Just did water decarbonization on Mazda 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did it today on my subi 2.2L and it appears to have done a great job. The idle is so smooth that it almost feels like the engine is not running. The first time set off the check engine light so I unhooked the battery to reset the ECU. Very little white smoke though.

Well, many people state something similar to "there was a TON of white smoke, it HAD to be cleaning SOMETHING!" when they used Amsoil Power Foam or SeaFoam or similar products. No.... The white smoke was those other chemicals burning.

The Techron I got from AAP's BOGO was doing nothing for my Corolla. The run of Techron was still giving me ~25 MPG and I noticed little to no difference in engine performance.

Found this thread before my Techron tank was completely gone. So I decided to use a hand steamer injecting about 3-4 cups of hot steam down the PCV hose over 10 minutes. No smoke from the tail pipe. But a slight fumes odor in the cabin. Reset the ECU after and took her out for spin on the highway. My engine feels like it gained little more HP. A lot smoother and more torque on the low end. I've noticed the car requires less RPMs to shift to the next gear (maybe placebo effect). Just filled up the tank this morning with Sunoco and some MMO... waiting to see if I gained any MPGs.

Best part is the water and steam didn't set me back another $7. Now the car feels like it did when it rolled off the stealership's lot 5 years ago. Any MPG gains would only be a bonus.

Last edited:
Can you use Hydrogen Peroxide(H2O2) instead of H2O? I wonder if the extra oxygen atom is readily avaiable to oxidize Carbon. I can get the 35% stuff at work when it expires (and still takes your skin off!)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Can you use Hydrogen Peroxide(H2O2) instead of H2O? I wonder if the extra oxygen atom is readily avaiable to oxidize Carbon. I can get the 35% stuff at work when it expires (and still takes your skin off!)

Why change what I know already works? I'm going to try a gallon of boiling water through a basketball needle next time.

The gain in engine performance was like night and day right after the water injection treatment. I thought it was too good to be true. I have no idea what the water could have cleaned up in my engine or exhaust that the Techron failed to do. Water injection has made a believer.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sunfire
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite

Why change what I know already works?

Don't take my comment the wrong way. I just don't like the idea of Hydrogen Peroxide leaving a white film on everything. I'm more comfortable with water as I know water simply evaporates.

H202 doesnt leave a white film - its clean. Any residue is oxidised organics. The extra oxygen compared to water (h2o2 v h20) is readily avalable to oxidise carbon. I wasnt telling you to use it, I was just wondering out loud how it might work.

Please tell me about the hand steamer. I wonder if I can convince myself that I need one. Also PCV hose has two ends; which end gets the steam input?

- Vikas

Last edited:
Leave the end hooked up to the IM and disconnect the end on the AF box. I think liquid water would work MUCH better - just as you deglaze a cooking pan with cognac whilst preparing Boeuf Au Poivre.

Originally Posted By: unDummy
I drive fast on a rainy day. It'll clean anything downstream from where ever the water/steam goes.

Are you sure that this would work? Won't the air filter just trap all of the moisture? Or are you removing your air filter when you do this?

Also, why would you need to drive fast? Wouldn't driving normally achieve the same results? I don't really like pushing my Vette too hard on rainy days, for obvious reasons!
grin2.gif

This got me thinking. I have a vacuum tree on my 4.9L I6 which provides vacuum to different things. I have one or two ports that are capped. Would hooking up a water device to one of this blocked ports work for a water decarb job?

That depends on where it would introduce the water in the manifold. It's no good if the water only reaches one cylinder. That's why you try to introduce the water ideally just after the throttle plate.

My brake booster vacuum nipple is between cyls 2 and 3 on my inline 4 intake manifold and looks like it's distributed pretty evenly. Think about it, vacuum brakes are the biggest vacuum load on the engine, they want it to be even across the cylinders so the o2 sensor can adjust for the "leak" and still have it run right.

I use an old plant food sprayer the wife got for my h20 decarb, it holds a quart of water, pumps up with air pressure, and has an adjustable doohickey on the end that goes from spray to mist. Just spray it across the horizontal throttle body. Don't do it enough really.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Please tell me about the hand steamer. I wonder if I can convince myself that I need one. Also PCV hose has two ends; which end gets the steam input?

- Vikas

I used a handheld steamer because I was too chicken to put the hose directly into the water. I disconnected the hose from the PCV end and shoved the steamer's tip down the hose. Other end of the hose was still connected to the intake manifold after the TB. Next time I'm going to use a basketball needle which should restrict enough water to reduce any chance of hyrolocking the engine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Is this method even a good idea ?

Seems like you are asking for trouble with water decarbonization

Specifically what trouble do you think water decarbonization will do? I suppose the Seafoam and Power Foam users are asking for trouble too?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back