If you ever have a problem with one just exchange it for a new one.

Does any manufacturer of high-performance street cars put K&N or similar oiled filter in at the factory?

When I see that I'll stop considering it to be an obsolete, inferior technology.

Originally Posted By: circuitsmith
Does any manufacturer of high-performance street cars put K&N or similar oiled filter in at the factory?

When I see that I'll stop considering it to be an obsolete, inferior technology.

On that note, that got me thinking. What does ford use in their GT500 and Boss 302 mustangs from the factory? I imagine it has to be some sort of high flow filter.

Originally Posted By: afoulk
What does ford use in their GT500 and Boss 302 mustangs from the factory? I imagine it has to be some sort of high flow filter.

It is. My buddy has a GT500 and it has a high flow cone type filter. I didn't pay close enough attention to determine whether it was oiled or dry, though.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Sorry, but you cannot have any filter that does a better job with more flow. One or the other, you've got to pick. K&N definitely do not filter as well as most paper filters. But they do filter well enough for many cars and their owners.

BTW, most K&N's are messed with way too often, they actually need very little attention.

Agreed on all points.

IMO, if getting a K&N; get one of their cone filters not a drop-in and get their pre-charge. Shouldn't have to clean it for a LONG time.

However, I've decided to go with aFe's Pro Dry S drop-in for my app. Looking forward to lower silicon readings.

Well, I think they filter as good as with more flow - not better with more flow. This is important to note as I think some people buy these filters expecting better filtration.

Anyway, real data on air filters seems hard to come by. I did a lot of research on K&N before I dropped money on their intake system. I realize that this is K&N's own page, but take a look at this: K&N Air Filter Facts. It addresses flow, filtration, mass air flow sensors, as well as their filter and engine protection warranty.

Axeman, with the blatant [censored] horsepower ratings they publish they lose a lot of credibility with some of us.

I'll take any independent reviews, but not their own stuff!

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Axeman, with the blatant [censored] horsepower ratings they publish they lose a lot of credibility with some of us.

I'll take any independent reviews, but not their own stuff!

Yeah, I hear you. Even if the HP ratings are true, it's best-case scenario. Still, I think they get a bad rep because some people expect it to be a better filter, or because others don't know how to maintain it. The only true HP increase would be from an intake kit, not just a filter. I should specify that I am speaking from my standpoint of using a kit that bolts on my TB, not just a drop-in filter in the stock air box.

Originally Posted By: Axeman
The only true HP increase would be from an intake kit, not just a filter. I should specify that I am speaking from my standpoint of using a kit that bolts on my TB, not just a drop-in filter in the stock air box.

Agreed.

Only time a freer flowing air cleaner gives any benefit is in W.O.T.

With F.I., any time that you are at part throttle, the resistance of the air cleaner and the mostly closed throttle are what's controlling engine speed/load.

If you want to sacrifice longevity for an improvement in the 1% of the time that you are W.O.T., it's entirely your choice...

Off road and racing, where the 1% becomes significant integers, the equations are different.

"K & N Air Filters - Good Or Bad?" Ever since I went into a Pep Boys many years ago, took a new K&N air filter out of the box and held up against the ceiling's fluorescent lights, I said "No way, Jose!" (Apologies to Jose'.) And I feel the same way today. When holding it against the lights I could see dozens of tiny, sand grain sized "stars" where the light was coming through. Plain n' simple, I call those "HOLES." (Apologies to Courtney Love.) To use an engineer's techno-speak, "No air filter should have holes in it." That's bad, m-OK? (Apologies to South Park's Mr. Mackey.) You want “high-flow” for a street car? Just by any good, name brand paper+synthetic filter and change it out well before the mileage called for.

Originally Posted By: circuitsmith

They were used from the factory on the Viper ACR.

K and N, sells u the sizzle and u dont get steak. Me and a bunch of expediters ran them over a year and trashed them, went back to Napa, all we got was more deep throated engine noise and no mpg increase.. a fool and our money is soon parted. oh yea, and all that cleaning kit thing u gotta do, taint worth it boys, but I was gullible too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back