Jump starter worth the money?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like my jump starter. Easy to move, I can use it independently of others and if I'm helping someone else, keeps my car safe from problems. Also, if you end up parked in some hard to reach spot for jumper cables (like a parking garage or parallel parked), you aren't doomed.

I do also carry jumper cables, just in case...

We've got one for a very long time now. Big blue box with the air compressor and SLA battery. Love it. We run a thermoelectric cooler off it when we are out, usually until the battery dies. Plug it in and a day and a half later it is charged. It also charges off the cigarette lighter plug.

I've replaced the battery once and will again until the compressor dies.

We go on a trip and it goes with us - air compressor, flashlight, jumpstart and 12v source. What's not to love?

Last edited:
I like the idea of having one. As long as you keep it charged up I think it's a good idea.

I think an AAA membership gives you a lot more bang for your buck vs a jump starter. The jump starter will get left in your truck and forgotten about, eventually when you do need it, it will be drained and of no use. With AAA your covered for all types of emergencies (flat tire, run out of gas, locked out, etc....).

Just today Costco was selling one of those handheld units for $60 which made it an attractive bargain with the other expensive units. I'd like to get one just in case but I always keep an eye on the vehicles battery and charging system getting one of those would be for to help someone who needs a jump instead.

Last edited:
With modern cars and a good battery, I would say its a waste of money. Like you said, you have cables and are in town. Why have AAA if your not going to use it.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
The nice thing about the jump boxes is I don't have to say NO to someone and can instead have them hook up the jump box backwards so not to destroy my vehicle.

+1. I generally carry a sealed lead-acid one. I'm on my second, the first lasted 5 or 6 years before the battery wouldn't really hold much of a charge anymore. I've used it to jump my own vehicles once or twice, a stranger's vehicle once (stuck in the airport parking lot in the cold -- I was surprised it actually worked!), and I frequently use it to power a compressor for remote tire inflation.

I would MUCH rather use this on a random vehicle helping someone out than hook them up to my car.

When I drove older vehicles I never carried a jump starter or cables. I just had good batteries and a properly functioning charging system.

If your batter is questionable replace it.

I carry them now to jump my contractors trucks many of which have charging issues they simply don't bother fixing for awhile.

Last edited:
I have the remains of a jumper box. It came with a compressor and a light. I melted the compressor and IDK what happened to the light. So I tried to fix the trouble. Broke instead, but saved the 19 AH battery and clamps and the chargers. It is a 19 AH AGM . They are used to back up commercial fire systems and office sized tel/data UPS. It holds a charge very well. The charger is only a 1/2 amp so I plug it in when bad weather is predicted. I attach a 10 watt inverter to it and run the little Bose radio in the kitchen.

i used to own them but found the batt life to be very short and cost more to replace the batt than to buy a whole new unit.

Those boxes use the standard 12V 18A lead acid battery found in scooters, UPS and mowers. You can get the battery for $35 online shipped. A more economical solution is to keep one of these batteries in your trunk along w/ jumper cables. Recharge it once a month. It's far cheaper than spending $90-120 on a jumper box

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rationull
Originally Posted By: Miller88
The nice thing about the jump boxes is I don't have to say NO to someone and can instead have them hook up the jump box backwards so not to destroy my vehicle.

+1. I generally carry a sealed lead-acid one. I'm on my second, the first lasted 5 or 6 years before the battery wouldn't really hold much of a charge anymore. I've used it to jump my own vehicles once or twice, a stranger's vehicle once (stuck in the airport parking lot in the cold -- I was surprised it actually worked!), and I frequently use it to power a compressor for remote tire inflation.

I would MUCH rather use this on a random vehicle helping someone out than hook them up to my car.

What's your worry with using jumper cables? Is there really any risk to your own car?

I find they are worth the money...but only for the other things they do. We take ours camping and the USB ports charge the family's devices quite easily. They provide plenty of power to operate the motor for the air beds too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back