Just bought a Ruger P[95DC 9mm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got a new Ruger P-95DC pistol today. 10 year old son is begging to learn to shoot but, the Taurus Model 66 .357 was too much of a gun for his hands to learn on so I opted for the new Ruger. Does anyone here have experience with one? I have had Rugers in the past, they never gave me a problem at all and thats much more than I can say for the Berettas I have owned.

What 9mm ammo seems to work best in this pistol? I've used Hydra Shoks in the past in my Glock and found them very accurate.

Any help would be appreciated.
patriot.gif

Those Rugers are pretty tough. Some of them seem to have problems whan you use aftermarket magazines though, just an FYI. My old P89 hated aftermarket mags but shot great with the factory Ruger mags.

Hydroshocks are very accurate but $$$. I have been using Federal "American eagle" and it have been very accurate, evan at 50 yards.

Good luck!

I've never owned a Ruger 9mm but I used to work at a range where they were rented with little maintinance and we had very few problems with them.

I've got p89 and a p94 stainless. Not the most accurate guns but 110% reliable with factory mags. I kind of think of them as the ak47 of 9mm pistols, built for reliability and can stand up to abuse. Consistently good groups are a challenge for me with them though, unlike most other 9mms.

I've got a P85, P90, P345 and P94 love them all.

I reload for all my firearms so can not comment on the 9mm as far as a factory load. I load a 124gn copper coated RN for my pinking load. Shoots well and cheap!
smile.gif

I carry a .40 cal with factory ammo for protection. (federal 155jhp for that gun)

The rugers are great guns. I've got a few wheel guns from them also.

Take care and enjoy the gun! bill
patriot.gif

I like the AK analogy - bang on (pardon the unintentional). Pretty much always go bang when it should. Accurate enough. What more does one want given the price point? A buddy of mine has a (I think) P89. He likes it well enough.

John.

My first handgun was a P89. I liked it, but it was too heavy (at least to me) to be a good concealed carry gun. I sold it to a co-worker 13 years ago. He still owns & loves it. Functionally, I never had any problems with the Ruger.

When I sold the P89, I made the move to Glock, and never looked back. The Glock sure aint pretty, but it's lighter than the Ruger & gets the job done well.

With that said, Ruger makes some beatiful revolvers, IMO. I'd love to buy one, but the wife would poo-poo that idea in short order.

That is one thing you can alawyas count on Ruger is reliability. They always go bang and almost never jam. Sure their are more accurate offerings out their but you pay dearly for that improved accuracy. I own some Ruger pistols and rifles and they are all durable and always function. My Browning .22LR is much more accurate then my Ruger but the Browning is much more picky about ammo. I can run the cheapest bulk .22LR ammo in my Ruger and it will feed and function all day long. My Mini-30 is the same way it is as reliable as any SKS or AK-47 wish I still had it. It was accurate enough but was not sharp shooter. My SuperRedhawk is built like a brick outhouse and also has never failed to go bang or hit it's mark!Ruger can build an accurate rifle when they want to I have one of their Varmit rifles in .308 and it has a two stage target trigger, heavy barrel and a laminated heavy target stock. It is every bit as good as anything the other OEM's offer in a OEM varmit rifle. Ruger's prices are usualy much more affordable too as long as you avoid the big chain stores!

I have a P-89DC that I've had since 1993. I don't shoot it all the time but I do shoot it periodically. I replaced the extractor a few years ago because it wasn't "extracting". Seemed to have just lost its spring tension. Ruger mailed me one and I replaced it. A couple months back it loosened up again (the new one). I bent it a little (just recurved it a little) and snapped it back in again. I am a little suspect of it now, but it is working at the moment. If it does it again I'll call Ruger and let them know that makes 2....
Other than that I have no problems with it.

Ruger automatics are rock solid pistols that will last longer than you will. I have3 of them in 9. One P85 and one P89 series. basically the same pistol. They feed everything so don't worry about ammo. They're rated ofr plus p powder.

When I bought my P89 back in 92' it was $289 from Country General. I wish I still had that gun!

I have had a P95DC for the past 10 years, and I've put somewhere in the neighborhood of 2000 rounds through it in that time (not too many for 10 years!)

It seems to digest everything; the only ammunition that's ever jammed is Wolf, and even at that, I think out of about 1300 rounds of Wolf, it jammed half a dozen times. And that's it; half a dozen jams out of 2000 rounds.

Like others have said, it's not a total tack driver, but it's adequate for defense & general plinking. If I'm trying to impress someone, I'll take my 22 target pistol or 357 revolver.

Quote:

Got a new Ruger P-95DC pistol today. 10 year old son is begging to learn to shoot but, the Taurus Model 66 .357 was too much of a gun for his hands to learn on so I opted for the new Ruger. Does anyone here have experience with one? I have had Rugers in the past, they never gave me a problem at all and thats much more than I can say for the Berettas I have owned.

What 9mm ammo seems to work best in this pistol? I've used Hydra Shoks in the past in my Glock and found them very accurate.

Any help would be appreciated.
patriot.gif

Rob,

Ruger pistol are build like bank vaults!!!!! They are one of the best made pistols out on the market AND out Army should have adopted it during the trials. The stupid Army doesn't like casted pistols so they chose the Beretta instead.

As far as ammo is concerned each pistol is different and you need to try different brands of ammo to see what works best.

Keep the Ruger as it'll last longer than you will :)

Durango
patriot.gif

Drew99GT,

Ruger P95's are rated for not only +P but, +P+ submachine gun ammo also according to the manual. The ruger shots alot better than the Berettas I've owned in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back