John Deere 110 transaxle

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an old John Deere 110 garden tractor with a 3 speed transaxle. I was wondering what oil I should use in the transaxle when I change it. I have heard that Redline Shockproof is a good choice but hard to find. I am leaning towards Mobil 1 80w140. Thanks,G I hope I didn,t post in the wrong place!

I would imagine anything from straight 90-wt to 80W140 would work. We had a 110 that we used and abused for 20+ years when I was growing up, and we used pretty much whatever gear oil we had in the garage in it. The transaxle never gave any problems at all. Really nothing on that tractor did until the engine finally cracked a ring 10 years into its rebuild. Dad bought a newer JD, and other than having more power its anything BUT a more capable machine.

Just looking at a 110 you'd think that the V-belts on the magic "variator" variable speed drive would wear out in no time, but I don't think we *ever* replaced them on that old 110. Its still sitting in my mother's barn, I'd really like to restore it some day.... if I had infinite time on my hands.

I agree. Any decent gear oil would do. I'd probably use readily available 75w90 or 80w90.

Those are killer transaxles, I believe made by Peerless. I know the 1970 model year JD 110 my family had for many years was a 4spd. 1st gear was an extremely low creeper with 2, 3 and 4 being usable.

The variator gimmick was supposed to give you infinite 'ranges', but usually just screwed things up. You generally hoped no one yanked the variator lever back because like all variator systems on lawn/garden tractors, that center, moveable sheave would lock up on you, and you'd be left crawling along extremely slow.

Belts did last forever on these beasts.

Joel

Good old tractor gman, is it a round fender or a flat fender model?? Agree with the above on transaxle fluid, I've used Mobil 1 75/90 gear oil in old JD's with good results. Don't worry about the gear whine, it's normal.

Those old JD gear drives tended to whine a little due to straight cut gears. 80w90 will work fine but 85w140 will quiet it down a little. I have a 110 and 2 112's and have 85w140 Valvoline in all of them. I have also heard the Redline Heavy Shockproof is the best for use in these, but is expensive and not available locally in many areas. If you want to spring the extra bucks for the Redline, try a motorcycle shop, many people use it in Harley transmissions.

Thanks to everyone who replied! I decided to go with the Mobil 1 85w140 and it seems to have quietened the transaxle down quite a bit! I drained the old oil out and it came out looking like chocolate milk! I put about a qt of kerosene in and drove to the end of my driveway and back, drained it again and then added some regular 80w90 oil and drove it around for about 30 min using all the speeds and gears in the transaxle as well as the variator. I then drained again and added the Mobil 1 and was surprised at how much quieter it was! It still lets you know it has straight cut gears though!!! HM12460 It is a 1964 round fender 110 with an 8 hp Kohler. Thanks again,G

Originally Posted By: cronk
Those old JD gear drives tended to whine a little due to straight cut gears. 80w90 will work fine but 85w140 will quiet it down a little.

This is a great suggestion because these transaxles do whine.

We owned ours waaaay before my BITOG days. I wouldn't have thought to try that.

Joel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back